Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
nospitters

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by nospitters » 16 Oct 2017, 13:57

thanx a lot for your work and effort...
just installed v1.4 on my workstation with gtx780 newest nvidia drivers and running xsi-crash errors. cpu and gpu modes dont work and crashes softimage. simple scene, a sphere with cyBackground light.
on my laptop without any cuda drivers, only cpu rendering is available and it works, no tile rendering errors like in the above descriptions, also denoising works...
seems to do something with the nvidia-cards and drivers, or with the automatic recognition of the gpu-card?
The Soulcage Department
http://www.soulcage-department.de

nospitters

Post by nospitters » 16 Oct 2017, 14:13

hi shken, could you share your develpment harware specs (xsi-version, cpu, gpu, gpu-driver-version, compiler version, cuda-sdk version, etc)?
The Soulcage Department

Bennyhase

Post by Bennyhase » 16 Oct 2017, 14:15

So for all of you have xsi-crashes, i don´t have crashes at all with gpu-mode and v1.4 , but weird results in the viewport ("q-rendering)...

nospitters

Post by nospitters » 16 Oct 2017, 15:15

what specs do you have (xsi-version, cpu, gpu, gpu-driver-version, etc)?
The Soulcage Department

Bennyhase

Post by Bennyhase » 16 Oct 2017, 16:03

Softimage 2015 Build 13.0.114.0
GPU: 2x Geforce GTX 1070
GPU Driver: 378.66
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: i7-5820K @3.30GHz
RAM 64GB

I have tested your Sycles without any connected workgroups or 3rd party plugins (because im using Redshift also). No crashes, but black picures if im rendering with Sycles.

Tomorrow there will be coming 2 new Geforce 1080 and will i am replacing those 1070 to 1080 Cards and will try it again.

nospitters

Post by nospitters » 16 Oct 2017, 16:42

my config:

softimage 2015sp2 build 13.2.163.0
GPU: Geforce GTX 780
GPU Driver: 387.92
Windows 10 pro 64-bit
CPU: i7-3930 @3.2GHz
RAM: 16GB

also deactivated my workgroups...but no chance to render anything, xsi crashes imediatly when doing a rendering...
maybe also softimage version...
cant test with older xsi-versions, because sycles is compiled for si2015...
maybe shken can do a compile for 2013sp1, i can provide the sdk for it...
The Soulcage Department

Draise

Post by Draise » 16 Oct 2017, 16:46

I was using SI 2015 SP2, the last release.

nospitters

Post by nospitters » 16 Oct 2017, 16:53

i am installing si2014sp2 and si2015 to test, if its maybe a softimage-version problem...
i know that the redshift people always provide their plugins for several si versions, like 2013, 2014, 2014sp2...so the max version for them is 2014sp2 wich will also work for the lastest 2015sp2 version...
maybe shken can tell more about his compile and the xsi-sdk version...
The Soulcage Department

Bennyhase

Post by Bennyhase » 16 Oct 2017, 16:57

Ok, maybe it´s a ServicePack issue... but the only different between my version and NOSPLITTERS SP2 is that my Soft will not die (haha) but black pictures.

(Schön zu hören, daß es hierzulande noch Studios gibt mit XSI, hier in München schauts echt mau aus und ich muß langsam in die Maya-Hölle wechseln...)

nospitters

Post by nospitters » 16 Oct 2017, 17:07

ok xsi2014sp2 does load the plugin, but the same as in 2015sp2...immediate crash on rendering, both cpu or gpu no matter, with the preview button.
so next try with an older nvidia-driver. maybe the driver version...trying bennyhase driver-version.
The Soulcage Department

nospitters

Post by nospitters » 16 Oct 2017, 17:26

ok, with the driver version 378.66 it renders now without crashing, but only black, like bennyhase said....
maybe more older driver version?
sheken, what nvidia-driver version do you use?

@edit: rendering to file crashes xsi...
The Soulcage Department

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 16 Oct 2017, 18:00

1. I used only the last version of the Softimage (2015 SP2). No reasons to use older version.

2. As I remember Sycles 1.4 compiled with Cuda 8.0, but I don't remember the version of the driver.

3. I think that the problem in some libraries, what used for compile addon. May be some dependencies on the system or something similar.

4. I test addon on different systems and machines and find, that on Windows 8.1 all works correctly (on my system and on another computer). On clear Windows 7 render works but the result is interlined (and crashed if trying to save the render result). I try to test addon on different virtual machines (with Win 10 and Win 7), but in all cases the result is absolutely correct (no crashes, no damaged images). May be it is because on the host machine also all works correctly.

nospitters

Post by nospitters » 16 Oct 2017, 19:35

i will download cuda 8.0, there is a driver included in the installation.
but what driver version do you use currently(nvidia-control panel)?
is there any win10 sdk for your vs development in win 8.1 environment? maybe this would help for win10 issues...
or best compile on win10 with win7 sdk, win8.1 sdk
also i will test it on win 8.1, i have a workstation with that...
but i think its the cuda sdk, because i read something, that they changed something in the newest (v10 for win10)...also on my laptop(win10, si2015) without cuda it works...no black renderings..

another thing is, that when doing a build for blender with cycles, cmake always asks for cuda 6.5. maybe the code is optimized for that version? (only an idea)

are the cuda arch bins integrated in the plugin dll?
in this integration of cycles https://cyclesformax.net/, the bins are provided as extra files...
The Soulcage Department

Bennyhase

Post by Bennyhase » 17 Oct 2017, 09:48

So, i´ve also tested on a fresh clean win7 64bit environment with freshly installed XSI 2015 (same build), same results like with win10. Interlined results with both CPU and GPU, but i can save the pictures. So no difference between win7 and win10 in my case. I will have a look if i have also a win 8 install medium here....

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 17 Oct 2017, 10:03

By cuda binaries you mean *.cubin files? If so, then in Sycles these files should be in lib folder near cyclesRenderer.dll file in the Sycles\Application\Plugins folder. I think that for crashes and interlined render results the gpu driver is unimportant, because the same happens also with CPU rendering.

nospitters

Post by nospitters » 17 Oct 2017, 10:18

my fault, found the cubins...also cycles v1.8.1 needs min cuda 8.0
strange is that with the newest nvidia-drivers on rendering xsi crashes no matter what mode, cpu or gpu. but with an older driver it renders something, but black...as i mentioned, on my laptop without any nvidia-card, cpu mode renders fine....
so my conclusion was that there is a relation between cuda ann no cuda...
The Soulcage Department