Animation Nodes 1.0 for Blender

News concerning 3D DCC business

Rez007

Re: Animation Nodes 1.0 for Blender

Post by Rez007 » 20 Oct 2015, 20:28

That looks really impressive. I was surprised to see that it was free.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 20 Oct 2015, 21:50

It looks like there is mesh processing in the first clip, but as far as I read there isn't or not yet.

Their node interface looks slick and in-graph UI divots looks like an efficient way to edit and have an overview.

Though I wish their scene management and outliner wasn't as archaic,
yet perhaps submitting suggestions might be worth it.

It came along quite a bit, but I think it would be great if blender made further strides in it's UX front, or have it's own humanization efforts to bring it's traditional parts at the same level as some of their more recent additions in terms of usability.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 20 Oct 2015, 22:45

FXDude wrote:It looks like there is mesh processing in the first clip, but as far as I read there isn't or not yet.
'Animate vertices and polygons', I guess. Anyway nice example of huge community power, 85 pages about topic on Blender artists site, dozen of contributors to reel, some of them are well known Blender gurus. Hope it will be included in official distribution - with Blender update every few months, plugin does not stays alive so long, once is not updated.

Draise

Post by Draise » 22 Oct 2015, 03:22

I gave these a round of use. Blenders Node Editor is really fun. Though, there is some performance bottlenecks with this addon. I did have fun doing some motion graphics, how does it compare to SI motion tools in ICE, dunno?

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 22 Oct 2015, 16:00

Yikes. That stuff looks a lot like any generic Cinema 4D showreel from only a few years ago. Maxon will have to keep on working hard to justify the cost of a license when you can produce stuff like that for free.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 22 Oct 2015, 16:41

Rez007 wrote:That looks really impressive. I was surprised to see that it was free.
This part seems to be an interesting story. One year ago, something similar started as commercial addon - for really affordable price, but still commercial. In spring of this year, there's Animation Nodes as an widely supported open source project.
Beside some external renderers, it seems to be hard to develop anything else commercial, for Blender.

NNois

Post by NNois » 22 Oct 2015, 20:03

Mathaeus wrote:
Rez007 wrote:That looks really impressive. I was surprised to see that it was free.
This part seems to be an interesting story. One year ago, something similar started as commercial addon - for really affordable price, but still commercial. In spring of this year, there's Animation Nodes as an widely supported open source project.
Beside some external renderers, it seems to be hard to develop anything else commercial, for Blender.
That's not exactly this... the devs behind this commercial tool never update it following the user feedbacks. Hiding themselves under a "we can't do anything until blender is out with feature X or feature Y ex:the depgraph refactor thing" to maintain compatibility...
While the other open project hacked and pushed blender from his roots, providing mesh deform and such ;-) breaking compatibility at every version. But Hey when you start a project you stick to the same version to the end right ? that's the key.

Example they can't implement a "fcurve node" because this isn't possible with the current blender code while the free project just dev it and implemented it

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 22 Oct 2015, 20:42

NNois wrote: That's not exactly this... the devs behind this commercial tool never update it following the user feedbacks. Hiding themselves under a "we can't do anything until blender is out with feature X or feature Y ex:the depgraph refactor thing" to maintain compatibility...
Thanks for info, didn't know that.

NNois

Post by NNois » 22 Oct 2015, 21:42

Mathaeus wrote:
NNois wrote: That's not exactly this... the devs behind this commercial tool never update it following the user feedbacks. Hiding themselves under a "we can't do anything until blender is out with feature X or feature Y ex:the depgraph refactor thing" to maintain compatibility...
Thanks for info, didn't know that.
IMO it's what makes blender powerfull (just like unreal) because with source code you are limitless... but using that also reveal a poor API ;-)

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 22 Oct 2015, 22:01

NNois wrote:
IMO it's what makes blender powerfull (just like unreal) because with source code you are limitless... but using that also reveal a poor API ;-)
Yeah that's how it's going with open source. In POV-Ray times, I've used something called MegaPOV patch patched to POVMan, something like that... official one was only for 'kids'. But this was only renderer, while Blender is complete 3d app, so no way to use two patches together, unless someone is ready to combine at coding level. Anyway nothing is perfect...