3DS Max 2017

News concerning 3D DCC business
Mathaeus

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by Mathaeus » 03 May 2016, 23:10

Bullit wrote:3DsMax is everywhere and survived because they were not elitist - including cost- and because of that openness had always the best render engine for the market. They were on top of GI revolution.
And more... While is not blazing fast with some modifiers, it always provided as much complete logic when dealing with them. For example basic things, it can automatically update topology change bellow skin modifier (well not in SI range, but it can) - or, it can capture morpher into separate object and put the new object back into target list. While in Maya, both belongs to to idiotic risky procedures, to this very day. Just tried out the new blend shape editor in latest Maya, and same style of inconsistency is there again - finally it can do smooth (curved) progressive morphing out of the box, but *only* in case of live editing (so, no external shapes), because interpolator seems to be buried into blendshape node in this case..... unbelievable, how they are able to f**k up even basics, to be ten times more complex than building everything from scratch in Houdini or ICE.

Or, to speak about general, not character related functionality, nice example from Modo forums, how guy got his medical animation in Max. Same in Maya is heavy task for experienced TD.

These days I'm finally getting Maya LT thing, generally I like modeling tools, can live with Maya 'stack' for modeling. But for everyday use, anything more complex is simply bellow civilization standards, can't imagine this in fighting with deadlines. First of all, software who expect *me* to remember its idiotic picking procedures, just to get something to work, instead of explicit guidance like in everywhere else. Then, deformations, and new and new layers of over complicated, but still not complete controls over everything. No go.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 04 May 2016, 02:01

You should check the future Modo. It'll have a form of stack, nurbs and improved MeshFusion. Go Foundry!

Now they just need to improve on performance, since Modo bogs down really fast in heavy scenes / meshes.

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discu ... 3&t=122339

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 04 May 2016, 04:53

I agree that was an important step for Modo!

One of the clips feels Icy, showing how the initial selection before effects can be changed or driven by things like angle to next polygon (using nodes)

I would be happy if Modo came to be a good option enough for it to be considered for "hi-end" in vfx shops around, and that aspect definitely is a good step towards that!

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 04 May 2016, 05:09

Yeah, but from some simple tests I did, C4D is the one who has the best performance (after Maya). I really like how C4D uses low ram on large scenes. Modo eats ram for breakfast. :)

But Maxon is more closed than Autodesk, so the Foundry is a good change. They are really transparent.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 04 May 2016, 05:31

I agree, among other things UX wise with C4d, but if either one "made-it" to VFX shops around I would be happy.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 04 May 2016, 10:05

MauricioPC wrote:You should check the future Modo. It'll have a form of stack, nurbs and improved MeshFusion. Go Foundry!
Don't like to wait anymore. Already had Modo for four years, did some renders of imported things, and that's more or less all. Also, don't have a willing force to run exotic software again, explaining to someone that I'm running a 3d software, not some kind of perfume. It's only Softimage who deserved such status.
So, case locked to Maya LT and Houdini Indie for home, re-learning Max for possible jobs in future.
To say again, it's not something in Maya that I don't understand. For long run projects ( including some complex modeling or rigging) it can go, but for everyday maneuverability of one-man-band and appropriate tasks, no way.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 04 May 2016, 11:41

Houdini is my side project, hehe. Something I like but that takes time to learn.

If Maya LT was something like Houdini Indie or Modo Indie, I would consider it. After all, I can render at 4k in Modo Indie and the quality of the render is almost vray like.

I'm not specifically focused at games, so Max would make more sense because it's used everywhere.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 04 May 2016, 12:13

MauricioPC wrote:
If Maya LT was something like Houdini Indie or Modo Indie, I would consider it.
If you have too much of free time, even LT is enough to fill that for few years - just start to customize it... :D
No need to engage your CPU - GPU....

fabilabo

Post by fabilabo » 04 May 2016, 19:35

what what what ! dat new version of modo integrate what i wanted from years, operators ala SI, with the option te add, remove, delete componements... big step.
I have to try it, modo is peraps what we need after SI !

Look awsome to me