Fabric Engine EOL

News concerning 3D DCC business
rray

Re: Fabric Engine EOL

Post by rray » 29 Oct 2017, 17:27

Isotropix would be my favorite too. But the wording "no longer developing" sounds so final, speaks more for it having been legally forced down or something.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

jonmoore

Post by jonmoore » 29 Oct 2017, 18:47

Don't expect anything from Foundry. They've just appointed the former CEO of Capita Software Services (suppliers of software to many sectors but mainly government and financial services). For my money Foundry are outdoing Autodesk at their own game when it comes to being faceless and corporate.

Clarisse is interesting, but it's a world away from being a Softimage replacement. I like it's cache based scene building capabilities but being tied to the Clarisse renderer is a big minus for me. They have some of the original XSI developers on board from what I understand, so one never knows. In a dreamer's world it wouldn't be such a bad thing if the the Fabric Engine boys ended up at Isotropix - now there's something to chew on... :)

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 29 Oct 2017, 19:00

Hopefully frozen development till acquisition :\

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 29 Oct 2017, 19:12

rray wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 17:27 Isotropix would be my favorite too. But the wording "no longer developing" sounds so final, speaks more for it having been legally forced down or something.
It does sound final, but it says 'we' are no longer developing.

rray

Post by rray » 29 Oct 2017, 19:32

Good catch. I hope it will be living on somewhere else, so much work went into this and I fear without active development and support, it will disappear much faster from studios than Softimage did, or is doing..

Agreed, Clarisse is like the perfect scene building tool, but lives a bit in its own world. Fabric Engine integration would certainly help with that.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 01 Nov 2017, 15:18

Someone's hinting at Apple as possible buyers on cgtalk?! Anyone heard anything?

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 01 Nov 2017, 15:47

Really sad to hear... The only info I can find is from someone on cgchannel: "I live in montreal, know of the founders personally. sorry to burst people’s bubble but they didn’t get bought out or made a ton of cash. Sadly they went bankrupt hence they can’t disclose any information for now."

jonmoore

Post by jonmoore » 01 Nov 2017, 17:41

gaboraa wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 15:47 Really sad to hear... The only info I can find is from someone on cgchannel: "I live in montreal, know of the founders personally. sorry to burst people’s bubble but they didn’t get bought out or made a ton of cash. Sadly they went bankrupt hence they can’t disclose any information for now."
That's really sad to have confirmed.

But as I said earlier, folk with that much talent will find new avenues.

Draise

Post by Draise » 01 Nov 2017, 18:44

Now.. if only I had atleast a few dozen thousand dollars on me to spare.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 01 Nov 2017, 23:00

gaboraa wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 15:47 Really sad to hear... The only info I can find is from someone on cgchannel: "I live in montreal, know of the founders personally. sorry to burst people’s bubble but they didn’t get bought out or made a ton of cash. Sadly they went bankrupt hence they can’t disclose any information for now."
:( :( :( :(

And at the same time i read all over twitter that Google aqcuires Fabric , but they talk about a twitter inhouse development tool with the same name ~x(

luceric

Post by luceric » 03 Nov 2017, 04:10

I bet they were bought by a place like Disney, and they are under heavy NDA. They were not bought out by someone that intends to continue to the product publically. As a company is failing, the investors try to recoup some of the money they sunk in, and the board of directors would be seeking deals. The founder wouldn't getting much, if anything, from a company being dissolved this way. I doubt the "guy from montreal" on cgchannel would genuinely know anything. If he were really close to anyone, he wouldn't be posting about it. Imagine if you were friend with someone, he told you something in confidence and saw your post -- right below an article on his company that he would obviously see. That's a pretty dumb thing to do.

Draise

Post by Draise » 03 Nov 2017, 16:03

Yeah, would make more sense instead of just closing up shop because no-one working on it can pay the rent.

It is potentially too good to shelf.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 04 Nov 2017, 02:15

luceric wrote: 03 Nov 2017, 04:10 I bet they were bought by a place like Disney, and they are under heavy NDA. They were not bought out by someone that intends to continue to the product publically. As a company is failing, the investors try to recoup some of the money they sunk in, and the board of directors would be seeking deals. The founder wouldn't getting much, if anything, from a company being dissolved this way. I doubt the "guy from montreal" on cgchannel would genuinely know anything. If he were really close to anyone, he wouldn't be posting about it. Imagine if you were friend with someone, he told you something in confidence and saw your post -- right below an article on his company that he would obviously see. That's a pretty dumb thing to do.
I agree, and the fact that you posted that gives me great confidence that it's not your employer, though it may be to some other not much better.

Unless it was the point to give that impression, but I don't think so, but I would reconsider that position if Maya suddenly sported a visual programming system out of the blue :)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 14 Nov 2017, 02:48

rray

Post by rray » 14 Nov 2017, 12:41

my sources tell me that one of these guys sources may be right, or not

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 14 Nov 2017, 13:12

Heheh