News concerning 3D DCC business
Bullit

Re: Unreal Engine for free

Post by Bullit » 23 May 2019, 16:16

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 05 Jun 2019, 18:30

https://cgpress.org/archives/epic-acqui ... ircut.html
Epic has announced the acquisition of Shave and a Haircut from Joe Alter. The Maya plugin adds interactive grooming and styling tools for hair and fur plus shaders for offline rendering in Arnold, RenderMan, and V-Ray. An early version of the technology was also integrated in 3DS Max (and Softimage) but at this point, we don’t know if the news affects Max’s Hair tools.

Shave and a Haircut used to cost $399 for a perpetual license. Following the acquisition Epic has announced that the existing version 9.6 Maya plugins and shaders will be made available on GitHub for free for under the Unreal Engine 4 EULA as source code and compiled binaries.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/prog ... 6-for-maya

Draise

Post by Draise » 05 Jun 2019, 19:14

Woah, that's cool they are leaving it for free and relatively opensource, that is.. some heart. Acquire, leave it free, incorporate the tech. I do like Epic Games, even if they are gigantic.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 05 Jun 2019, 19:41

Yep. But i am concerned, after all this years Shave & haircut is still a technology that is appealing? I mean by this time we should be talking about full simulation environment with hair getting water and turning wet.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 05 Jun 2019, 21:05

Bullit wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 19:41 Yep. But i am concerned, after all this years Shave & haircut is still a technology that is appealing? I mean by this time we should be talking about full simulation environment with hair getting water and turning wet.
Perhaps they wanted patents. Author was very proficient in protecting the internal methods, somehow usual for such system, interpolation of transforms between hair segments, sending data to rendering and so on. I don't believe they'll just implement 1:1 Shave, somewhere.