Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

News concerning 3D DCC business
Mathaeus

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by Mathaeus » 11 Feb 2017, 21:16

Bellsey wrote: The bottomline though is that when there's a update (of any kind) to your software, you always test before deploying. If you don't then you run the risk of things breaking and going wrong. I don't think its fair to blame a software vendor for not doing your own due diligence. If you did, and things are going wrong due to something the vendor has done, well that's different.
Imho that could be ethically correct, if they'll be able to do not buy a new version. Like with Modo or C4d, if trial doesn't fit, one will not pay for upgrade, and that's it. But... once everyone is under subscription, only choice is to leave some AD software, sooner or later. For now it seems that AD is playing a very risky business with Maya, by lowering the quality as much as they believe it's possible.
These long time Maya users probably will proceed with their fighting to survive, after all, Maya always been more flaky software than others. Some others will not - personally I'll probably keeping Maya LT, but, when guys from local facility asked for advice, does it worth to add some Mayas to existing Maxes, I said, no, what else. Some others will go on Houdini or c4d route (for those who don't know, Maxon even shows a list of names of people permanently employed in their quality check department, and stability exactly fits to what someone will expect from geographic location of developer).
Somehow sad story is Maya these days, especially for few of us who were Maya fanboys, long time ago. But it's reality who says 'no Maya', today...
Last edited by Mathaeus on 11 Feb 2017, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 11 Feb 2017, 21:35

mc_axe wrote: Anyways I dont understand how they plan to convert a 3rd of Maya pirates to subs, without even doing proper in house tests before a release.
I think they do not planning to convert people to Maya, exactly. Instead, there is a bunch of smaller software, like Maya LT, Fusion 360, cheaper and easier to maintain by AD. Some aspects of 'decomposing Maya' seems to be done, already. While ago AD bought t-spline plugin and *stopped* development of that plugin for Maya. Instead, technology appeared in cloud-based Fusion 360, which seems to be really successful, btw. Now Maya 2017 can not export IGES anymore. At the end of the day, Maya veterans probably will be left, where pro Macintosh users are today, with few irrelevant updates from time to time,.... and nice cellphones all around.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 13 Feb 2017, 20:48

Maya 2017 is doing a great job of converting people away from Autodesk. What was released should have baked for about 3 more months at least in QA. Its buggy , slow and frustrating. especially when there are great things that you should be playing with, instead of restarting the program.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 14 Feb 2017, 03:26

Didn't already got 2 or 3 Service packs or what they are called about today? shouldn't that have fixed major probs?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 14 Feb 2017, 11:13

Bullit wrote:Didn't already got 2 or 3 Service packs or what they are called about today? shouldn't that have fixed major probs?
Some issues were fixed, like ability to work with newest nvidia drivers - or maybe negotiated with nvidia - at least I have that impression with Maya LT, which is, well, simplified.
Some others, like random behavior of windows size and content, are f...ed up in update 2, if I'm correct, because someone at AD tried to 'patch' them incompetently. In initial version, remembering of last window layout was just broken, always reverting to default, so at least it was possible to supply another default by some MEL monkeying. Now it remembers the layout, but it displays a wrong content of window, or nothing, and Maya crashes if you try to close the 'phantom' window. At this point I really lost my energy to investigate why is that.

Note that, for us who coming from Max or SI, actually it's not easy to recognize in Maya, what's bug and what's 'feature' ( I'm talking without any sarcasm). For example, I've complained about Target weld behavior, in subdivision mode it suddenly displays both, cage and subdivided wireframe, 4 selected points instead of 2, making it a way *harder* to do the weld thing, so only way is to always go back to un subdivided mesh before welding - and they explained me that, this is by design. An so on an so on and so on....
Anyway, better to stop talking about that Maya thing.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 14 Feb 2017, 21:27

Thanks for update Mathaeus. Bad omen when something like that is let to fester.

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 15 Feb 2017, 14:30

What used to be service packs is no longer the case in Maya as they changed the name to "Updates". Maya 2017 is buggy and unstable and AD should be providing bugs fixes at no cost. But because of the renaming, its not the case.

3DS Max, in the other hand get it right for once. AD should revert to distinguishing between service packs (which are mainly bug fix open to all customers of a version) and extension packs for Maya, specially for 2017 which is the most unstable version for years IMHO. Maya 2017 is so buggy that I reverted to 2016 for sake of sanity.

(and I am off my soapbox for today, I feel better now, breath in...breath out)
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 16 Feb 2017, 12:04

Just a small update, now in 195th day of Maya 2017 elemental disaster :D , or 75th day if we are counting from update 2. Imho it's comparable only with Second Great Mental Ray Nan Pandemic in times of XSI 6, older SI users will remember, at least those who survived :D . So, in Cg talk thread one of developers saying ''We did integrate lots of Qt patches and fixed lots of known UI issues.'', which leads to another question, is it only about Maya. Or.... QT, so bellowed by TDs, is not so ''cute" ? Perhaps we will have chance to see in next days with Houdini 16 release, also coming with QT5.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 16 Feb 2017, 23:42

Does Houdini usually came with a Demo version at release time?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 16 Feb 2017, 23:55

Bullit wrote:Does Houdini usually came with a Demo version at release time?
It's free Apprentice version, with some limitations, you could run it forever I think. Don't know is there need to register somewhere, after all maybe they'll change something with h16.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 19 Feb 2017, 15:55

Thus far Houdini has come with a free Apprentice license. You don't have to register anywhere, just download an installer from their website and select the appropriate license type when installing the program.
I don't think H16 will be any different.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 20 Feb 2017, 00:03

Thanks. It is Feb 21 isn't it?

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 20 Feb 2017, 20:37

Yep
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 21 Feb 2017, 20:07

it's available for download now!

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Feb 2017, 20:34

Maya Update 3 seems to be available. Any coincidence is purely coincidental :D

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 21 Feb 2017, 21:44