Houdini 16

News concerning 3D DCC business
Fianna

Houdini 16

Post by Fianna » 04 Feb 2017, 01:15

Hi guys - just wanna share a sneak peek video showing some of the tools in Houdini 16.

Also, there will be live stream from event we are holding in London this coming Monday (Feb 6th). Oli - maybe I see you there! :-)))
Cheers guys+have nice weekend.

-fianna

Draise

Re: Houdini 16

Post by Draise » 04 Feb 2017, 04:44

It is.. looking better and better.

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 04 Feb 2017, 05:27

Wow! Great stuff and congrats for this great release! That´s what I call passion. So much stuff! Yes, I´ll be around on Monday! Cu on Monday then! Looking forward! And I hope to meet some good old Softies, too ;)

Fianna

Post by Fianna » 04 Feb 2017, 13:56

:-bd hahaaa cool B-) hopping on a plane now..see ya in few hours!

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 04 Feb 2017, 14:06

Cool! Have a save trip and greets to Jeff, Paul, Scott and all other SideFX guys and girls coming with you ;)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 04 Feb 2017, 21:39

+ Hero wave, nice interface improvements, apparently reliable booleans.

- Continues miserable cloth simulation, still complex GUI.

NNois

Post by NNois » 06 Feb 2017, 13:12

Bullit wrote:still complex GUI
What exactly do you consider as complex ?

Rork

Post by Rork » 06 Feb 2017, 16:29

I'll be watching the event online tonight, but would have loved to be in London for this.

Maybe next time, or move it to Amsterdam <hint hint> ;)

Another great release!

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 07 Feb 2017, 04:58

From SideFX website
SideFX is pleased to announce that Houdini Core – previously known as simply Houdini – is now being offered for $1,495 USD - a 50% discount from the regular price. This promotion celebrates a powerful collection of features including procedural modeling, animation, character rigging, lighting and rendering, compositing, terrain generation and volumes.

While Houdini is best known for its VFX tools, there are lots of other parts of the pipeline that would benefit from a procedural approach. We are excited to offer this promotion to studios interested in taking advantage of the great character rigging, terrain generation and lighting tools in Houdini Core.

by Kim Davidson, President and CEO, SideFX
Houdini Core works with scene files and Houdini Digital Assets [HDAs] created using the dynamics and simulation tools in Houdini FX and have access to unlimited Mantra render tokens. Game developers can use Houdini Core to create digital assets that can be opened in game engines such as Unity and UE4 using the Houdini Engine plug-ins.

This promotion is for a Houdini CORE Perpetual Local Access Floating License and is available from February 6 to May 31, 2017. The price includes the first year of the Annual Upgrade Plan, which provides key advantages such as production-level technical support and online daily builds.

New Lower Rental Pricing

SideFX is also pleased to announce new lower rental prices for Houdini Core and Houdini FX. This provides SideFX customers with the license scalability they’ve been requesting for short-term or project-specific needs. Perpetual licenses can be used for long term studio use while rentals make it easier to handle bursting. Rental costs are $1,995 USD annually and $255 USD monthly for Houdini Core Local Access Floating licenses and $4,995 USD annually and $625 USD monthly for Houdini FX Local Access Floating licenses. Studios should contact their Account Executive for full details.

Houdini 16

At the Houdini 16 Launch Event held at Rich Mix in London, SideFX previewed a wealth of new features, including: a new node network editor, viewport radial menus, booleans, terrain generation, auto-rigging tools, a new shading workflow and much more. Houdini 16 will be released on February 21, 2017 and will be available for download at SideFX.com.
For more details go to SdeFX website at https://www.sidefx.com/get/buy/
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Rork

Post by Rork » 07 Feb 2017, 09:41

SHOTS FIRED!!!!!! :D

Watched the event last night (with some hickups..), and love the direction SideFX is taking.
I'm pretty sure a lot of people will like the new price of Houdini Core, and all the new tools.

Already seeing a lot of great possibilities with the new ocean and terrain tools, and the new radial menus and node views will definitely help.

I see one problem though....... A lot of Houdini videos online will feel very outdated (or confusing) when you have worked with H16 ;)

But comparing this to some other great.. ahum... 3D software, this release is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.. It really is. It's awesome. Really, it is... B-)

Can't wait until the 21th, so we can download and play with it ourselfs.

rob

@Fianna: Who's the jazz fan at SideFX? ;)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 07 Feb 2017, 11:24

Well I would say that presentation was a pretty clear demonstration of the way Houdini is going and the kind of people SideFX are. They didn't say it outright but they have people like us Softies and others in their sights. They actually listened to what people need and they have generated a lot of good will towards them.

It's nice to be excited about this industry again. Now they just need to get the Cloth sorted. :)

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 07 Feb 2017, 16:28

SamHowell wrote:... Now they just need to get the Cloth sorted. :)
I may be faster to deliver your wish, when I will start implementing Phy.. later this month, but :-$ about it for now :-

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 07 Feb 2017, 17:11

nodeway wrote:
SamHowell wrote:... Now they just need to get the Cloth sorted. :)
I may be faster to deliver your wish, when I will start implementing Phy.. later this month, but :-$ about it for now :-
Cool :D I'll keep an eye out for it.

Good to see the Think Procedural Discord forum doing so well. It's really become a lively place very quickly.

Fianna

Post by Fianna » 08 Feb 2017, 03:22

@Rork - there's a few jazz fans at work but if you are wondering who picked the music for the evening, i gotta say, i have no idea :) wasn't me :)

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 08 Feb 2017, 06:03

SamHowell wrote:Well I would say that presentation was a pretty clear demonstration of the way Houdini is going and the kind of people SideFX are. They didn't say it outright but they have people like us Softies and others in their sights. They actually listened to what people need and they have generated a lot of good will towards them.

It's nice to be excited about this industry again. Now they just need to get the Cloth sorted. :)
Round about thee 54 minute mark on the youtube stream there is a subtle shout out to the Softimage community. ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 08 Feb 2017, 06:35

SamHowell wrote:Good to see the Think Procedural Discord forum doing so well. It's really become a lively place very quickly.
Yeah, it's growing quite fast.