Krita 3 released

News concerning 3D DCC business
Rork

Re: Krita 3 Pre Alpha, features are set (updated)

Post by Rork » 21 May 2016, 17:49

Just had a brain fart, and switched my pen setting from 'mouse mode' to 'pen mode'.

Instant pen pressure! So this seems to be a issue when using your tablet/pen in 'mouse mode'. Oddly enough 'mouse mode' works just fine in PS or Sketchbook.

I'll investigate a bit more.

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Bullit

Re: Krita 3 Pre Alpha, features are set (updated)

Post by Bullit » 21 May 2016, 18:01

Wonderful.

Krita FAQ, Help for those that want to start.

https://docs.krita.org/KritaFAQ

FXDude

Re: Krita 3 released

Post by FXDude » 01 Jun 2016, 21:42

For me, I would personally consider the first Photoshop alternative which has similarly functional selection tools in terms of capability.

Sounds simple enough, but selecting pixels with gradual modulation by pixel sample difference in Photoshop can be like keying.

You can select a range of pixel values, make a grayscale (with gradients) mask out of it (on a duplicate or a new empty layer),
and edit that masks (or selection) on the fly as an image, perhaps editing with Dodge and Dim brush to expand, shrink, or sharpen different areas, or of course to brighten or dim, or merge it with other (color range generated) masks.

And while - Krita,
- AffinityPhoto, which closest to Photoshop and which is also coming to windows at some point,

or Photoline which has some unique and interesting (procedural & hi bit depth) capabilities,
but with the most awkward workflow/interface for many basic things
(ie; copy/pasting anything between masks and layers is a 10 step process),

.. while all mentioned solutions have become quite complete and can have their own pros, it seems that for a variety of reasons, none of these alternatives are able to make something remotely as capable or straight forwards at least for that selection/masking aspect (yet), but which i think is essential among perhaps a few more yet more minor things, and that Photoshop part (as well as for many other basic parts) was feature complete at around v4 (20yrs ago)

(but unlike for other CG tools, I'm rather confident it would happen in the next decade.)
Last edited by FXDude on 01 Jun 2016, 22:48, edited 2 times in total.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 01 Jun 2016, 22:44

Do you have a Photoshop tuto to know what is it? I have access to PS5 i have not find a different option in select menu at first sight.

Krita has a select by color range including highlight, midtones, shadows, out of gamut, opaque and then grow, shrink, feather, border, smooth options, with a click cut or copy selection to a new layer.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 02 Jun 2016, 00:02

Yes Krita has a tool called 'Color Range' but the options you mentionned
(Lows, Mids, Highs, with a radio selector for picking one of the 3) is just about all of it.

And translating a selection to an image (and/or back to a selection) isn't exactly fluid (though I could easily have missed something)

There are surely some PS tuts for that, but it's essentially
-> Select Color Range ; perhaps BG sky, wall or grass, or some more or less outstanding FG element
(with a not too tight range to allow easier adjustments)
-> and 'create mask' button at the bottom of the layers panel on a dupe (or empty ) layer,

-> click the mask thumbnail to edit it, Brighten/Dim brush then acts as a local brightness/contrast for highs or lows and are good to eat away, or grow stuff, or .. to brighten or dim areas/details

So creating a mask on a duplicated layer and editing mask edges while looking at RGB is easy
(perhaps with an inbetween dimmer layer to dim for whatever is in the background while mask tweaking)

OR to alt-click mask thumbnail and edit the mask while looking at it's luma,
You can select all -> copy the mask and paste it as a regular layer and merge it with other masks (perhaps sky and grass masks) and paste it back to a mask.
to then perhaps ctrl-clicking mask to load it as a selection again ...

And with a selection marching ant "line" apprering at the 50 % threshold,
saying because not in Krita but in Photoline, as far as I know, selections are black/white (yet antialiased) hard edges.

And Affinity Photo like others doesn't either have selections based on gradual ranges of color values (yet), they have selection brushes for making rather crude initial separations at best.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 02 Jun 2016, 01:27

That being said, selection brushes (with refinement) can be good even for fine details like hair, but the background needs to be very uniform for auto-separation algorithms to be good enough.

Whereas a burn/dodge brush allows for superfine subpixel edge adjustments (also for like extracting/isolating mist/smoke elements), while you can visually (and broadly) burn away any subtle details you don't need,
or locally dodge details you do need or need to be more solid, and garbage paint everything else solid black or white.

Cheers,

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 02 Jun 2016, 07:30

I have made some tests i think there are more options:

There are buttons in normal interface at left side called :

-Continuous selection tool
-Similar Color Selection Tool

both have fuzziness option like PS.

When you use them it automatically creates a layer selection mask, you then with RMB over it in layer menu and can convert that selection mask layer to either a paint layer, a layer transparency mask or layer filter mask.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 03 Jun 2016, 02:20

Hi,

I thought of that, but like in Photoline it creates an ON/OFF Black/White selection, and the fuzzyness setting, like PL tolerance, determines how different pixels must be, to be included, -OR- not-included in the selection.

But I did find sort of a partial workaround

FloodFill does allow for gradual filling, which isn't too far from what we need.

So on an empty layer over say a landscape/sky layer, using perhaps white as a flooding color,
it's possible to pick a sky color to fill, while using the threshold setting to determine the gradual range of pixel values to fill around picked color.

Then you can drag that layer under (just below) the layer you want to mask
and right click -> Convert -> to Transparency Mask, and will mask the layer just over it with what is like a "Color Range".

Then you can make a selection out of it by dupeing it -RMB -> Convert -> to selection, wich becomes a selection local to the layer, but you can copy and paste it as a global selection for it to be available to all layers.

So Yaay ... for that part.

Except when editing the mask (alt-click mask) your brush blending modes allow for only very limited blending modes (2-3 out of lots of modes) or particularly the dogde and burn brush modes aren't available.

Arrgh! did I miss something?
Otherwise almost but not quite yet!! but it'll be less than a decade I'm sure :)

Otherwise Krita is starting to look pretty good!

You can have multiple masks on one layer,

You can instance or "clone" layers, or groups as a single entities with any change to group elements being propagated to all clone instances, masks can also be cloned so you can have bunch of layers shareing a common mask ...

-ALL- adjustments are procedural including all filters, plus transforms and deformations can also be procedural, I dont think it will be long until it sinks in.. ;;)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 03 Jun 2016, 22:13

I am still trying to get my head around why you need dodge and burn modes, i think this reveal some lack of fundamental knowledge from me and some tutos are in order.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 04 Jun 2016, 00:09

No not at all :ymsmug:

it mostly allows to paint away unwanted details around edges, and isolate what you want very quickly.

With Burn and dodge brush, it can be done much more broadly than regular brush, and the effect can be for subtle eroding or solidifying with a large brush with low opacity. (dodging mids or brights, or buring mids or lows )

Also because dodging protects from burning and vice versa.

it's like using detail that's already there without having to go-in or zoom-in for manual painting/cleaning.

Of course, the initial color range should have the least amount of clipping in darks or brights,
because you can't bring back detail once it's pure white or black.

Hope that helps!

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 14 Dec 2016, 19:28

Updated to 3.1

https://krita.org/en/release-notes-for-krita-3-1/

-OSX support

-Animation export

-Animation Curves and Opacity

-New Internal Color Picker

-New Quick Brush Engine

-Stop-Based Gradient Editor