Autodesk retires Softimage

News concerning 3D DCC business
azurecgi

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by azurecgi » 04 Mar 2014, 13:20

origin wrote:So they are giving maya free for sub users. THats good news aint it.
Maybe, although the way I read it, if you take the 'transition deal' your perpetual Softimage license will die on 30th April 2016, so unless you are fully transitioned over to Maya/Max by that point you may be in trouble.

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 04 Mar 2014, 13:21

yea really good news.. so instead of that delicious pie you have right now, I'm gonna throw that away take it from you but fear not! I have this delicious steaming piece of SHIT for you..
In your face!!

as for swearing.. now more than ever is time for that

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 04 Mar 2014, 13:32

origin wrote:So they are giving maya free for sub users. THats good news aint it.
Let's us hope that the companies stay away of other AD products. Please, AD never more.

Damnit ... I just started a workshop on FumeFX in Max. While I love FX, I should have saved the money for some Houdini training. I hope I can translate the knowledge after.

P.S.: They've taken the page down. MTF AD.

ChrB

Post by ChrB » 04 Mar 2014, 13:37

@#¤¤#¤#@@$@€$£€$@€ autodesk, almost bl**dy 20 years of using Softimage
Arnold for the masses!

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 04 Mar 2014, 13:38

Hirazi Blue wrote:@everyone - please try to suppress the understandable urge to swear as much as possible. I am in no mood to police this as I feel like swearing a lot myself..
X(
I think if there is a time to allow swearing on a forum then this is it.

OzAdi

Post by OzAdi » 04 Mar 2014, 13:38

I am sure the a$$holes who decided to retire softimage, never had to learn how to work with a software more complicated then Word or Outlook..
I am working daily and earning money with softimage since 1997, that's 17 years, and I still have a lot to learn. now AD threw away all those years of learning, telling me
at age 40 I need to start learning a different, less capable, less friendly software... who's gonna pay me for the huge amount of time it'll take me to learn Crapa or 3DS Crapx??????
Last edited by OzAdi on 04 Mar 2014, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

Firebird

Post by Firebird » 04 Mar 2014, 13:38

Service packs for Softimage are expected to be provided until April 30th 2016
So still 2 years before I will even think about adding something else to my Workflow.

The day they release the last version of SI will be the day Autodesk wont see any money from us anymore.

And then....., I still will use SI, Modeling wont be taken away, ICE wont go away, Animation Tools wont disappear.

Postitiv.
I don´t need to Install new Versions on the render farm fighting to get it installing under Linux.
There wont be any new Bugs which I´m not aware of.
No new Logo and Splash screen I have to get used to.
No angry moments because they again ""forgot"" to mention SI on the Area.

Life will be so much stress free when AD finally leaves their greedy Hands away from SI.

When Eric will release emFluid5 we will have super nice Fluid simulation tools and volume rendering. (Check)
BAVolume shader for fast Volumegrid rendering (Check)
Exocortex Implosia or momentum for Destruction (Check)

Pissed yes, angry yes, worried that I have to spend alot of time in ugly mugly Maya NO, I wont

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 04 Mar 2014, 13:39

They removed the link apparently.
edit: well not the actual link, but the info in it
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 04 Mar 2014, 13:42

Not dement... that would be excusable to a degree. If someone is born less bright, is it his fault?

They know exactly what they do, and from a business standpoint it makes total sense, as has been discussed many times.
The point is, letting economics override idealistism is bitter, and that mindset ain't making the world a better place.

If Maya wasn't that nightmare of a 3d program that it still is, it might be different.

@Hirazi: take it easy on us cursing... if there's ever to be a good reason to vent some, than here and now. They really deserve it. In some situations, being polite is not proper anymore.

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 04 Mar 2014, 13:43

McNistor wrote:They removed the link apparently.
Yes, I think they got their time zones mixed up! I'm sure the page will reappear once AutoDicks make the official announcement! X(

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 04 Mar 2014, 13:44

STOP!
the link was removed, was only an April fool anticipated (ADSK... never be precise...)

Helli

Post by Helli » 04 Mar 2014, 13:46

If you don't find the right words anymore:

http://www.youswear.com/index.asp?langu ... xXLH_mwbYg

I like this one:
AD those dildo munching gutter sluts.

mixepix

Post by mixepix » 04 Mar 2014, 13:48

Ha! As people will be less pissed when they see the official statement from Autodesk. Just get it over with you useless crap-company!
----------------------------------------
http://vimeo.com/mikaelpettersen

kiwimation

Post by kiwimation » 04 Mar 2014, 13:52

Well im happy, now we all know. Not happy they have done what they have done. Everyone can start moving on.

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 04 Mar 2014, 13:53

Funny how fast that reaction came to remove the link... someone must be listening.
Got a screenshot of the jigsaw announcement, as it was still open in my browser. But allright, let's give AD a chance to make their statement first.

telepatam

Post by telepatam » 04 Mar 2014, 13:54

So what does retiring mean in this case exactly?
That they will stop supporting and developing it or does this mean that the license will stop working completely
and you wont be able to use or install any version of softimage at all?
---------------------
what is dead may never die :D