Some news from Siggraph

News concerning 3D DCC business
Maximus

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Maximus » 06 Aug 2013, 03:22

ojo3D wrote:On an unrelated subject, I'm being playing with modo 701 since friday (downloaded the demo). Trying to compare it with C4D. I've downloaded a model from TurboSquid (ferrari) and duplicated until my system (notebook) started to cry.

11 million quads in C4D and I could still play a simple camera animation through 36 duplicated cars. Tried to do the same thing in Modo and in the 8 million poly (modo count, since it was only 8 cars) the software freezed. Funny thing, if I export through Alembic, Modo converts it to replicators and then I can move and play and the viewport says 25 million polys. Go figure ...
I would be curios to see what happens if you try the same 11 mil quads 36 duplicated cars on Softimage viewport :)

ojo3D

Post by ojo3D » 06 Aug 2013, 04:14

Maximus wrote:I would be curios to see what happens if you try the same 11 mil quads 36 duplicated cars on Softimage viewport :)

That is curious. Of course in my PC, with C4D I can get some fluid experience with the 36 cars. Modo with 20 cars is almost unusable. Maya and Softimage, again, on my computer, got a similar experience. I was able to get to 24 cars in both with a 5 fps. That on a GeForce 335M is quite good I think. I always thought Maya's viewport was going to be a lot better, but from a crappy gpu perspective, it is not. :)

It is better, but not so much. And of course my hard drives impact a lot on the performance since it's not SSD. But I thought the difference between modo and C4D intriguing and also the difference in calculating the amount of data on the scene.

As it seems, modo calculates more then what's on display. Maybe those videos of 701 with billion polys wasn't exactly billion polys. :-??
Attachments
softimage2.jpg

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 06 Aug 2013, 06:11

My point is C4D handles way better multiple geometries, Softimage hangs and choke when you start to add a lot of geometries, while it handles very well single high poly meshes.
C4D handles very well both kind of scenarios, Modo i dont know that much but i trust your tests :)

That for example been another performance field where Softimage never went updated or upgraded.

diissar

Post by diissar » 06 Aug 2013, 11:23

@ojo3D: your welcome my friend :)

@Maximus: I agree with you Maximus,lets hope the situation will change.

lets see what the future will bring to us :)

Here is a video showing SquareEnix designers working on Final fantasy XIII using Softimage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFxzYbgctvU

diissar

Post by diissar » 06 Aug 2013, 12:19

TD survival Alan Fregtman shared his experience as a rigger on the Movie Pacific rim!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/x ... P2mvgpovYJ

ojo3D

Post by ojo3D » 06 Aug 2013, 13:45

Maximus wrote:My point is C4D handles way better multiple geometries, Softimage hangs and choke when you start to add a lot of geometries, while it handles very well single high poly meshes.
C4D handles very well both kind of scenarios, Modo i dont know that much but i trust your tests :)

That for example been another performance field where Softimage never went updated or upgraded.
Yeah. But what didn't let me down was the similar performance from Maya. Now on the C4D side, it really has more consistency. What I found funny about Modo is that if I imported throught Alembic, it would keep one car and the other ones were transformed or substituted by replicators. But if I imported one single .OBJ and kept duplicating it, one mesh for witch car, it started to choke before Maya, SI or C4D. In any case, Modo render is still fast as hell.
diissar wrote:Here is a video showing SquareEnix designers working on Final fantasy XIII using Softimage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFxzYbgctvU
Only the japanese to have a creative office seems like just a normal office with cubicles. It looks like a Matrix scene. @-)
diissar wrote:TD survival Alan Fregtman shared his experience as a rigger on the Movie Pacific rim!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/xsi_list/irlFhq_7U-o/q4P2mvgpovYJ
That's some interested read. Thanks.

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 06 Aug 2013, 15:20

Siggraph 2013: Pixar Renderman to join forces with Katana

Full article here.

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news ... th-katana/
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

luceric

Post by luceric » 06 Aug 2013, 16:39

ojo3D wrote:
Maximus wrote:That for example been another performance field where Softimage never went updated or upgraded.
Yeah. But what didn't let me down was the similar performance from Maya. Now on the C4D side, it really has more consistency. What I found funny about Modo is that if I imported throught Alembic, it would keep one car and the other ones were transformed or substituted by replicators. But if I imported one single .OBJ and kept duplicating it, one mesh for witch car, it started to choke before Maya, SI or C4D. In any case, Modo render is still fast as hell.
I'm curious to know which version of Maya this is, and whether it's in the old viewport or Viewport 2.0.

ojo3D

Post by ojo3D » 06 Aug 2013, 17:44

luceric wrote:I'm curious to know which version of Maya this is, and whether it's in the old viewport or Viewport 2.0.
I've being playing with all 2014 student versions of Autodesk products. Max, Maya and XSI. I like them all. But since it's easier to find work with some things like product-viz and motion graphics, I was seriously studying C4D. Just decided then to see what Modo was like and got this idea of comparing viewport performance.

