Autodesk retires Softimage

News concerning 3D DCC business
angus_davidson

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by angus_davidson » 04 Mar 2014, 17:06

Maximus wrote:I dont think AD plans end here. They will probably axe 3ds max and maya too later on, while building a new 3d package. Maya is too old to compete with next gen softwares like modo/nuke/houdini.

So expect in few years a ned 3d package, thats my bet.
Been arguing this for more then a year with luceric ;) Supposedly having things like XGen and Bifrost being separate entities will start them on their way.

I agree is I was a max user I would start to feel a little unease. After all they have also been told the future is bright.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

OzAdi

Post by OzAdi » 04 Mar 2014, 17:11

just found this from 1.5 years ago....

http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/09/autode ... softimage/

made the 1.5 larger, so people will not think it's about this time..

can we call them fu@#ing liars ?
Last edited by OzAdi on 04 Mar 2014, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 04 Mar 2014, 17:13

...The Future of Softimage is bright...
Attachments
Future is bright.jpg

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 04 Mar 2014, 18:10

Official post from AD quoted from the Softimage list:
March 4, 2014

Dear Softimage Customer,

We are committed to providing our customers with the most technologically advanced products and highest quality customer service possible.
After careful consideration, it has become necessary to make some changes to our software portfolio in order to continue to do so.

We therefore regret to inform you that the upcoming 2015 release will be the last one for Autodesk(r) Softimage(r), which is expected to ship on April 14, 2014.
Autodesk will continue to offer product support until Apr 30, 2016. We will also provide any necessary hot-fixes and service packs to all customers, at no cost, until Apr 30, 2016.

We understand that you will now need time to re-evaluate your production capabilities. To help you, we are offering Autodesk(r) Subscription customers
special no cost options to migrate to either Autodesk(r) Maya(r) or Autodesk(r) 3ds Max(r) while continuing to use Softimage in production.
These options will be available until Feb 1, 2016. Upgrade paths are also available for customers who are not on Subscription.

As of March 28, 2014, Softimage will no longer be available for sale to new customers.
However, we will provide existing customers with the option to purchase either additional software licenses
or new rental plans until Feb 1, 2016. Our goal is to give you the flexibility you need to continue to use,
and scale, Softimage in production during the transition to either Maya or 3ds Max.

The Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite (ECS) Premium will no longer be available for sale as of March 28, 2014.
ECS Premium customers on Subscription will receive Autodesk ECS Ultimate, at no additional cost.
We will also be reducing the price of ECS Ultimate software and Subscription.
Softimage 2015 will remain part of ECS Ultimate for a transition period of two-years, after which it will be removed.

Although this decision is a difficult one, we do believe that by focusing our efforts we can better serve the needs
of the media and entertainment industry and provide customers with better products, faster. Autodesk wants to
continue its relationship with you into the future. We regret any inconvenience that this may cause, however we
believe you will find our new transition product offerings very attractive.

We understand that you may still have questions about this transition and invite you to join us on
Monday, March 17, 2014 at 12PM EST for a live Q&A webinar. Please register and submit your questions here
Who cares....

For more details please refer to the Questions and Answers section below.

Sincerely,

Marc Stevens
Vice President Film & TV Solutions
Autodesk

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 04 Mar 2014, 18:15

Yeah Maurice posted to the mailing list as well.

Over the past week there have been many rumors about the future of Softimage posted on various forums and social media sites. Many of you have been looking for an official confirmation or denial from Autodesk. Unfortunately, we were not in a position to respond until today as we needed to finalize all the details of our plans. But yes Softimage 2015 will be the last release of the software. I wanted to share some of those details with you:
- Softimage 2015 will be the last release of the software
- We will continue to support the software and develop hot fixes and service packs for two more years
- If they wish to, customers on Subscription will be able to transition to Maya or 3ds Max at no cost while retaining the right to continue to use Softimage in production/
- Existing customers will be able to purchase additional seats and/or rental plans if they need to scale production
Below is a copy of the letter that was sent electronically to Softimage customers today. I have copied it here as our email distribution lists not allow us to send it to those who have opted out.

