Softimage Explosia FX released!

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Explosia FXAuthor: Oleg Bliznuk
Not to be confused with Oleg's Implosia FX, a mesh scattering simulator— A new gaseous fluids (fire and smoke) simulator from Ukraine based company Blackcore tech. This product features dynamic voxel grids, a CPU accelerated raymarched preview, OpenVDB export, the »render from camera« feature — (see videos) — all build around an ICE node-based workflow.

From the product page: ExplosiaFX is a fluid dynamics simulation tool currently integrated in Autodesk Softimage. It is constructed based on a dynamically resizing voxel grid with a modern multigrid solver and thus provides high quality results in reasonable time. Intensive usage of AVX instructions when available makes it extremely fast without any compromises. By supporting the OpenVDB volumetric format, ExplosiaFX removes the need to render simulated data in Softimage, makes easy pipelining possible, as well as external cache processing on the Softimage side. [..] cont'd on the product page (link at bottom).

For demo videos, see Oleg's vimeo and the youtube channel. Also, the ExplosiaFX google group was set up.

Discontinued - the product is not available for purchase anymore but a fully functional noncommercial version is still available in the si-community thread (and in local backup)

local backup: XSI_EFX_Workgroup_1.007_win64.zip XSI_EFX_Workgroup_1.007_win64_AVX.zip (for CPUs supporting AVX) XSI_EFX_SampleScenes.zip Documentation.pdf Package overview slides.pdf

News concerning 3D DCC business
danyargici

Re: Softimage Explosia FX released!

Post by danyargici » 07 Sep 2015, 11:04

Oleg, firstly congratulations, this looks fantastic.

However it baffles me why you haven't posted this over at the CGTalk News forum. You would get maximum exposure over there.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 07 Sep 2015, 16:32

FXDude wrote:Perhaps indeed,

But BTW, would you know it there are trade-offs with path tracing for some of it's traditional benefits?

And perhaps as you say did volumes improve in the same go?
Perhaps not for traditional usage, like clouds and smokes, but there are other aspects, where power of GPU renderers could allow more (when I mentioned Red Shift or Octane, I was thinking about GPU, not only path - tracing) - for example, high density volumes for getting a look of short, high dense fur or wool.
Method was already popular in renderers related to Lightwave, including Modo renderer, also sow nice examples in Houdini Mantra, too. After all, as far as I remember, it was Softimage 3 or so, having a volume rendering of hairs - perhaps too ambitious for 2003, but, today, maybe not, for some of new, strong GPU players.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Sep 2015, 22:35

danyargici wrote:However it baffles me why you haven't posted this over at the CGTalk News forum. You would get maximum exposure over there.
Maximum exposure in this case would probably not necessarily lead to more sales. As he posted this on the Mailing List and the si-community he will probably have reached by far most of his potential customers. Sad but true. A possible Fabric version in the future would be different story altogether obviously.
:-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 07 Sep 2015, 23:52

I hardly think 'leading to many sales' has been the point of releasing anything for soft (to an extent even traditionally)

without such developments being exactly 'for nothing' either.

While being confident that at least more than just a few will find value in quite possibly the quickest, and also possibly most versatile (comprehensive & non-black-boxed playing well with regular ICE nodes, ICE itself being particularly comprehensive) node-based voxel fluid simulator around.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Sep 2015, 14:40

CGChannel has picked up on it now: Blackcore releases ExplosiaFX for Softimage
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 09 Sep 2015, 19:12

I still find that to be good news despite everything :) :ymsmug:

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 09 Sep 2015, 19:38

I agree FXDude

xeraphine

Post by xeraphine » 02 Oct 2015, 08:13

Hello, having problem with explosiaFx, am following the instructions about shaders path, but the arnoldExplosiaFx.dll does not load. What i´m missing. Thanks
Attachments
explosiafx.JPG

Rork

Post by Rork » 02 Oct 2015, 12:25

9 out of 10 times it's some kind of dll dependency. Get 'dependency walker' and see if the plugin is missing some kind of MS VC++ redist pack or something.

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 02 Oct 2015, 14:48

Can you copy-paste what you get in the history when render with arnold shaders ? Basically neither ArnoldExploisaFX nor qt stuff should not even appear in the plugin manager because it does not have any of softimage plugin callbacks.
I already have implemented my own network subsystem for both win and linux and will remove these qt libs in the next update soon (alongside with linux build)

xeraphine

Post by xeraphine » 03 Oct 2015, 09:33

Hi Rork, i attach a printscreen from dependency walker, it seems that AI.DLL is missing but i have ai.dll in the bin/ntx86-64 folder. :-\

Mr.Core, maybe ill wait for the update in the meantime this are the history log:

Code: Select all

Application.PlaybackStop("")
# WARNING : [arnold] node "skin" is already installed
# WARNING : [arnold] node "volume_collector" is already installed
# WARNING : [arnold] node "volume_sample_rgb" is already installed
# WARNING : [arnold] node "volume_sample_float" is already installed
# WARNING : [arnold] unable to load dynamic library Z:\Softimage Workgroup\XSI_EFX_Workgroup\Application\Plugins\bin\nt-x86-64/Qt5Cored.dll: No se puede encontrar el módulo especificado.
# 
# WARNING : [arnold] unable to load dynamic library Z:\Softimage Workgroup\XSI_EFX_Workgroup\Application\Plugins\bin\nt-x86-64/Qt5Networkd.dll: No se puede encontrar el módulo especificado.
# 
# INFO : [sitoa] Frame 16 exported to Arnold in 0.134 sec.
# WARNING : [arnold] [EFX][ERROR][PackedVolumeShader]: Unable to open volumeShader file! Z:\P_Reel\WORK\SOFTIMAGE\P_Reel\efx_cache\Scene\volumeShaderGraph00016.efx1sh
# WARNING : [arnold] [EFX][ERROR][PackedVolumeShader]: Unable to open volumeShader file! Z:\P_Reel\WORK\SOFTIMAGE\P_Reel\efx_cache\Scene\volumeShaderGraph00016.efx1sh
# WARNING : [arnold] too many messages (>5) of type: "[EFX][ERROR][PackedVolumeShader]: Unable to open volumeShader file! Z:\P_Reel\WORK\SOFTIMAGE\P_Reel\efx_cache\Scene\volumeShaderGraph00016.efx1sh" -- not printing any more!
Thanks
Attachments
explosia_dependency walker.JPG

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 03 Oct 2015, 14:59

According to this log the shader is loaded successfully by arnold , you just have to match the caches folder path and the shader cache search path

xeraphine

Post by xeraphine » 04 Oct 2015, 07:06

Mr.Core wrote:According to this log the shader is loaded successfully by arnold , you just have to match the caches folder path and the shader cache search path
Solved, i miss to follow the instructions thats say to change the folder path, thats the lack of sleep. Now am going to burn something. Great plugin. Thanks to all.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 22 Nov 2015, 21:07

a dry ice smoke instead of flame :) , I could not get the mental ray side to render with default plugin (2015 R2) so this is still rendered in Mental Ray but from a an Explosia generated VDB cache using emfluid5 and binary alchemy fluid shader to load and render the grid

Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 22 Nov 2015, 21:21

The smoke fluid movement looks very good.

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 23 Nov 2015, 10:48

Tekano wrote:I could not get the mental ray side to render with default plugin (2015 R2)
Is there any error in the history when you tried to render with mray ?