Autodesk retires Softimage

News concerning 3D DCC business
Helli

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Helli » 04 Mar 2014, 13:55

Just crack the shit if the licenses won't work anymore.

You won't have support anymore anyways (i mean have you ever had support ?) so who cares.
Last edited by Helli on 04 Mar 2014, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 04 Mar 2014, 13:55

Firebird wrote:
Service packs for Softimage are expected to be provided until April 30th 2016
So still 2 years before I will even think about adding something else to my Workflow.

The day they release the last version of SI will be the day Autodesk wont see any money from us anymore.

And then....., I still will use SI, Modeling wont be taken away, ICE wont go away, Animation Tools wont disappear.

Postitiv.
I don´t need to Install new Versions on the render farm fighting to get it installing under Linux.
There wont be any new Bugs which I´m not aware of.
No new Logo and Splash screen I have to get used to.
No angry moments because they again ""forgot"" to mention SI on the Area.

Life will be so much stress free when AD finally leaves their greedy Hands away from SI.

When Eric will release emFluid5 we will have super nice Fluid simulation tools and volume rendering. (Check)
BAVolume shader for fast Volumegrid rendering (Check)
Exocortex Implosia or momentum for Destruction (Check)

Pissed yes, angry yes, worried that I have to spend alot of time in ugly mugly Maya NO, I wont
Yeah, this was the only great news at the announcement. So I can still learn Softimage for 2 more years and use it for as long as it's possible after while I add ZBrush and Houdini (maybe) to the workflow.

I just know that Mudbox is the first casualty of my hard drive. After I finish the workshop on FumeFX, 3ds Max will be the next one.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Mar 2014, 13:58

@telepatam - I propose opening a new thread soon to tackle these kind of questions. But they can't prevent you from using your current license, up until the point where hardware changes would require a replacement. This is speaking from the POV of a networked license, I haven't got a clue about standalone licenses. But this is merely instinct speaking, don't try this without confirmation of an official...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

ombra

Post by ombra » 04 Mar 2014, 14:07

Helli wrote:If you don't find the right words anymore:

http://www.youswear.com/index.asp?langu ... xXLH_mwbYg

I like this one:
AD those dildo munching gutter sluts.

I agree with Helli

I Dont' t know you guys but problem is very big for me! And Autodesk and company should understand!

1) I'd like to ask autodesk what xsi user can do now after yeras years of expiriance and productivity in softiamge!!

2) if we change software the porting of all our skills took ages!!!!!!!!!!

3) in Meantime we are not competitive and cannot work, so no meny and so on!!!!!!!!!

4) Softimage is the best software ever as workflow and technology, only Houdini is the better then xsi for me!!!!! Is not software war is a fact!

5) To learn Houdini took ages and after? Are we able to find jobs?

6 ) i dont want use Autodesk product anymore becosue it like to buy software and kill , whatever software is !

So i dont know what will happen in meantime i will try to learn houdini if able to be competitive in short time but i dont think so!!!

Morgan Nilsson

Post by Morgan Nilsson » 04 Mar 2014, 14:13

ombra wrote:
Helli wrote:If you don't find the right words anymore:

http://www.youswear.com/index.asp?langu ... xXLH_mwbYg

I like this one:
AD those dildo munching gutter sluts.

I agree with Helli

I Dont' t know you guys but problem is very big for me! And Autodesk and company should understand!

1) I'd like to ask autodesk what xsi user can do now after yeras years of expiriance and productivity in softiamge!!

2) if we change software the porting of all our skills took ages!!!!!!!!!!

3) in Meantime we are not competitive and cannot work, so no meny and so on!!!!!!!!!

4) Softimage is the best software ever as workflow and technology, only Houdini is the better then xsi for me!!!!! Is not software war is a fact!

5) To learn Houdini took ages and after? Are we able to find jobs?

6 ) i dont want use Autodesk product anymore becosue it like to buy software and kill , whatever software is !

So i dont know what will happen in meantime i will try to learn houdini if able to be competitive in short time but i dont think so!!!
Your general skills and knowledge won't be in vain.

It will take some time to transition and get into Houdinis way of doing things, but eventually you will get to the same or beyond the productivity you once had in Softimage.

You can keep using your current Softimage version whilst you get up to speed in Houdini on the side. Gradually do more work in Houdini as you get more and more comfortable and confident with it.

And fear not if the modeling tools is the main issue right now. SideFX is overhauling things related to modeling.

It is indeed a sad day for us all, including us who never used Softimage.(Seeing how easily Autodesk can brush off such a key app like it is nothing) Similar rumors has been fluctuating regarding 3ds Max for years now.
It is very obvious Autodesk wants everyone to move over to Maya considering it wasn't 3ds Max LT that became a thing... It was Maya LT. (Considering it is ment for Indie game dev, 3ds Max should have been the obvious choice to create a low-cost solution for that market, but no...)

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 04 Mar 2014, 14:17

Look like the "official" announcement from AD will be around 3pm EST today folks...

Anyway, the damage is done. I'll keep XSI al long as I can. I wish I could be in Montreal right now to Protest at the M&E HQ.