Because several of our partners have started posting the news early, we are responding now but please note our web sites have not had time to upload all the information yet.

As early as possible but by no later than 3pm EST, we will have loaded all the information including a detailed FAQ on www.autodesk.com/softimage. In the interim I have also copied and pasted it below

Within the next 15 minutes you can also visit http://area.autodesk.com/softimagetransition to register for a live Q&A webinar on Marc 18th at 12pm EST. as well as see the full documentation of what is new in Softimage 2015.

Maurice Patel
Autodesk
--
Wits University

AlexanderM

Post by AlexanderM » 04 Mar 2014, 18:33

The latest 2015 release is the best for the last 5 years, it is double sad.

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 04 Mar 2014, 18:33

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh,
Beneath this mask there is an idea,
Mr. Greedy, And Ideas are bulletproof.
Attachments
Softimage_Vandetta.jpg
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 04 Mar 2014, 18:39

Please keep this in mind:

Please note that the right to use the Softimage license will terminate at the end of the transition period if you are still on Subscription. You will be transitioned to the latest release of either 3ds Max or Maya depending on your initial choice. If you want to continue to use your Softimage license after Feb 1, 2016 you should not renew your Subscription contract for a period beyond that date. You will be able to continue to use Softimage but will forfeit any future updates to either 3ds Max or Maya.

Basically if you want to keep using softimage for your works, you need to drop the subscription, because if you dont you'll move to Maya or Max and you wont be able to use Softimage anymore.

Brilliant move. (glad i dropped my sub already).

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 04 Mar 2014, 18:41

Maximus wrote:Please keep this in mind:

Please note that the right to use the Softimage license will terminate at the end of the transition period if you are still on Subscription. You will be transitioned to the latest release of either 3ds Max or Maya depending on your initial choice. If you want to continue to use your Softimage license after Feb 1, 2016 you should not renew your Subscription contract for a period beyond that date. You will be able to continue to use Softimage but will forfeit any future updates to either 3ds Max or Maya.

Basically if you want to keep using softimage for your works, you need to drop the subscription, because if you dont you'll move to Maya or Max and you wont be able to use Softimage anymore.

Brilliant move. (glad i dropped my sub already).
Another AD management Gem. I know a few folks who would really like what they are smoking.
--
Wits University

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 04 Mar 2014, 18:50

AlexanderM wrote:The latest 2015 release is the best for the last 5 years, it is double sad.
Just had a look at the new release pdf. There are some decent things in there. No word on any changes to the linux installer though.
--
Wits University

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 04 Mar 2014, 18:55

angus_davidson wrote:
AlexanderM wrote:The latest 2015 release is the best for the last 5 years, it is double sad.
Just had a look at the new release pdf. There are some decent things in there. No word on any changes to the linux installer though.
Where is that pdf?

sonictk

Post by sonictk » 04 Mar 2014, 18:55

http://area.autodesk.com/userdata/products/What%27s_New_in_Autodesk_Softimage_2015_latest.pdf

The amount of ICE UI improvements look really awesome; but too bad I'll probably never get to use them unless I find a studio who is committed to XSI =\

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Mar 2014, 19:02

Well the "termination of the license" clause clinches it. I am now officially looking for a new hobby, preferably not involving big evil cooperations and their henchmen...
:ymsick:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 04 Mar 2014, 19:09

Hirazi Blue wrote:Well the "termination of the license" clause clinches it. I am now officially looking for a new hobby, preferably not involving big evil cooperations and their henchmen...
:ymsick:
Its like they want to rub salt in the wounds.
--
Wits University

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Mar 2014, 19:13

Knowing that Maurice Patel has just registered especially for this day (and not a minute/day earlier)...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!