Krita 3 released

News concerning 3D DCC business
Bullit

Krita 3 released

Post by Bullit » 07 Nov 2015, 10:52

Draise

Re: Early Krita 3 appears

Post by Draise » 07 Nov 2015, 18:39

I love using Krita, more so than Photoshop or Gimp, and.. well.... it also is like a legacy of one of my favorites, Fireworks, with vectors and raster all in one. Soon with animation... It's great.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 09 Nov 2015, 21:27

Do you think it can replace Photoshop already?

Draise

Post by Draise » 09 Nov 2015, 21:55

Yeah definately, and more definately so with version 3. I find it more responsive, faster loading, user friendly over Photoshop - with added vectors and nifty little tools/shortcuts. It even has a normals paint brush.

Maybe it's not so good at crunching high image sizes like Photoshop, but I never found photoshop good at crunching large image sizes either unless I had the machine for it. Looks like version 3 has the fix for those large brushes.

NNois

Post by NNois » 09 Nov 2015, 22:56

I can confirm too, krita replace photoshop, the only thing you miss is your confort zone.
But just like Mari, Krita proves you can heavily trash Adobe & Autodesk products, for something BETTER

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Nov 2015, 13:33

In earlier versions I ran into stability issues on Windows. Have they been fixed yet? :-\
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Bullit

Re: Early Krita 3 appears - Updated

Post by Bullit » 25 Nov 2015, 23:07

Thanks for feedback.

Now with animation

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 27 Nov 2015, 09:18

Krita on linux is altogether an amazing beast. Its performance is far better then the Windows version. That being said the windows version has come a long way and is better then photoshop for pretty much everything that doesn't require specific high end plugins. (so I would see a photographer being better off with photoshop).

now they just need to get the mac version up to snuff ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

NNois

Post by NNois » 28 Nov 2015, 04:32

angus_davidson wrote:Krita on linux is altogether an amazing beast. Its performance is far better then the Windows version. That being said the windows version has come a long way and is better then photoshop for pretty much everything that doesn't require specific high end plugins. (so I would see a photographer being better off with photoshop).

now they just need to get the mac version up to snuff ;)
XSI is dead but that opened me to other OS
I've just setup a linux box here and wow that's just crazy,

- ext4 filesystem with an ssd feels like it's 2 3 times faster than windows.
- every apps opens in 2/3 secs
- when a render runs, well ... you don't feel it
- i just love the last gnome desktop really professional, very good with dual monitors

;-)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 29 Nov 2015, 01:02

Installed it in Windows. The beta version with animation.

This is definitely not the Gimp i tested a couple years ago. Much better.

Some earlier comments:
The move scale, rotate tool is better than PS ( have only access to CS6 and not later versions for comparison) but it take me a couple minutes to find that the uniform scale was with shift. Didn't found a control in gui.

Putting images inside layer groups is much slower.

Erase don't have feathers values in main gui. Have to find if i can put that on.

The whole layer manager feels more clunky than PS, i also don't like that the layer options are below the layer name instead of following the name. At least i have less precision selecting in vertical than horizontal, so several times i selected an option like hide then the layer itself. It also means each layer takes more pixels in screen size. Can it be changed?

A: Yes it can, choose minimal view in layers.

It is annoying that i have to answer the color profile every time i paste an image.

In rare instances commands don't work, need to push another button and go back to the command. Could be a beta related bug only.

The undo names an incorrect action for the last action. Nevertheless it applies correctly the undo. Could be a beta bug also.

Preview using filters it sometime flash and are not a continuous change do to that graphic issue when i move the values. With finesse from my part it is more or less controllable.

Didn't found any clone tool. Have to search around if it exists. If it does not exist it is a big black eye and it precludes using it except for simple things.

File size, handling of heavy files seems equal if not better than PS at least up 50-60 layers of HD 1080 format. Not much size but still a good performance for my kind of usual work.

If it has a clone tool is is definitely a viable replacement for PS for me.

A: I see that clone is a brush which probably makes it even better than PS.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 15 Mar 2016, 08:39

3.0 Pre-alpha 3 is out.

Krita 3.0 will have: Instant Preview, animation support, rulers and guides, grid docker, snapping to guides and grids, layer multi-selection handling improvements, loading and saving Gimp brushes as images and a completely revamped layer management panel. Krita is currently in pre-alpha 3 stage
Today was an important day for the Krita project! We entered feature freeze! That means that from now on until the release of Krita 3.0, which is planned for April 27th, we won’t be working on adding new features, but we’ll be fixing bugs, fixing bugs and fixing more bugs! If you want to help us identify and triage bugs, read this article: “Ways to Help Krita: Bug Triaging“. It’s the first of what’s intended to be a series of reference articles on ways to help Krita grow and become better and better.

Since Krita 3.0 is frozen, we know exactly which Kickstarter and Stretch Goal features will be in this release, and which features will be in the 3.1 and following releases. Krita 3.0 will have: Instant Preview, Animation Support, Rulers and Guides, Grid Docker, layer multi-selection handling improvements, loading and saving Gimp brushes as images, and a completely revamped layer management panel! As an extra, originally not part of the Kickstarter Stretch Goals, snapping to guides and grids has also been implemented! Work has already started on the on-canvas brush settings editor (HUD), stacked brushes brush engine and the lazy brush or (anime coloring) tool.

And additionally, Krita 3.0 has been ported to Qt5, which was in itself a huge task, much bigger than we had even imagined. We intend to make Krita 3 fully supported on OSX, too, but that still needs a lot of work. And there are a ton of features that weren’t part of the Kickstarter, of course. Volunteers from all over the world have been adding cool new stuff. We’re really dreading writing the full release announcement for April!
For a detailed list of improvements:

https://krita.org/item/3-0-pre-alpha-3-is-out/

Bullit

Re: Krita 3 (updated)

Post by Bullit » 19 May 2016, 15:59

Krita 3 Review

Same review in text format.
http://gdquest.com/new-features-in-krita-3/

Tutorials from the review author
http://gdquest.com/game-art-quest/volum ... se-public/

Rork

Re: Krita 3 Pre Alpha, features are set (updated)

Post by Rork » 20 May 2016, 10:41

I like Krita as well for the painting stuff, but unfortunately cannot get the pressure working on brushes with my Wacom Intuos.
Checked all solutions and tips, so far no go :\

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 20 May 2016, 19:05

Did you tried the last RC version? i just downloaded the 64bits and had no problem with my Intuos. My Intuos is version 1, already about 15 years old...and have to use old drivers.

https://krita.org/item/krita-3-0-releas ... -released/

Just download, extract.

Rork

Post by Rork » 21 May 2016, 14:05

Hi,

Yes, I tried the latest version.

Fiddled with the settings, added Krita to the Intuos settings panel etc. No luck :(
I must be overlooking something very basic here.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 21 May 2016, 15:06

Ok
Does the Intuos works okay with other applications? I can just think is something with your Intuos driver installation since i didn't have had to add Krita to it, it just works out of the box.
Or security setting like being in a sandbox or prevented to access some dll?

In my services i have Tablet Service Wacom enabled and the Windows Tablet PC Input Service disabled.