Autodesk: 30% revenues come from 1% of customers

News concerning 3D DCC business
Bullit

Autodesk: 30% revenues come from 1% of customers

Post by Bullit » 29 Sep 2013, 03:33

http://readwrite.com/2013/03/26/autodes ... e-software

My highlights
While Autodesk's consumer revenue will double this year, Bass said, "We don't make enough [on consumer apps] to pay the rental on this floor."
The real reason? "A huge amount of learning about how people really want to work with their tools," Bass said. Autodesk needed to figure out "how quickly you had to get someone from knowing nothing to satisfaction" in order to eliminate the learning curve and make professional software as satisfying as consumer apps.
Compared to modern consumer apps, he said. "Enterprise software sucks." The message has become, "less expensive means easy to use, more expensive means really difficult to use," Bass said. "We have to remedy that!" Increasingly, professionals want the ease and convenience they get in their personal lives in their business environment as well - and are intolerant when the don't get it. Business software companies that don't give them that "will be losers," Bass warned.
Consumer app users want "instant gratification," he said, and "we're trying to push that into our professional products.
Tip: http://xsisupport.com/
Last edited by Bullit on 29 Sep 2013, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

luceric

Re: Autodesk: 30% revenues come from 1% of costumers

Post by luceric » 29 Sep 2013, 04:11

Autodesk: 30% revenues come from 1% of costumers
didn't know so many people making costumes were using Autodesk software ...

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 29 Sep 2013, 13:01

luceric wrote:
Autodesk: 30% revenues come from 1% of costumers
They don't.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 29 Sep 2013, 13:14

See? Anything there. M&E (and other areas too seemingly) is not profitable, AD heading for a new market, try to sell services instead of expensive software, and if they could, they would get rid of M&E rather sooner than later. Though he didn't mention M&E in particular, it should be clear to everyone now what's behind these words.

I'd say any discussion about how Si should be advertised is futile.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 29 Sep 2013, 13:26

@luceric - really, a very cheap shot solely based on language usage?
On an international forum, where some people are quite insecure about their English skills anyway,
this would seem to be highly inappropriate behavior...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 29 Sep 2013, 13:41

Hirazi Blue wrote:@luceric - really, a very cheap shot solely based on language usage?
On an international forum, where some people are quite insecure about their English skills anyway,
this would seem to be highly inappropriate behavior...
Ah well, eye of the beholder, what?...I find that luceric has become quite droll
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 29 Sep 2013, 13:45

I haven't commented on it's "drollness", I haven't even told him to cut it out. I explained why it is inappropriate behavior on an international forum. Like I have explained on numerous occasions in the past to other people, BTW. But then I am only an Administrator here, what would I know...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 29 Sep 2013, 14:01

Hirazi Blue wrote:I haven't commented on it's "drollness", I haven't even told him to cut it out. I explained why it is inappropriate behavior on an international forum. Like I have explained on numerous occasions in the past to other people, BTW. But then I am only an Administrator here, what would I know...
Let people expose themselves :)

luceric

Post by luceric » 29 Sep 2013, 14:15

Bullit wrote:
Consumer app users want "instant gratification," he said, and "we're trying to push that into our professional products.
Nothing says instant gratification more than hitting a problem in a professional software, and then having to go to the internet to find a workaround on a blog!

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 29 Sep 2013, 17:11

luceric wrote:
Bullit wrote:
Nothing says instant gratification more than hitting a problem in a professional software, and then having to go to the internet to find a workaround on a blog!
You have clearly run out of arguments.

mkr

Post by mkr » 29 Sep 2013, 17:20

I must say I kind feel sorry for all the engineers and programmers at Autodesk if they have people like Carl Bass as a CEO over there, I mean what he probably wants from them is to create application where you press on couple of buttons and voila you get Pixar-quality movie in half an hour...or something like that.

luceric

Post by luceric » 29 Sep 2013, 18:34

it's possible to have some forms of "instant gratification" for some things. for example: With PaintFX you pick a preset and you start painting ferns and flowers, and you see them immediately. On the other hand, before we worked on the interface for XGen you'd have to work through a tutorial before getting any vegetation on screen. You probably still do, it's just not thought that way. Also, let's say a software's primitive all have UV by defaults, plus a physically plausible material assigned by default, and the rights are physical lights, and have good defaults (shadows on, for example), you can have the model look pretty good in the viewport and render preview up instantly. it doesn't mean you're done. It only means you get a first result quickly.

I have half-vintage drum machine called the EMU-XL-7 that comes with a big manual. The first ten page are titled "Instant Gratification". It shows you how to get a beat going quickly. Then the rest of manual is about all the technical details...

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 29 Sep 2013, 18:57

Thanks for the correction.
I must say I kind feel sorry for all the engineers and programmers at Autodesk if they have people like Carl Bass as a CEO over there, I mean what he probably wants from them is to create application where you press on couple of buttons and voila you get Pixar-quality movie in half an hour...or something like that.
I agree with the CEO (heheh does this gives me a job? :D B-) ), i think you are paradoxically simplifying what i think is being said. It should be pursued gratification, or if you don't like that word you can call it feedback for what is being done. You make a change, for example in ICE it shows even if in degrade quality the effect.
Gratification is essential to have many more people don't give up and have more pleasure or less displeasure while working. It ties the steps, makes a way, a route, a narrative. It is easier for the brain to work.

Maximus

Re: Autodesk: 30% revenues come from 1% of customers

Post by Maximus » 29 Sep 2013, 19:11

Put it simply. People expect software to work, not to be a damn patchwork of bugs and unfinished features disconnected without logic for over a decade.
Yeah of course no app is without bugs and bad sides, but when you touch AD stuff, its more issues than ever. They didnt polish anything in years and now they are like "oh.. people want stuff to work out of the box" Good morning.

Its not a one-push-button that creates Iron Man FX that people wants.
I gladly go online to check a tutorial on how to use a new tool, provided 1) the tutorial doesnt suck 2) the tool itself is integrated perfectly 3) the software doesnt crash on me.
Softwares should constantly be polished and updated, to have them work better, not worse like AD is doing. Every damn release is a disaster in terms of performance and stability.
But yeah, wasted words to deaf ears.

Falam

Post by Falam » 29 Sep 2013, 19:15

The poll shows most will stand behind Softimage, which is encouraging.

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 29 Sep 2013, 20:08

Are we really discussing the most unimportant two words from this statement?