Softimage 2011.5 With LAGOA!!

News concerning 3D DCC business
izze

Re: Softimage 2011.5 With LAGOA!!

Post by izze » 01 Oct 2010, 15:40

Iray is certainly an exciting technology, but personally I don't think it would really benefit Softimage (or Maya) customers right now, in this release. Also we have to ensure that customers can actually work with and use the technology, its no good to anyone to crowbar a feature in with bad and buggy implementation.
Thank you. I am so glad the Softimage team understands that.

Looking forward to the update!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Oct 2010, 16:37

I've been quoting Stephen Blair a lot lately: :-h
The case of the missing Lagoa

Why aren’t Lagoa and Matchmover mentioned on the Softimage SAP page? Is this omission ominous?

If you ask me, most likely that copy was written when the legal stuff was still being ironed out. I don’t think the omission means anything. You’ll notice that Lagoa is still mentioned on the AREA and on the Autodesk youtube channel (where you can see all the 2011 SAP feature videos).

But Lagoa and Matchmover are still in at the time of this posting. Since it hasn’t been released, there’s always some possibility something could happen, but right now, all I know is that they are still in.
(...)
[my highlight - HB]
source
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 01 Oct 2010, 19:03

izze wrote:
Iray is certainly an exciting technology, but personally I don't think it would really benefit Softimage (or Maya) customers right now, in this release. Also we have to ensure that customers can actually work with and use the technology, its no good to anyone to crowbar a feature in with bad and buggy implementation.

cool, but I just wanted to point out that I wasn't suggesting that iRay was bad or buggy, far from it. Watching one of my Max collegues use it, it looks great. I just noticed how what I said, might have come across like that though, doh!
What I was meaning was that, we'd always want to make sure that any feature implementation is right and our customers can get the most out of it. Although many of our apps share similar features, they also have to be consistent with the UI/workflow of the relevent package as well.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 02 Oct 2010, 00:17

Bellsey wrote:
izze wrote:

cool, but I just wanted to point out that I wasn't suggesting that iRay was bad or buggy, far from it. Watching one of my Max collegues use it, it looks great. I just noticed how what I said, might have come across like that though, doh!
What I was meaning was that, we'd always want to make sure that any feature implementation is right and our customers can get the most out of it. Although many of our apps share similar features, they also have to be consistent with the UI/workflow of the relevent package as well.
I was the one who mentioned iRay and a unit of measure earlier...I wasn't referring to this release persay, but in the near future - i.e. like 2012 hopefully..then that would be a nice addition. To me, the end result is what I get paid by. While Max currently has iRay, there is now a major difference between Apps in terms of overall rendering time and quality/accuracy of renders. I think it is definitely something that needs to be looked at, and I did request it to Autodesk via their request page multiple times. While Lagoa is awesome and so is ICE, for me, in its current stage it has limited actual real-world use aside from maybe VFX or personal curiosity - I guess the future will tell what will come of its uses. Now rendering, everyone needs that more-or-less in one way or another. I am not trying to down-play Lagoa or ICE at all, sans an arguement, I am just saying that negelecting certain extremely important features even that they are being requested multiple times over (iRay is a newer request, but an option for "unit of measure" has been asked for years and years now), should be looked at soon. I definitely agree I dont want things to be rushed to squeeze them into a release, but even in Mental Ray 3.8 some features were not implemented correctly, and still not even touched in this release...that would have been a little nicer to have seen.

So far, I still feel that Lagoa is in Softimage and I agree that the PR statements were most likely written earlier on, but then I also see Owei's point...why were they not corrected? and if nothing has been changed in the release, then those PR statements should be corrected.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Oct 2010, 22:18

One more, concerning the "Lagoa-fear":
Just a quote from an "unrelated" source -
Click on "On-Demand Webcasts" > "Autodesk Softimage" to open up the following:
In this on-demand session, see how the advanced ICE framework can be utilized to enhance CG pipelines by allowing artists to develop complex particle systems with this visual system. Go in depth with the Lagoa multiphysics toolset, as offered to subscription customers in the latest Autodesk® Softimage® advantage pack, and witness how astounding physics systems can be developed and iterated interactively.
;)

rray

Post by rray » 05 Oct 2010, 22:23

Nothing escapes Hirazi's razor sharp eyes ^:)^ :ymapplause:
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 06 Oct 2010, 02:48

Very true...regardless though, it would be nice to know some information soon as my subscription is up in 4 days. They said "...on or after October 7th..." To me it feels like everyone is waiting for the 7th to come. Hopefully, if the release does exceed the 7th that they give another soft date - this way I am not checking every day. What would be really sweet, is if they decided to surprise us and bundle in SlipstreamVX as an added bonus - which would be full circle since Avid orginally hired Exocortex to work on some simluations for Softimage, way back when... (Doubtful, but I am a wishful thinker. :) )

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Oct 2010, 10:15

I don't know if you're aware of this, but the following claim can be found on Stephen Blair's Support Blog
If your Subscription expires within a month of the SAP release, you’ll still be able to download the SAP.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 06 Oct 2010, 10:53

Hirazi Blue wrote:One more, concerning the "Lagoa-fear":
Just a quote from an "unrelated" source -
Click on "On-Demand Webcasts" > "Autodesk Softimage" to open up the following:
In this on-demand session, see how the advanced ICE framework can be utilized to enhance CG pipelines by allowing artists to develop complex particle systems with this visual system. Go in depth with the Lagoa multiphysics toolset, as offered to subscription customers in the latest Autodesk® Softimage® advantage pack, and witness how astounding physics systems can be developed and iterated interactively.
;)
hehe, I know. It's me whose doing the webcast. I've also done the Mudbox one as well.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Oct 2010, 11:15

Thanks, Bellsey! :-bd
I think finally we can consider this myth (in true "Mythbusters" style) totally
busted.jpg
(I know this gag is getting old, but then again so are these myths, arguably!)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Oct 2010, 13:02

A (not very?) cryptic tweet by Luc-Eric Rousseau (about 14 hours before I post this i-) )
My Lagoa sense is tingling...
source
:-?

Ramon

Post by Ramon » 13 Oct 2010, 21:13

very very slow liquid simulation! RF5 much faster

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 14 Oct 2010, 20:30

Ramon wrote:very very slow liquid simulation! RF5 much faster
Yep, true, I´m somewhat dissapointed. Bur then again, I don´t have to buy rf ;) , I even don´t have to leave the application.

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 Oct 2010, 21:07

Well, I'm totally shocked :-o , who would have thought a dedicated application like RealFlow,
costing 2995€ per license, could beat the mighty, mighty Lagoa. :D
Anyway, I don't think "speed" was the foremost consideration for mr. Costa to begin with...

Could someone using both RealFlow and Lagoa maybe cook up some benchmarks?

jamination

Post by jamination » 14 Oct 2010, 22:53

I wonder how some of that stuff was rendered on the demo, I crashed it pretty quick when I up'd the resolution on something fairly simple (I have 12 gig of ram).

origin

Post by origin » 14 Oct 2010, 23:01

I don't think 'fluids' and 'fast' should be mentioned in same sentence.

Anyway old sph fluids was actually simming as *slow* as realflow4.

I find lagoa to be pretty fast(lol) considering what it does.