Great News for akeytsu!

Beta coming out @ end of month and perpetual licensing :D

Happy Days!

Great Price Too!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: New animation Software ("akeytsu")

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Jun 2015, 12:50

Their intended licensing plan (bottom part of the page) indeed is reason for celebration
(and a reason to dig up the cash for an Indie license from under the rock I hid it undeer).
Thanks for the update!
:-bd
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 17 Jun 2015, 15:07

$69 is really cheap and you get the full version when it's out. Quite interesting.

jamination

Post by jamination » 19 Jun 2015, 01:04

went through all the videos and not sure what to think. I am not in video games so some things may be lost on me. Softimage does character animation very well even though not much has change in forever it seems, so changing to program where you have to import and export to create animation it better be awesome, at this point I don't see it, but again I am not in that market. They want to reach the other markets as well so I guess I wait to see how they entice broadcast and movie folk next. I like the fcurve in the background, that is a nice touch, I sure would hate to input weight values numerically though (until painting is added).
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Jun 2015, 12:05

It indeed is a “tough call” at this point. The demo video has some interesting elements and it looks like a nice workflow they’ve got going on. But all of this is obviously only based on the video and one would need to get one’s own hands dirty with the software itself to say anything conclusive. As to its presented toolset I wouldn’t even dare to compare it to “our” trusty Softimage, it being high-end software originally deeply invested in character animation and thus sporting “weapons-grade” tools for a very long time. The thing that attracts me personally isn’t the toolset, but the way the workflow seems to “gel”. And this at a (“Indie”) price (under a perpetual license) you can’t hardly even get a decent commercial plugin anymore, makes me consider taking the plunge quite seriously.
;)

But: I am a mere hobbyist, obviously, prone to get attracted to shiny new tools...

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 Jun 2015, 16:59

On their website they state the following
Even though akeytsu will eventually be targeted for the global animation industry, the first version of the software is dedicated to the video games market.
Could someone please try to explain what this probably will mean as to initial functionality?
;)

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 23 Jun 2015, 20:26

Hirazi Blue wrote:On their website they state the following
Even though akeytsu will eventually be targeted for the global animation industry, the first version of the software is dedicated to the video games market.
Could someone please try to explain what this probably will mean as to initial functionality?
;)
Beside noticeable difference to number of tools, already present in 'long range space cruisers' like SI or Maya. Actually I can imagine only one, but huge difference. That is, camera. TV or movies, this is always an animation for very exact camera and shot, usually short shot of few seconds. For games, camera is not exactly defined, 'shot' could take a long time. So, pretty much different animations - thing like long walk cycle, somehow belongs to games.
But I don't believe they were thinking about cameras, saying what they saying.
In any case, I'll check out, is it possible to have a same camera as in big 3d apps. Also, is it possible to import additional 3d objects, to have at least mockup for orientation.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 24 Jun 2015, 14:04

Thanks. This proves rather conclusively, that I shouldn't rely on 10 year old knowledge.
Resulting in outdated notions that the main problems with game assets were poly count and rig complexity IIRC.
I am definitely getting old...
~x(

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 24 Jun 2015, 16:37

Hirazi Blue wrote:Thanks. This proves rather conclusively, that I shouldn't rely on 10 year old knowledge.
Resulting in outdated notions that the main problems with game assets were poly count and rig complexity IIRC.
(
Complexity of rig belongs to "noticeable difference to number of tools, already present in 'long range space cruisers' like SI or Maya''. Their demo character has some parts very well tessellated, so I'd believe, playback is not a problem.

luceric

Post by luceric » 24 Jun 2015, 20:37

Hirazi Blue wrote:On their website they state the following
;)
It would probably mean that the kind of animation targetted is all bone-based, and anything that would run in in a game.
So point caches, shape animation, funky deformers that only work in the app would not be in the list of priorities.
You can still have a complex shadow rig that uses expressions and constraints and all sort of stuff that only runs on the app, but it would be used to control a much simpler skeleton that is in real-time compatible.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 08 Jul 2015, 11:50

So anyone else here considering buying akeytsu? The buzz isn't necessarily deafening?
%-(

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 08 Jul 2015, 14:34

There is demo yet? i doubt anyone would put the hands on it without more information.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 12 Jul 2015, 14:16

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Jul 2015, 17:51

I have already dropped beta. They focus on the tools not the workflow...

wesserbro

Post by wesserbro » 12 Jul 2015, 19:57

Hirazy, I havent tested it, but from the presentation videos i was thinking opposite - good workflow but very basic tools. Are there really much tools? Does it have something that maya or softimage dont have toolwise?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Jul 2015, 19:21

In my short experience they've documented the tools, but not the workflow, leave me hanging... ;)