Solid Angle aims to start selling licences of Arnold

News concerning 3D DCC business
Nizar

Solid Angle aims to start selling licences of Arnold

Post by Nizar » 09 Oct 2013, 23:39

Solid Angle aims to start selling licences of Arnold later this year. Prices start at €1,000 per single permanent licence. Annual support and maintenance is €225

http://www.creativebloq.com/3d/how-fast ... s-10134785

MauricioPC

Re: Solid Angle aims to start selling licences of Arnold

Post by MauricioPC » 10 Oct 2013, 00:21

That's extremely competitive. Same price tag as others renders, V-Ray included. And with the new V-Ray price and license, I think Arnold could take a good chunk of the market.

Falam

Post by Falam » 10 Oct 2013, 03:23

That is about $1,350 US per license. I know most of you could figure this out yourself, I wanted to post it anyhow :) It is competitive. Which renders will fall and which will succeed ?

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 10 Oct 2013, 08:54

That doesn't seem too bad for the ui version.

I wonder how much for render nodes though!

Nox

Post by Nox » 10 Oct 2013, 12:04

That's great news for Softimage, it's much better integrated than Vray.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 10 Oct 2013, 12:09

Good news for sure, unfortunately is a plugin present also in maya. A softimage exclusive would have the same effect it had Vray for max

Helli

Post by Helli » 10 Oct 2013, 15:32

azurecgi wrote:That doesn't seem too bad for the ui version.

The same. Solid Angle never made any difference between interactive and render license. Only difference is going to be that you don't need to buy a bundle of at least 5 or 10 licenes.

At least if they don't change the price model ;)

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 10 Oct 2013, 20:37

Helli wrote:
azurecgi wrote:That doesn't seem too bad for the ui version.

The same. Solid Angle never made any difference between interactive and render license. Only difference is going to be that you don't need to buy a bundle of at least 5 or 10 licenes.

At least if they don't change the price model ;)
But if you do need 5 or 10 licenses for node rendering, it's going to cost €5000 to €10000!!!!!!!!! :-o

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 10 Oct 2013, 22:02

Yep.
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 11 Oct 2013, 00:14

El Burritoh wrote:Yep.
Well, to quote Duncan Banatine from Dragons Den, "I'm out!"

scaron

Post by scaron » 23 Oct 2013, 04:13

ya, you are buying arnold standalone, not the plugins. you get access to all the plugins unlike like the competition. i think it is for the best, they have a simpler model which scales predictably. obviously it doesn't work as well for 1 person... this is why they have the current model having to be a company and purchase many licenses.

of course all of this can easily change if they decide to start selling plugins, but i don't see that happening.

scaron

Post by scaron » 23 Oct 2013, 04:21

Nizar wrote:Good news for sure, unfortunately is a plugin present also in maya. A softimage exclusive would have the same effect it had Vray for max
i don't see it that way... solid angle doesn't care about maya or softimage market they care about selling arnold licenses. the arnold integrations with maya and softimage can work very well with each other. we worked with a maya shop on elysium and arnold made that possible. i could see maya houses getting MORE use out of softimage because of the sitoa plugin. if they need to get an effect done in softimage and want to render in arnold you can get 100% matched results in sitoa or you can export back to arnold's scene file format and render in maya.

i actually think that solid angle would have been laughed at and would lose customers without a maya plugin.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 23 Oct 2013, 16:56

Good news for sure, unfortunately is a plugin present also in maya. A softimage exclusive would have the same effect it had Vray for max
What scaron said. Plus the fact that Arnold doesn't have a general big advantage against Vray, it is even considered inferior for interior scenes. So it isn't a sea change like when GI hit the industry.

Falam

Post by Falam » 03 Nov 2013, 20:36

Nizar wrote:Solid Angle aims to start selling licences of Arnold later this year. Prices start at €1,000 per single permanent licence. Annual support and maintenance is €225

http://www.creativebloq.com/3d/how-fast ... s-10134785
How later this year, it's already November ?

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 03 Nov 2013, 22:45

Bullit wrote:
What scaron said. Plus the fact that Arnold doesn't have a general big advantage against Vray, it is even considered inferior for interior scenes. So it isn't a sea change like when GI hit the industry.
From what people who used it in production say, I'd say that it actually does have a big advantage over Vray. It scales very well with heavy scenes and it doesn't take a big hit as other render engines do when activating the multi-headed beast - dof, moblur, hair, diplacement, etc.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 03 Nov 2013, 23:32

A sea change means first functional GI not just an advantage in one part of the render.