Unreal Engine 4 is out!

News concerning 3D DCC business
origin

Unreal Engine 4 is out!

Post by origin » 20 Mar 2014, 10:37

Bullit

Re: Unreal Engine 4 is out!

Post by Bullit » 20 Mar 2014, 14:06

Unreal Engine 4 launches today. What we’re releasing is both simple and radical: everything.

Epic’s goal is to put the engine within reach of everyone interested in building games and 3D content, from indies to large triple-A development teams, and Minecraft creators as well. For $19/month you can have access to everything, including the Unreal Editor in ready-to-run form, and the engine’s complete C++ source code hosted on GitHub for collaborative development.

This is the complete technology we at Epic use when building our own games, forged by years of experience shipping games like Gears of War for Xbox and Infinity Blade for iOS, and now reinvented for a new generation. Having the full C++ source provides the ultimate flexibility and puts developers in control of their schedules and destinies: Whatever you require to build and ship your game, you can find it in UE4, source it in the GitHub community, or build it yourself – and then share it with others.

Develop in the Unreal Ecosystem

Beyond the tools and source, Unreal Engine 4 provides an entire ecosystem. Chat in the forums, add to the wiki, participate in the AnswerHub Q&A, and join collaborative development projects via GitHub.

To help you get started, we’re shipping lots of ready-made content, samples, and game templates. You’ll find it in the Marketplace in the Unreal Editor. Right now, it simply hosts free stuff from Epic, but its resemblance to the App Store is no coincidence: It will grow into a complete ecosystem for sharing community-created content, paid and free, and open for everyone’s participation!

Ship Games with Unreal

We’re working to build a company that succeeds when UE4 developers succeed. Anyone can ship a commercial product with UE4 by paying 5% of gross revenue resulting from sales to users. If your game makes $1,000,000, then we make $50,000. We realize that’s a lot to ask, and that it would be a crazy proposition unless UE4 enables you to build way better games way more productively than otherwise!

So, will this effort succeed? That’s up to you and your judgment of the engine’s value. Unreal Engine 4 has been built by a team of over 100 engineers, artists and designers around the world, and this launch represents all of our hopes and dreams of how major software can be developed and distributed in the future.

We find this future very exciting. It’s no longer dominated by giant publishers and marketing campaigns, but by a simple and honest proposition: Gamers pay for great games, and anybody who can valuably contribute to building those games can succeed, from indie developers, to large triple-A teams, and to individual programmers and content creators, too.

A New Beginning

This first release of Unreal Engine 4 is just the beginning. In the C++ code, you can see many new initiatives underway, for example to support Oculus VR, Linux, Valve’s Steamworks and Steam Box efforts, and deployment of games to web browsers via HTML5. It’s all right there, in plain view, on day one of many years of exciting and open development ahead!

We have enjoyed building Unreal Engine 4 so far and hope you will join us on this journey as a contributor to the future of Unreal!

Tim Sweeney
Founder, Epic Games

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 20 Mar 2014, 18:02

No Windows Phone support.. :((

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 20 Mar 2014, 19:00

dwigfor wrote:No Windows Phone support.. :((
Those things still exist ? *runs*
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 26 Mar 2014, 22:15

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 26 Mar 2014, 22:34

That is a really nice engine. The licensing policy is a hundred times better than it used to be. They don't have the free UDK anymore, but what is really nice, is that you can subscribe for 1 month, then cancel and keep using the engine to make your game. That is good for anyone who wants to learn the engine and just poke around in it too. You just have to resubscribe anytime you might want the updated version, and so forth. They don't hide this at all and have said it themselves as well.

What I like about this is that you can get the full engine for an extremely low price, versus Unity, where you have to pay upfront if you want the Pro version. Granted, they both have their pros and cons when it comes to licencing options, regardless though, this is an epic announcement/release - pun intended :D

talent103

Post by talent103 » 27 Mar 2014, 01:21

Have you used this in conjunction with Softimage?

origin

Post by origin » 27 Mar 2014, 09:25

You export stuff with FBX 2013, so everything should work...

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 27 Mar 2014, 13:24

Nice demo. A far cry from the first Unreal/Wolfestein/Quake/Doom engines. How sofisticated game engines have evolved ....
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 27 Mar 2014, 17:28

talent103 wrote:Have you used this in conjunction with Softimage?
Myself personally, no I have not. The previous licensing agreements were pretty steep, I think like 25%. Which is a lot considering all the other percentages you had to take into account from like Apple, another 30%. At that time it was just too much so I never really looked into it. Now, everything changed and it is a much more viable option...the full engine for $19 is great, even just for learning.

Basically, what Origin mentioned with FBX should work. They also have some good videos too, which I have been watching, and I think the animation/rigging is pretty nice.
Last edited by Rez007 on 28 Mar 2014, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 28 Mar 2014, 04:29

I decided to sign up. Blueprints look great, along with the material system. Seems truly next gen, coming from Source/Hammer. How long till Source2 is released and what will Hammer be like.....

I think the open source code will generate amazing things.. For instance....

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthr ... 2-0-Plugin

origin

Post by origin » 28 Mar 2014, 13:53

Im on sub too. They added alot of free content to learn from and much more will be d/l for free. examples of full games, effects etc.

origin

Post by origin » 28 Mar 2014, 14:00

screenshot ;)
Attachments
ue_freecontent.jpg

Nick3d

Post by Nick3d » 01 Apr 2014, 15:12

talent103 wrote:Have you used this in conjunction with Softimage?
Just solved yesterday, rigged FBX import ( using Species rig and Facerobot ) works, the only thing you need to do while import is to enable "Import Meshes In Bone Hierarchy" in the Advanced tab ;)

By the way this engine is pretty damn awesome!
And the Blueprints system allows various degrees of modification...not yet extensive geometry modification ( ala ICE ) but it can drive anything :)

I think I'll make a videotutorial in a couple of days ;)

talent103

Post by talent103 » 01 Apr 2014, 16:30

that sounds pretty cool!

Nick3d

Post by Nick3d » 02 Apr 2014, 23:32

Tutorial Softimage to UE4 using Softimage and Species, enjoy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvg-EABdkfQ