Luxology releases "modo 401"

News concerning 3D DCC business
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Luxology releases "modo 401"

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Jun 2009, 10:34

Looks interesting... modo 401 x_x ;)
modo delivers the next evolution of 3D modeling, painting and rendering in a single integrated and accelerated package for the Mac and PC. And now, modo is a true end-to-end solution that includes true 3D sculpting tools, animation and network rendering! More than just features, modo is a truly elegant integration of technology, raw horsepower and refined workflow.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

bryitis

Re: Luxology releases "modo 401"

Post by bryitis » 19 Jun 2009, 23:42

yes, it is nice... for modelling. im looking forward to using it with GoZ when that becomes available.

jpfrancisco

Post by jpfrancisco » 24 Jun 2009, 13:53

have you guys tried modo? What can you say comparatively on Softimage? ~o)

jamination

Post by jamination » 10 Jul 2009, 22:00

jpfrancisco wrote:have you guys tried modo? What can you say comparatively on Softimage? ~o)

I use MODO for character modeling and I find it superior to Softimage for that type of workflow by a long shot, it is very easy to use and has a lot of tools, and symmetry that works as it should:)

Of course, all the animation is done in Soft.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

sbowling

Post by sbowling » 14 Aug 2009, 04:01

jpfrancisco wrote:have you guys tried modo? What can you say comparatively on Softimage? ~o)

I dumped Modo for Softimage (XSI at the time) and have never felt the need to go back. Modo retains too many of the quirks and bad workflows from Lightwave and has the worst material/texturing system on the face of the planet.

jamination

Post by jamination » 14 Aug 2009, 04:05

sbowling wrote:

I dumped Modo for Softimage (XSI at the time) and have never felt the need to go back. Modo retains too many of the quirks and bad workflows from Lightwave and has the worst material/texturing system on the face of the planet.
I won't fight you on the material/texturing I would take XSI over it any day, organic modeling goes to Modo, not to say one couldn't do it in XSI.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

Werner

Post by Werner » 14 Aug 2009, 10:24

sbowling wrote:

I totally agree with you. One thing I miss tho is the ability to "smooth shift" or move points, edges or polys on their normal in Soft...can't believe we dont have a tool like this that works. Helge's move normal tool is ok, but it breaks on larger selections...and it only works on polys.

AS for the rest in Modo...they can keep it.

Deracus

Post by Deracus » 14 Aug 2009, 10:54

...i wouldn´t be as strict about that.

Modo has some pretty descent tools and workflows like a way of modelling SubD in Symmetry which is WAY more intuitiv than XSI´s way of doing that (clone, duplicate, -1 Scale, hide....stuff like that is anyoing) and also the renderer with its preview function is pretty handy.

Allthough i´m not considering a switch from XSI to modo i wouldn´t push that piece completely away, as it still is a non-autodesk-bound alternative if things become nasty...

Werner

Post by Werner » 14 Aug 2009, 13:42

Deracus wrote:...i wouldn´t be as strict about that.

Modo has some pretty descent tools and workflows like a way of modelling SubD in Symmetry which is WAY more intuitiv than XSI´s way of doing that (clone, duplicate, -1 Scale, hide....stuff like that is anyoing) and also the renderer with its preview function is pretty handy.

Allthough i´m not considering a switch from XSI to modo i wouldn´t push that piece completely away, as it still is a non-autodesk-bound alternative if things become nasty...
I don't use that method of working in symmetry. I Ctrl A in poly mode to select all polys, then right click on selection to bring up ppg with "Symmetrize polygons". Now you can work with symmetry on till it breaks again...repeat process.

Symmetry breaks in all apps...even Modo.

The only alternative for me would be to move over to houdini.

jamination

Post by jamination » 14 Aug 2009, 18:27

Werner wrote:
Deracus wrote:...i wouldn´t be as strict about that.

I don't use that method of working in symmetry. I Ctrl A in poly mode to select all polys, then right click on selection to bring up ppg with "Symmetrize polygons". Now you can work with symmetry on till it breaks again...repeat process.

Symmetry breaks in all apps...even Modo.

The only alternative for me would be to move over to houdini.

It does break from time to time, mostly due to user fault, however, it is very easy to fix.

I love the Modo pen tool, and the ability to constrain to background layers:)
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions