WHAT?! Facebook to acquire Oculus VR

News concerning 3D DCC business
MauricioPC

WHAT?! Facebook to acquire Oculus VR

Post by MauricioPC » 26 Mar 2014, 12:33

https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2014/03/fa ... re-oculus/

Damn ... I guess we can wait for new icons for the Oculus and maybe a new logo. #-o

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: WHAT?! Facebook to acquire Oculus VR

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Mar 2014, 22:47

This will have its effect on Kickstarter. Financing a small company through Kickstarter is one thing. Seeing them being taken over for a ridiculous amount of money shortly after is a bit weird, if you ask me.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 27 Mar 2014, 02:41

I thought so too ... and the innovation will go down the drain. I can't see Facebook to keep pushing it ahead (innovation).

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 27 Mar 2014, 18:02

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... ure_of_vr/

People are really mad. It's like that day when Softimage has been sold to Autodesk, everybody knew it was the end, just a matter of time.

I like being in the community of people who value openness more than a progress of big corporations. It gives me hope for a bright future :)

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 27 Mar 2014, 22:08

iamVFX wrote:http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... ure_of_vr/

People are really mad. It's like that day when Softimage has been sold to Autodesk, everybody knew it was the end, just a matter of time.

I like being in the community of people who value openness more than a progress of big corporations. It gives me hope for a bright future :)
But the alternative might have been that Google could have seen this as an extension to their Google glasses, and Facebook as a corp might not have wanted to be left out of the game, so acted quickly to buy.

Saying that, there was nothing that forced the people who were developing this to sell, or to sell to FB for that matter, they could have waited, they could have said no, they could have said never. So before you heap all the blame on FB/Google/MS or yes even AD, remember that the people who owned and were developing the product ALSO agreed to sell.

Sauce for the goose, iamVFX.

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 27 Mar 2014, 22:32

Letterbox wrote:Saying that, there was nothing that forced the people who were developing this to sell, or to sell to FB for that matter, they could have waited, they could have said no, they could have said never. So before you heap all the blame on FB/Google/MS or yes even AD, remember that the people who owned and were developing the product ALSO agreed to sell.
This is totally true. Even promise was given, but Palmer changed his mind all of a sudden. Maybe because he's 21 and we're talking about big paycheck, but man, when people believe you that much (I mean, 2,5 million USD within 30 days - THAT much) you have responsibility to keep their trust.

I'm 100% sure that Valve guys read reddit and know people's reaction. This is great, because Abrash's prototype can be a game changer in this situation.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 28 Mar 2014, 04:30

iamVFX wrote:This is totally true. Even promise was given, but Palmer changed his mind all of a sudden. Maybe because he's 21 and we're talking about big paycheck, but man, when people believe you that much (I mean, 2,5 million USD within 30 days - THAT much) you have responsibility to keep their trust.

I'm 100% sure that Valve guys read reddit and know people's reaction. This is great, because Abrash's prototype can be a game changer in this situation.

I agree that that's a lot of money ... but trust is a valuable thing and he lost it. If he ever create something new and different, he'll have a hard time making the clients trust him.

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 28 Mar 2014, 11:00

iamVFX wrote:
Letterbox wrote:So before you heap all the blame on FB/Google/MS or yes even AD, remember that the people who owned and were developing the product ALSO agreed to sell.
This is totally true. Even promise was given, but Palmer changed his mind all of a sudden.

And the reality is a hard lesson, that as you've seen recently corp's say 'the product is safe', politicians say 'time for change', used car salesmen say, 'the car is fine', and people continue to believe them, system 1 vs system 2.

And so Palmer, as do people in other 'recent' events, and wars in the past, justifies it to himself in any way they can giving themselves any self-delusional and often repeated reason by those around them that validates their actions.

Maybe people ought to learn about themselves and both systems, then they'd realize and be able to see when situations like this may happen. To learn about that and system 1 vs system 2, read the book "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by the Nobel prize winner - Daniel Kahneman.

http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Fast-Slo ... t+and+Slow

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 28 Mar 2014, 19:48

iamVFX wrote:This is great, because Abrash's prototype can be a game changer in this situation.
Well, f#ck.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 28 Mar 2014, 21:32

iamVFX wrote:
iamVFX wrote:This is great, because Abrash's prototype can be a game changer in this situation.
Well, f#ck.
=))

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 04 Jun 2014, 19:13

MauricioPC wrote:
iamVFX wrote:
Well, f#ck.
=))
Hold on, what?