Long live SOFTIMAGE!
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 04 Mar 2014, 14:20

@ombra
The answer is easy: AD does not give a sh*t. The only value for them is shareholder value, nothing else.

And they keep on slapping our face with this press release, telling us, the want to concentrate (you mean, spare money) and port technology over to f*cking Maya and pluginhost Max...well, what did you do the past five years..? Hopefully NONONE will ever trust their words again. It´s all has been bullsh*t from 2008 until now...draw you money out of that company if possible. They ruined the market and suppressed innovation and evolution where ever possible in highend DCC market. Sad days...and days full of anger...

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 04 Mar 2014, 14:23

this is not a suprise. with the known maya direction and the si ice team going to maya it was clear that si will not live that long because maya is getting all the features that let si stand out.
the userbase is to small and the dev of si of the last years was without any real improvements. without arnold si would be dead since some years in terms of usage.
i only hope for the people from vray and redshift that their investment payed off.
Last edited by Kzin on 04 Mar 2014, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 04 Mar 2014, 14:24

To me, one of the things, of the everyday workflow I love in Softimage is the L M R buttons to move, rotate, scale an object or component. This alone is a huge time (and stress) saver.
Since I use softwares as Flash speed continuosly switching on shortcuts, whatever other software where I need to find the pivot, axis, Y, X,Z.. moving, rotate, on every single thing I select is just HELL!...
Softimage is so fast working with, instead!

All the others softwares, despite of their qualities, are already a step behind in the daily use, for this single reason.

I'll continue using Softimage for years, still. There is no doubt, about it. They'be been 5 years in AD without no real (the usual for Soft) innovation, and still is ahead of the others in many areas.

I see people still using Maya 2011 or 2012 with no thinking of upgrading for a bunch of "new features".

So, we could see this as "no, thanks... I'm going to upgrade later, when I see some real innovations".

Till there..fuck AD.

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 04 Mar 2014, 14:35

Kzin wrote:this is not a suprise. with the known maya direction and the si ice team going to maya it was clear that si will not live that long because maya is getting all the features that let si stand out.
If only it was so simple. We wouldn't be talking (and swearing) here if it was. Making Maya as artist-friendly as XSI is something yet to be proven. At the moment, there are worlds between.
Kzin wrote: the userbase is to small and the dev of si of the last years was without any real improvements. without arnold si would be dead since some years in terms of usage.
i only hope for the people from vray and redshift that their investment payed off.
Redshift 1.0 is at the doorstep... they don't deserve this!! AD should take them as an example how to pull off the really good stuff.
Maybe they will even try to hire them... =p

Helli

Post by Helli » 04 Mar 2014, 14:40

Redshift got a maya plugin.

And to be honest. A renderer is only 10% about it's integration into software. The rest of the knowledge is the renderer itself. And if it's good you are good to go.
Like Arnold, theres a plugin for houdini, blender, maya, softimage.

ombra

Post by ombra » 04 Mar 2014, 14:40

The problem is that as freelance i am not able to find a job with softimage, ok is also my fault that i used only softimage for 10 and more yers but i think that if u are very faster and productivity with a software for a company is better. In the last 4 years all company change on Maya.

To many time a company ask to me can u use maya and i said. Yes if you can w8 1 week for a professioanl rigs and ages for write a tools. This is the big problem and in meantime i need to work !

~x(

i am try to study Houdini but i need to work as well. My idea after 10 yers expiriance give up 3d ! Becouse i need work - money and life.

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 04 Mar 2014, 14:42

If anything, Softimage is just a victim of Autodesk's perpetual juggling act.

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 04 Mar 2014, 14:46

OzAdi wrote:I am sure the a$$holes who decided to retire softimage, never had to learn how to work with a software more complicated then Word or Outlook..
I am working daily and earning money with softimage since 1997, that's 17 years, and I still have a lot to learn. now AD threw away all those years of learning, telling me
at age 40 I need to start learning a different, less capable, less friendly software... who's gonna pay me for the huge amount of time it'll take me to learn Crapa or 3DS Crapx??????
You can use Softimage for the next few years. We have 2014, then 2015 will be new version. That can hold you (and me) until at least 2020.

j3st3r

Post by j3st3r » 04 Mar 2014, 14:55

Too sad news. F*ck autodesk (with lower case, as traitors and other criminals deserve)

so the thing is that keeping now softimage is the worst anybody can do. Unfortunately we are forced to move on maya, or go out of autodreck proximity. If I want to get a job, switching to maya is the most important thing I can imagine. Even for home stuff, because in work I have to provide the best with that...Of course, I could switch to modo (I see very rare ads requiring modo skills), or Cinema4D (even less)...

but this finally proved me that autodreck is huge pile of stinky, steaming shit.

ombra

Post by ombra » 04 Mar 2014, 14:57

You can use Softimage for the next few years. We have 2014, then 2015 will be new version. That can hold you (and me) until at least 2020.

U Are right at home as hobby becouse no one company need Softimage this is what i recive every time i sent a cv.