Fabric Engine 2 is available!

News concerning 3D DCC business
Mathaeus

Re: Fabric Engine 2 is available!

Post by Mathaeus » 24 Oct 2015, 17:00

McNistor wrote:Pretty sure Fabric will be bought out by Autodesk or other big player at some point not too distant in the future. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I genuinely believe it will happen. Any great piece of tech created by a small group will attract the sharks and unless those creators are some religious nutties (like those from 3dcoat) they will sell it to profit from their work - it makes sense, anyone with half a brain would do it.
With unevitable 'I hate to say that', having something like Fabric, integrated into Maya, sounds like great idea. Even in case it won't be updated anymore, because sucess of such system probably depends more on usage, not that much on radical updates.
For now, let's say there are three, DCC app related visual programming systems that worth: Softimage ICE, Fabric and Houdini VEX. Two belongs to apps with really small user bases, one is EOL-ed. Not shiny...
Rest of story belongs to emotions. Usually, emotional state of small community is not shared by big, and influent one.
But first of all, better to do not speculate in advance. Let's wait and see.

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 24 Oct 2015, 17:12

I have been in frequent communication with the team for years, have met them in person on occasion and have reason to believe they wouldn't sell out to Autodesk.

Having said that, Nothing is guaranteed in life. I'd still invest in Fabric, even if I knew it would be bought out by AD. It's a good product that works right now and its benefits would still outweigh the annoyance of having to deal with AD.
After all, I don't regret for one moment my investment in ICE and would do it all again even knowing then what I know now. In fact, especially so, because the gain I have from learning ICE far outweigh the negative of Ad stopping the development of Softimage.

My way of looking at this works fine for the situation I find myself in. I don't expect others to have to feel the same.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 24 Oct 2015, 17:21

I see, I understand where you're coming from.

The uncertainty is there, even with big companies, let alone with smaller ones, is what I'm thinking. If lots of things in life are about probabilities, then all we can do (and should do if you ask me) is to improve the odds. How one goes about achieving that, is for each of us to decide I guess.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides