The Foundry ships Modo 10.2

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 Oct 2016, 15:50

CGChannel

Summary:
  • MeshFusion workflow is now Schematic-free
  • Better viewport performance and more accurate output
  • A few updates to conventional modelling tools
  • New automatic retopology system for controllably decimating dense meshes
  • Procedural modelling now works with more tools; new option to export presets
  • Lighting and rendering changes include support for Mesh Lights
  • Deformation caching improves animation playback
  • UI changes and smaller features
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Draise

Re: The Foundry ships Modo 10.2

Post by Draise » 14 Oct 2016, 17:41

I like how you mentioned the better viewport performance and more accurate output twice. It must be much better!

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 14 Oct 2016, 17:57

Hm...seems that modo won´t leave it´s "modelling and rendering stills" niche. As people complaint about "really" slow viewport, they seem to take of this ;)
Still, far from where Soft is in most areas ;) And the SDK is pure horror, according to a good friend of mine..all in all, a little disappointing...

julius

Post by julius » 14 Oct 2016, 18:17

Yes, nothing here which could change the game...sadly. :(

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 Oct 2016, 18:43

Draise wrote:I like how you mentioned the better viewport performance and more accurate output twice. It must be much better!
Oops :ymblushing:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 15 Oct 2016, 21:35

Modo still has a lot of advantages over... Maya, exactly in field of direct modeling, quick (simple) scene building, rendering. It's looking like realistic decision to emphasize what they already have in that comparison. Things like generally usable interface, usable input fields/sliders. Newly added radial menus are... radial menus, not a weird mix of list and radial menu invoked by obscure combo of shortcuts and MMB and so on, not even recognizable over some complex wire-frame. I think Modo is a way faster than mention app, with topology operations, like weld, cut edge. It's subdiv friendly, while in that other app, every third operator displays cage by it's own will, so Maya imho hardly even fits into description of subd modeler.

While yeah, all these advantages disappears in comparison to Softimage. Also, can't imagine generalist's work, where someone will switch to Modo for a while, just because is nicer, sometimes. New modifier stack reminds to sad story of their Order Of Operator feature from 601. It seems the modifiers are placed into folders or something, which theoretically allows more options like usable branching, but effectively kills the basic advantages of any modifier stack, like simplicity or easy maintenance.

Won't update my 801, in last few years since Houdini Indie, launched Modo only few times. Anyway it's nice to see something, possible to ask in some facility as alternative to Maya for modeling, or old-fashion interpolated GI against Arnold in Maya, maybe even particle volume renders.

jonmoore

Post by jonmoore » 15 Oct 2016, 23:02

Volume rendering is pretty horrid and the new channel stuff added in 10.2 doesn't allow channel remapping - which is pretty essential if you're feeding a mix of input sources such as Houdini, FumeFX etc. Luckily Explosia allows remapping on VDB export but why render in Modo when Redshift is a far better option.

Modo is still a great direct modeller and they've sorted out many of the stability issues (I'm amongst a dedicated bunch of beta testers so I feel confident in that stability statement) but many features still feel over engineered and the procedural system (glorified modifier stack) is cumbersome and suffers from serious performance issues.

All in all, 2 steps forward, 1 step back IMHO.

In saying all that, 40% off new licenses and 20% of upgrades at the moment makes a lot of sense purely for the direct modelling tools and rendering toolset. Nailing the performance issues seems to be the developer's next target, so those already on the Modo train have reason for hope.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 16 Oct 2016, 09:38

Can Modo direct modeling do something like this:

Drawing in the screen to build an hard edge in the mesh behind?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 16 Oct 2016, 11:44

Bullit wrote:Can Modo direct modeling do something like this:
Nope, unfortunately Modo generally seems to be 'stripped off' of any advanced algorithm. Even relax is a joke compared to SI or Maya brushed variance. Modo has no Nurbs, polygon reducer is another joke compared to SI thing, now integrated in Maya. To be fair, it has surface snapping functionality, but imho this is not easy to manage like SI Shrink Wrap or Maya Live. UV editing also shows age compared to new options in Maya and Max. That's why I almost forgot Modo when Maya LT become available, despite the Maya... complexity, to say politely.
It's literally all in Modo, about very basic set of user friendly mesh operations in Lightwave style, extrude or add edge in this or that way, that's it.

Regarding Instant Meshes, found it wonderful for tasks like in pic. Same takes minutes in 3d Coat, against seconds in Instant Meshes . Thanks for link! However far from enough for deformed characters, not enough precision, still too high resolution.

jonmoore

Post by jonmoore » 16 Oct 2016, 13:48

Bullit wrote:Can Modo direct modeling do something like this:

The Modo team licensed the 'Instant Meshes' technology for use in Modo 10.2. And much as Mathaeus suggests, the technology has the same limitation when it comes to providing low poly animatable topology.

Where the Modo/Instant Meshes technology excels is in providing more workable topology from scan data. The resultant quad topology speeds up manual retopology tasks using Modo's standard retopology tasks when creating final low poly assets.

You could do the same thing by using Instant Meshes in tandem with Modo but it's nice to have it fully integrated within Modo.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 19 Oct 2016, 21:23

Thanks for info.

Rork

Post by Rork » 23 Oct 2016, 17:27

If you want a free stand-alone app for this, have a look at http://www.blendernation.com/2015/11/16 ... y-program/

Thanks to @Druide for the tip!! ;)

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 23 Oct 2016, 23:44

Thanks but...i have been posting about Instant Meshes here in the forum... see post #8 on this topic. :D

Rork

Post by Rork » 24 Oct 2016, 09:21

My bad, I saw the retopo thingy and the little app popped up in my mind ;)

still useful though :)

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!