AI and Raytracing

News concerning 3D DCC business
ActionArt

AI and Raytracing

Post by ActionArt » 14 Sep 2017, 16:12

This is rather interesting. Using AI to improve sampling.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2017/05/1 ... y-tracing/

mc_axe

Re: AI and Raytracing

Post by mc_axe » 14 Sep 2017, 18:58

This is insane if you think about it it might be the next big thing in rendering.
In a recent convertation i heard about AI algorithms that can clean-up renders, and i was like: what!? i dont believe anything it till i see it working, heh.
But here it is ! 1sec to clean up? That translates to 10folds or 100folds speed up in a typical GPU rendering process.
Seems perfect for guys like me that, dont have pation to wait 90% of the rendering time, to simply go from 95% to 100% quality.

Im just wandering if this de-noise is for any frame, with anything in it, or is the deep learning training optimized for cars alone?
And they used 15000 images of what? :p

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 14 Sep 2017, 22:44

Yeah, someone will expect some new and cool rendering algorithm from manufacturer of renderer, not really a kind of post process, even if data were taken before flattening out in final image. It's looking like admittance of iRay's defeat. And what reference to use when rendering something not existent on planet Earth, extraterrestrial or so, perhaps I could offer my photo :D . We will see...

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 15 Sep 2017, 00:36

Maybe it could be effective, though denoising to date has been mostly "maybe but meh" by the steps involved,
or by noticable artifacts like loss of detail or animation blotchyness.

Could the algorithm really distiguish noise from detail (considering that high frequency detail is so often actually in the noise?)

I guess well see said the blind man B-)