You need to take into consideration that here in Brazil a Quadro card is really expensive. Just to give you an idea, a Quadro 4000 PNY on Amazon is selling for about $ 700. The same card here costs $ 1.500. So probably most freelancers don't use the best cards in the market. That being said, the performance of Viewport 2.0 is worst then the old viewport on my notebook or my desktop.

On my note I have a GeForce 335M and on the destkop I have 2x GeForce GT 550Ti on SLI. I do know I have to upgrade, but I'm saving money for the SSD's. I mostly work on my desktop and leave my notebook to play and study.

Now, I've just tried 3ds Max on my note (I'm formatting my desktop to go back to Win 7) and thought the performance of the viewport was better than Maya or XSI. I was able to put 45 million polys on it. And I was able to do it on the new Nitrous viewport as on the old legady Direct3D. What impressed me too was that when I save the scene file, it saves a huge file (500mb+) and 3ds Max was the fastest to open it. I feel the bottleneck here is the hard drives. I'm unable to do the same thing on Maya or XSI because they freeze first.

Anyway, I was just playing with it and thought of giving my impressions.

Cheers.

P.S.: I've just crashed Max trying to export this. :D
Attachments
max.jpg

luceric

Post by luceric » 06 Aug 2013, 22:07

ojo3D wrote:So probably most freelancers don't use the best cards in the market. That being said, the performance of Viewport 2.0 is worst then the old viewport on my notebook or my desktop.
I don't think a quadro card should be necessary. I'm curious about how slower VP2 is.. I think that it loads the objects once of the GPU the first time it sees them, so in the user guide they seem to commend doing a frame all first before tumbling the camera around if you want the first tumble to be fast. it's supposed to be fast after everything is loaded I guess

ojo3D

Post by ojo3D » 06 Aug 2013, 23:29

luceric wrote:I don't think a quadro card should be necessary. I'm curious about how slower VP2 is.. I think that it loads the objects once of the GPU the first time it sees them, so in the user guide they seem to commend doing a frame all first before tumbling the camera around if you want the first tumble to be fast. it's supposed to be fast after everything is loaded I guess

My mistake luceric. I was talking about the standart quality viewport of Maya. VP2.0 is faster than High Quality Viewport. HQV chokes with most scenes and VP2.0 is smooth until a certain point. Beyond that, is my GPU fault.

Sorry for the confusion.

--- EDIT ---

Hey luceric ... maybe is something with Win 8. I tried again and the VP2.0 worked better than the other options. Thanks for your time.

grreez

Post by grreez » 07 Aug 2013, 10:46

grreez wrote:
Digital Tutors seems does not read the article (and not hear the rumors), so release today a new softimage tutorial (two tutorial in three months):
http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?pid=1239&inf_contact_key=baa6244a9da836d263ba128f015d18e222a9f8a52add3007fd6ee830e9bfb447
Since not many new features have been added by ad making new SI tutorials wouldn't make any sense...

There are some good tutorials on DT (30%) those with Kyle Green and the Introduction to ICE Strands in Softimage, all the other ones are just a waste of time.
i found better ones on gnomon workshop, 3dquakers.com, i3dtutorials.com and a lot of free tutorials on www.redi-vivus.com.
I was very lucky to buy xsi 7 on ebay with a lot of tutorials by Avid and some other cool stuff.

Rumors are often delivered with no return address. In most cases, it is wise you do not reply.
Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.

It's about trust!!!
Trust is built upon a foundation of mutual respect for one another. If respect is absent, trust can never be achieved.
Trust is fostered and nurtured by a sense of accountability, mutual communication, quality and accomplishments of two entities. This builds cohesiveness that bonds both together and strengthens trust in all involved. As the cohesiveness increases, so does a sense of trust, and all involved feel linked by common goals/visions, experiences and successes. They have a sense that everyone is “in it together” and collaborate as a unit rather than as individuals.
Autodesk should change the attitude and start respecting us the customers.

I wish i was a billionaire and bought xsi of autodesk.
Last edited by grreez on 07 Aug 2013, 11:55, edited 5 times in total.

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 07 Aug 2013, 11:09

I'm fine with Autodesk saving the Siggraph booth money if they put it into development. No hype expected...

At the moment, I for my part am not so much interested in 100 innovations, but more consolidation/fixing of old inconsistencies, and making Soft a better "platform".
The trend is clear: the real innovations will come from outside ADSK, and that is very much ok, too, as long as the doors are kept open.
Nothing to be ashamed of, really. Let's just not pretend anything or make false assumptions.

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 07 Aug 2013, 11:14

:D

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 07 Aug 2013, 14:10

another proof of how well ADSK knows how to work

An ADSK event sponsored by blender foundation... really, they would sell their mothers for money :D

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 07 Aug 2013, 15:46

Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/