Some news from Siggraph

News concerning 3D DCC business
Maximus

Some news from Siggraph

Post by Maximus » 24 Jul 2013, 17:02

http://www.maxunderground.com/archives/ ... naiad.html

We got our first report in from the user event meeting from last night from 3DS Max veteran Mitch Gates. As it turns out the whole evening did not mention 3DS Max at all but instead apparently focused almost solely on Maya.

This is very disappointing news for long-time 3DS Max users who were at least hoping to get some news of what the future has to bring for 3DS Max.

The successor to Naiad was shown, now called "Bifröst", and has been completely implemented into Maya. When asked if it would also be implemented into 3DS Max, the answer was for 3DS Max users to not get their hopes up.

If you were at the event and have more to share, please submit to us here at Maxunderground.

Interesting news about Softimage future as usual :)

gustavoeb

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by gustavoeb » 24 Jul 2013, 17:49

yeahp, it is ever clearer that ADs future is very Maya centric.
oh well, they have to chose to focus on something I guess...
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 24 Jul 2013, 17:50

Lucky Mayans. It will certainly help to cement it's position.
Interesting news about Softimage future as usual :)
Anything you can reveal? :-*

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 24 Jul 2013, 21:16

I was just kidding, its a total shame that there isnt anything on Softimage, nothing, zero, total silence.
Mark blog on the area is a desert, no words, nothing. Better be prepared to embrace another software which i swear to god wont be under AD unbrella anymore.

They say they are public corporation and cant disclosure anything, how comes they said about Naiad? I'm pretty sure if they want they can at least give us a glimpse on what is going on.

My personal point of view is that Softimage doesnt have a lot to live and i'm quite frankly happy i didnt give them money with 2014. They wont squeeze me untill the last day (which is going to come soon).

luceric

Post by luceric » 24 Jul 2013, 22:15

waiting for july 25th to see the videos on http://area.autodesk.com/Anaheim2013

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 24 Jul 2013, 22:43

luceric wrote:waiting for july 25th to see the videos on http://area.autodesk.com/Anaheim2013
thanks I am holding my breath.

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 24 Jul 2013, 22:55

lol
Gustavo Eggert Boehs

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 24 Jul 2013, 23:07

I'm not at Siggraph and so didn't attend the meeting, though I think I have an idea of what was probably shown.

The Max guys on the forum link are venting alot, but there's alot of adding two and two together and making five.

I'm saying nothing more, though if anyone wants to pvt me, then feel free.

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 24 Jul 2013, 23:19

My feeling exactly.... ~o)
Attachments
chickenthursday2.jpg
chickenthursday2.jpg (53.12 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 25 Jul 2013, 00:51

http://www.fxguide.com/fxpodcasts/fxpod ... ay-report/

look at last picture and description:

"There is a wide variety of stands some like HD Hard drives were welcome, but missing was Autodesk who have abandoned Tradeshow Booths"

=)) =)) =)) =)) =))

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 25 Jul 2013, 03:09

Gustavo Eggert Boehs

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 25 Jul 2013, 10:38

Maximus wrote:I was just kidding, its a total shame that there isnt anything on Softimage, nothing, zero, total silence.
Balls. So no stand, no nothing. It's hard not to read that any other way than bad. I will try and stay optimistic %-(

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Jul 2013, 10:44

C'mon people, at this point anyone who still truly cares too much, is a masochist... Not that being a masochist is a bad thing BTW. This is just more of the usual Autodesk "song and dance". They'll never change their tune, it's us who should stop listening for subtle variations that are never really there...
%-(
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Nox

Post by Nox » 25 Jul 2013, 11:08

Just accept simple fact that XSI will stay forever in current state and spare yourself endless frustration. B-)

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 25 Jul 2013, 11:46

fyi overnight, Frank Delise posted this to the Max underground site

Hi all, I wanted to add some color to some of the concerns here.

Yes, it was unfortunate that some of our max customer demos got canceled last minute. Siggraph was a bit different for us this year vs previous years. As a corp company, unfortunately we can’t disclose the roadmap of our products anytime we want like the good old days. Not by choice, but by revenue accounting laws. Since our product ship dates are not aligned with Siggraph, this causes us to have limited news to share about our products.

This is why we have our own event, the Unfold event. This allows us to share the roadmap that is aligned with ship dates.

Then why did Maya show up with some cool stuff this year at Siggraph user event and not max? It just so happens that the technology preview for Maya was ready for Siggraph, whereas the 3ds max work that we are doing is gearing up for a update soon and we will be discussing the details of that in the near future.The timing wasn’t right for Siggraph. Again not always in our control on what trade show they line up to.

On the general direction of Maya vs Max, nothing has changed. Maya was designed for entertainment customers whom need a platform to extend. Max was designed for the democratization of content creation for all markets. So Maya may be better for deep pipeline integration, Where Max is good for out of the box artist toolset for a broader markets.

It also means that the Maya team focuses all its energy on entertainment features and the Max team divides its energy on a variation of markets, from design viz, VFX, Games, etc.. So naturally, if you are a VFX artist only, you may see more progress on the Maya front than you do on Max depending on the releases.

When I took over the product for the 2014 release, I made some significant changes. I refocused a lot the energy on stability and performance. I also put a significant focus on “small annoying things”. This resulted in some significant performance and stability improvements and cleaned up some workflows.

Did you get fluids :), No, not yet.. But it was the right thing to do for Max’s continued growth. Meanwhile, we still managed to get in some impressive features.

As a Maya user, you would have noticed the same thing for the past couple of years where Maya was pretty dry in the new feature department but had significant scalability and API enhancements. Sometime it takes entire teams to make big shifts like that. So let the Maya team enjoy some new fun features :).

As for Max, we are hard at work on features that have been raised up from our customers. Some will be for entertainment, games and some will be for design viz.

For the Niad\Bifrost concern, Bifrost is being developed as an engine with Maya as the first customer. We aren’t disclosing many details at the moment, but it’s being designed to be agnostic to any one specific tool.

I hope that clarifies a few things for everyone.
Frank DeLise

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 25 Jul 2013, 12:06

Bellsey, did you read anywhere the word "softimage"?

can we assume is the some for softimage? Why not one, from SI team said nothing about?