Autodesk acquires Solid Angle

News concerning 3D DCC business
nDman

Re: Autodesk acquires Solid Angle

Post by nDman » 19 Apr 2016, 01:15

I'm not sure but this new ART render engine looks like to be some sort of Arnold port!

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 19 Apr 2016, 03:04

ART is a render that's available in Revit and other AD products. From what I read online, they ported to Max to test the new render API, preparing Max to receive Arnold in the future/next release.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 19 Apr 2016, 04:44

I don't know what it will resemble more among other acquisitions in terms of outcome,
but regardless, based on other absorptions it might perhaps at best slow down (innovation), perhaps like Naiad (also only for maya now) or even Mental Ray (under Nvidia)
(once they are not themselves anymore and only a tiny part of big entities...)

and at worst, like Mudbox (also only for maya now), or other things that dissolved or became something else under overarching wings.

I don't think it would become for Maya only, but I would be surprised if it had a better outlook than if they didnt sell or if sold to basically any other company.

caledonian_tartan

Post by caledonian_tartan » 19 Apr 2016, 09:22

how much did they pay?
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 19 Apr 2016, 10:34

FXDude wrote: or even Mental Ray (under Nvidia)
just as a side note,
mental ray is now free from ad. there is no control of ad over it anymore in terms of developement or its decisions (for maya).

for arnold,
forget what booth parties are saying today about the future or support of all the bridges. we have to wait minimum 1 year, maybe 2, to see what will happen.

for me, the whole thing makes no sense (in terms of pushing arnold). ad was never interested, i mean, seriously interested, in rendering developement.
the ART renderer is a very simple thing and far away from beeing a production renderer. arnold on the other side, needs some serious developement. so i hope they have something in their hand for the near future, finished now, without the need of an ad render dev team.
because, if the same thing will happen with the orig team of mudbox or si's one, arnold's future will be bright.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Apr 2016, 12:49

CGChannel obviously mentioned the acquisition also: Autodesk buys Solid Angle.
What's interesting is the part about perpetual licensing:
In the short term, not very much: Autodesk has confirmed that there will be no changes in pricing, and that all existing product support contracts remain in place.

The company has also confirmed that it will not be discontinuing perpetual licences for Arnold, despite having just moved to a rental-only model for all of its other software products.

When we asked, Autodesk told us that the business models of the two sets of products were “very different”.

On pressing a bit harder, we were told that one of those differences was that “customers of Side Effects don’t necessarily want to move to subscription”.
The implication being that all other customers just love the transition to a subscription scheme... :-
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 19 Apr 2016, 15:19

Nice find Hirazi!

luceric

Post by luceric » 19 Apr 2016, 15:26

I'm sure redshift is awesome for you on your peecee, but it's not relevant to what's happened as there is no market for it or other GPU-based renderers for cloud rendering.
You want something that people want to render on big farms of cpus.

bb3d

Post by bb3d » 19 Apr 2016, 15:44

luceric wrote:I'm sure redshift is awesome for you on your peecee, but it's not relevant to what's happened as there is no market for it or other GPU-based renderers for cloud rendering.
I just hope, that the Autodesk bosses think the same :ympray:

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 19 Apr 2016, 16:50

luceric wrote:I'm sure redshift is awesome for you on your peecee, but it's not relevant to what's happened as there is no market for it or other GPU-based renderers for cloud rendering.
You want something that people want to render on big farms of cpus.
Well moving past insulting most people on the forum , you can already do cloud-based GPU rendering in Octane. ORC scales very well. What is going to be of interest is how the cost / frame / acceptable time compares between CPU and GPU, and how seamless that process is for people to use.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

luceric

Post by luceric » 19 Apr 2016, 18:51

ok that's true, there is market for GPU rendering; otoy is in it, as well other providers, some providing iray.
but I don't think Autodesk gets out of bed [edit:and goes shopping around] unless there are miliions of dollars to make selling services to studios.
Last edited by luceric on 19 Apr 2016, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 19 Apr 2016, 19:49

luceric wrote:ok that's true, there is market for GPU rendering; otoy is in it, as well other providers, some providing iray.
but I don't think Autodesk gets out of bed unless there are miliions of dollars to make selling services to studios.
And that is the problem !
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

jamination

Post by jamination » 19 Apr 2016, 22:41

I supposed it wouldn't be a problem (about autodesk, not interested unless there is a ton of money to be had) but they keep gobbling companies that are making very interesting tools (that people are quite happy with) then either disgarding them when times are tough or they are not performing to their satisfaction then they get cut or left to rot.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 20 Apr 2016, 00:04

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ ... C-htm.html

I don't see any mention of the creator of Character Studio anywhere on that page... They brought him along to continue development too.

Shotgun.. Shotgun... Shotgun.. the exception to the rule (so far) of AD not completely screwing an acquisition. Just ignore the trail of the abused... Shotgun proves.. well nothing.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 20 Apr 2016, 00:31

Well, this version of Max has received some very interesting under the hood updates. Hopefully, Arnold will come out of the box for Max.

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 20 Apr 2016, 12:14