Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
rray

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by rray » 17 Oct 2017, 21:22

I installed the cuda toolkit, after that it renders fine, but XSI hangs after rendering a region. Installing the cuda toolkit also installed new drivers so it might have had to do with that too.

____
no more hanging after restarting, so CPU and GPU mode render fine now after installing the cuda toolkit (gtx770 with drivers version 385.54)
So it was either because of the old driver version or a dependency of something from the cuda toolkit in the plugin.
When it's installed, only issue I found so far is the rgb patterns when using denoiser.
Last edited by rray on 18 Oct 2017, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

nospitters

Post by nospitters » 18 Oct 2017, 13:12

could you tell in more detail how you did it?
what cuda toolkit version did you installed?

@edit
also installed cuda toolkit (newest for win10) with driver included v385.54, but no success, in xsi 2014sp2 it renders only black, and in xsi 2015sp2 it crashes immediatly...
The Soulcage Department
http://www.soulcage-department.de

nospitters

Post by nospitters » 18 Oct 2017, 14:41

i tried something:
when i rename the "lib" folder where the cubins are located, then the plugin shows only cpu mode, and i can render without crash in xsi 2015sp2, but also only black...
The Soulcage Department

rray

Post by rray » 18 Oct 2017, 15:29

I installed cuda_9.0.176_windows.exe from https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit

This on/for windows 7. The plugin seems to require that specific version.

The driver version that came along was 385.54 as well for me.

nospitters

Post by nospitters » 18 Oct 2017, 16:38

so i have no success installing that version, i am on windows 10, so the installer wont let me install the win7 cuda toolkit...
i wait till shekn maybe has a workaround or a working fix also for win10...
The Soulcage Department

Bennyhase

Post by Bennyhase » 18 Oct 2017, 21:59

So RRAY, i´ve installed exactly the same CUDA toolkit like you on win7, but no luck to render with Sycles 1.4 with CPU or GPU, even after restarting :-( Interlaced look pictures...

rray

Post by rray » 18 Oct 2017, 22:25

This is such a mystery.

I seem to be on a lucky streak. On my home pc (Windows 10), where it used to crash, it works great now. What I did was install the windows "fall creator's update". No cuda toolkit.

Maybe it wasn't the cuda toolkit but some very recent windows update on windows 7 that did it. I remember it installed some things after restarting.

Even denoise works (on Windows 10 but not on 7). The only glitch is that sometimes 1 or 2 tiles are missing (transparent) in the render region.. I cannot make any sense out of this.

Bennyhase

Post by Bennyhase » 18 Oct 2017, 23:55

Ok, will try that after making an system image of my computer, because during production i never update my running system. Und außerdem ist es spät. Gute Nacht.

rray

Post by rray » 18 Oct 2017, 23:58

Seems worth a try at least. Gute Nacht ^^

nospitters

Post by nospitters » 19 Oct 2017, 11:25

that could be...i also made on my laptop without nvidia-gpu, the win10 fall creators update and there it renders in cpu mode fine...
just making the update on my workstation (takes very long) to check if this fixes the plugin...let you know then later...
The Soulcage Department

nospitters

Post by nospitters » 19 Oct 2017, 13:05

YEAH...some success.
installed win10 update and now it works, but not stable, but only in xsi2014sp2. xsi2015sp2 also always crashing when pressing the rendering button.
i am on gpu-driver v387.92, i had to go to newest driver, because of some system issues with v385.54 and adobe creative cloud...
some xsi sessions work, but when closing and reopen, it seems to be random working, so sometimes crashing, sometimes working...
so maybe some combination of windows dependancies and cuda related stuff?
(too high for me at the moment...)
The Soulcage Department

jonmoore

Post by jonmoore » 19 Oct 2017, 14:33

Ok we seem to be getting closer to a solution. Going by the hive mind of this thread I both installed the Cuda Toolkit for Win 10 and the Winter Creators update and 1.4 is no longer crashing on my system (the 2016 service update, 2015 R2 SP2 - this came as part of the 2016 Entertainment creation Suite and is the same as the 2015 SP2 AFAIK).

Both CPU and GPU rendering works, however Sycles only renders with my second GPU (I have both a 1080 Ti and a 980 Ti in my workstation, (the 1080 Ti is the GL GPU and the 980 Ti is only used for compute). I did a sanity check with both Redshift and VRay RT and they both render with either GPU or with both (generally how I work).

From what I can see Cycles only has the ability to use a single GPU but in my case it's not rendering with my GL GPU at all. This may explain some of the problems others have been experiencing. But this is progress. Cycles is stable on my system (in limited testing) and both CPU & GPU rendering works.

How strange the world had come when a Microsoft update is a solution rather than a problem! :)

Bennyhase

Post by Bennyhase » 19 Oct 2017, 14:49

That was my question also, i`m working also sometimes with Blender, and there you have the choice like Redshift to use 1 GPU or all GPU´s in your system. In Sycles for XSI there is no checkbox for use all of your GPU´s. Another Win10 system here is updating the Fall Update (needs a loooong time for updating, starting at 9 am and now it is 3pm and not finished....)

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 19 Oct 2017, 16:14

1. About transparent buckets, mentioned by RRay. It appears only on region preview in random locations, and I don't understand why. There are no holes in result saved image, this bug is only on the preview. May be it happens when the render is completed, but Softimage does not update the buffer with preview image. It is not critical.

2. I will try to find the way to use different gpus on render, but the problem is that I can't test it at all. On any available computer I have only one gpu-card.

3. As I understand the crushes can be solved by installing cuda toolkit or by removing lib-folder with *.cubin-s files. In the last case the system will find only CPU for render, but Softimage will work. Is any problems with interlaced render image for now? As I understand Bennyhase have this problem, but Sycles works stable for him. There are two different problems: incorrect render result and crushes with cuda, and these problems should be solved separately.

Bennyhase

Post by Bennyhase » 19 Oct 2017, 16:49

Hi Shekn, you have it still implemented that you can choose which GPU do you want to use for computing, i think the part is to implement ALL GPUs for rendering (like in Blender you can do), so with 2 cards (or 4 i have) the speed for GPU Rendering increases.

Bennyhase

Post by Bennyhase » 19 Oct 2017, 16:54

Success. So for now i have updated another win10 with the Fall Creators Update WITHOUT the Cuda Toolkit, 2x GTX980Ti, CUDA-Version 385.69. No crashes, both GPU and CPU modes will work, no transparent buckets and the Denoising will also work perfectly. I have it tested only with a cube and grid with Cycles AO Material and PrincipledBDSF Shader. I dont have rendered out pictures or tested it with complex scenes and Royalrender, that will i do next...