Autodesk retires Softimage

News concerning 3D DCC business
mc_axe

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by mc_axe » 04 Mar 2014, 19:13

I was expecting this for years but rly sad day.

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 04 Mar 2014, 19:15

angus_davidson wrote:
Hirazi Blue wrote:Well the "termination of the license" clause clinches it. I am now officially looking for a new hobby, preferably not involving big evil cooperations and their henchmen...
:ymsick:
Its like they want to rub salt in the wounds.
Would it really have hurt them to leave us with a legacy copy of Softimage if we need to tweak an old project? Especially if we do end up using Maya and continue paying them subs :-?

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 04 Mar 2014, 19:21

Amazing how all the worst software companies on earth always end up being the standard.

There's a special place in hell for Autodesk.

SI 3rd party development was never better than right now. Very sad.

pimeto

Post by pimeto » 04 Mar 2014, 19:23

I cant believe this but i nearly shed a tear. I cant believe im taking this so emotionally!
For over 12 years i use this product and this day finally came! Since AD bought XSI we all were expecting this. Specially after all the "improvements" they released with every release!

What a bunch of corporate pieces of shit heads, this company is run by!
To buy and kill slowly a wonderful product instead of developing and creating even more and more brilliant software - you must be an absolute idiot!

Well, thats it for me! I personally am in a bit of a shock now, since i expect to go in USA this summer and look for a job in the game industry. I dont know what im gonna do now...

Will have to start learning Modo i guess, ill give it another try ( the interface is killing me!).

Wish me luch guys, building a workflow all over again.... fuck you AUtodicks!

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 04 Mar 2014, 19:24

Helli wrote:Nah not your fault guys. Stick around here and watch us learning Modo and Houdini.
Superpositivo wrote:To me, one of the things, of the everyday workflow I love in Softimage is the L M R buttons to move, rotate, scale an object or component. This alone is a huge time (and stress) saver.
Since I use softwares as Flash speed continuosly switching on shortcuts, whatever other software where I need to find the pivot, axis, Y, X,Z.. moving, rotate, on every single thing I select is just HELL!...
Same. This is one of the things I'll miss the most. Must be especially fun when the pivot is far away from the actual object.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 04 Mar 2014, 19:36

At least if we die as SI artists , lets die with some style, i will come back later on that just too emotional right now,

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 04 Mar 2014, 19:39

The only positive thing is that one doesn't need to wonder and fear anymore what might be coming. Almost like psycho therapy: Meet you fear and become one with it.

Oh man, 3-4 years and I am finally so in love this software. And now that. How can they actually expect anyone to trust them after all those lies and letting the customer down. Even trying to make one feel that this is a good solution and decision for the future.

These days one really questions the sanity of the leader of some country to the east of Europe. But the real dickheads seem to be sitting and reigning more in the west. No difference. Greed and selfishness whereever one looks.

Do all bad things start with an A? Adolf, Adobe, Autodesk, ... ?

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 04 Mar 2014, 19:42

Pancho wrote:The only positive thing is that one doesn't need to wonder and fear anymore what might be coming. Almost like psycho therapy: Meet you fear and become one with it.

Oh man, 3-4 years and I am finally so in love this software. And now that. How can they actually expect anyone to trust them after all those lies and letting the customer down. Even trying to make one feel that this is a good solution and decision for the future.

These days one really questions the sanity of the leader of some country to the east of Europe. But the real dickheads seem to be sitting and reigning more in the west. No difference. Greed and selfishness whereever one looks.

Do all bad things start with an A? Adolf, Adobe, Autodesk, ... ?
Well my name starts with an A so hopefully I am not all bad ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Werner

Post by Werner » 04 Mar 2014, 19:51

October 23rd 2008. Autodesk acquires Softimage press release.
Marc Petit: "...We plan to maintain and grow the Softimage product line, and through Autodesk FBX provide better interoperability between Softimage products, 3ds Max and Autodesk Maya... <snip> ...To all 3D artists out there, I want to tell you that we understand your passion for the creative tools you use daily, and that with Autodesk, you can choose your passion."

What a f@#king liar Autodesk turned out to be!
Last edited by Werner on 04 Mar 2014, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 04 Mar 2014, 19:51

... antisocial, anarchy, a..hole, arse, ....

xowgax

Post by xowgax » 04 Mar 2014, 19:52

Someone needs to ask Foundry (or perhaps Adobe?) to try and acquire it..
At least Microsoft/Avid had the fucking decency to put their baby up for adoption instead of abandoning it to die.
Last edited by xowgax on 05 Mar 2014, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 04 Mar 2014, 19:53

azurecgi wrote:
angus_davidson wrote:
Hirazi Blue wrote:Well the "termination of the license" clause clinches it. I am now officially looking for a new hobby, preferably not involving big evil cooperations and their henchmen...
:ymsick:
Its like they want to rub salt in the wounds.
Would it really have hurt them to leave us with a legacy copy of Softimage if we need to tweak an old project? Especially if we do end up using Maya and continue paying them subs :-?
They can't even just continue offering it like Composite/Mathmover...

This has me really worried. Right now, we are ending Dora The Explorer and starting up Dora And Friends (Dora a little oldier, with a bunch of other girls, not animals, etc). I just finished animating my last episode's Backpack scenes, which are created in Softimage and After Effects. So this will probably go dormant till a few years until they want to return and make new Dora The Explorer shows. Sort of like we did with Go, Diego Go!

Well, I guess Autodesk just killed Dora's Backpack..... How will I be able to open old scenes in 3 years time? There's huge ICE trees on him, which won't exactly translate into another software package....

Wearing all black with my Softimage XSI hoodie tshirt... In mourning. I've got 3 other tshirts (Siggraph red spiderman one, the v7 ICE one, and my favorite the XSI + 64bit = 3D Love) to round out the week.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 04 Mar 2014, 20:00

I just hope that in 3 years there will be a true alternative and no one needs to stick with dodgy company... At no cost!

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 04 Mar 2014, 20:01

I will act like if I wouldn't foreseen this a year ago:
"Wow, really? Oh, no"
:D

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 04 Mar 2014, 20:06

I'm looking at this 'free' Maya transition option as I'm on subscription, and just trying to work out what Maya does for strand like effects. I use strands all the time in my work. Does anyone know if Maya has anything like strands or line/curve rendering?