Houdini Engine

News concerning 3D DCC business
gustavoeb

Houdini Engine

Post by gustavoeb » 11 Jul 2013, 18:44

SideFX has created an API to enable the use of Houdini assets in other DCC apps.
http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/07/side-e ... ni-engine/

Quite interesting
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

oz42

Re: Houdini Engine

Post by oz42 » 11 Jul 2013, 23:42

This is absolutely amazing! Effectively you have Houdini procedurally driven assets within other applications! You could create similar effects to those shown in the video in ICE but having Houdini share it's technology between different applications is great! Interesting times...

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 12 Jul 2013, 01:32

Once more we see Autodesk incapable of leveraging the tools they have. A good example is Softimage, it should be the Autodesk competitor to Houdini.
It seems there are no brains, no ideas, no vision, in that place. Only bureaucrats.

nixx

Post by nixx » 12 Jul 2013, 03:01

Bullit wrote:[...] Softimage, it should be the Autodesk competitor to Houdini.[...]
Not to mention the only competitor to Houdini.
I 'm child, and man, and child again; the boy never gets older.

my Vimeo

luceric

Post by luceric » 12 Jul 2013, 04:01

None of this is possible with Softimage ICE, because ICE is bolted onto the Softimage architecture, and that architecture is a huge 300 DLL monster with every inch dependent on Microsoft APIs and impossible to port to other apps or other platforms. Basically ICE was due for a re-write the day it was created, as was the rest of Softimage. It's fine if you don't mine running stuff only inside Softimage itself, though. But you could never see your softimage asset in Unity or Maya.

AlexanderM

Post by AlexanderM » 12 Jul 2013, 04:39

All best brains are concentrated in Side Effects, but their stuff don't cease to surprise us. And at Softimage most likely the "re-write" era already ended long ago.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 12 Jul 2013, 12:57

don't want to be negative, but... how really are powerful these Houdini solvers, alone ? Afaik, it's always been story, like, 'not really fast, but flexible'. Even on their forums, not hard to find statements like 'Real Flow is mush faster, but Houdini is flexible', or, 'when it comes to speed go for FumeFX, Houdini Pyro is for flexibility' - and so on. Where nobody cares to define that flexibility, in a understandable way to ordinary user.

Now, they are offering something close to ICE private compound, effectively killing the main advantage, going with only 'not so fast' solvers, directly into street life. Ok not directly, Mayans always had that high-end fanboyism, being happy to eat everything supplied by big houses. But, if they will be enough arrogant to go into Max market with this, well it will be really intersecting to watch the forums. 'does this Houdini tree generator comes with applied V-Ray materials', 'preset library is poor', 'why this is x time slower than existing tree generators'...

In my small conspiracy theory, probably they invested a lot into simulation engines, but they did not get enough in return, so there is (yet another) desperate trial to minimize the damage. Orbolt thing, one year after, seems to be disaster, there's almost the same number of assets as on day one. They already sold a cheap version, overcomplicated and generally unusable for many users, leaving only a bad memory for a long time.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Jul 2013, 13:47

This reeks of "Houdini. The perfect companion to Maya". :))
Well they're allowed to take the slogan free of charge, we're not using it any more...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric

Post by luceric » 12 Jul 2013, 13:49

In my small conspiracy theory, probably they invested a lot into simulation engines, but they did not get enough in return, so there is (yet another) desperate trial to minimize the damage. Orbolt thing, one year after, seems to be disaster, there's almost the same number of assets as on day one. They already sold a cheap version, overcomplicated and generally unusable for many users, leaving only a bad memory for a long time.
as far as I can tell, they are doing this because a couple of big studios are hosting houdidi effects in Maya already. somebody else was probably already doing it in unity as well. in other words, they are formalizing something that clients may have paid them consulting money to do. that's how everything happens at sidefx. it doesn't have to be about going for any new market to find money, they are not that aggressive or "desperate" (your words).

as for Orbolt, everyone using houdini seriously is doing one offs for a production, so who would be making assets to share. not a lot.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 12 Jul 2013, 14:26

luceric wrote:
as far as I can tell, they are doing this because a couple of big studios are hosting houdidi effects in Maya already. somebody else was probably already doing it in unity as well. in other words, they are formalizing something that clients may have paid them consulting money to do. that's how everything happens at sidefx. it doesn't have to be about going for any new market to find money, they are not that aggressive or "desperate" (your words).

as for Orbolt, everyone using houdini seriously is doing one offs for a production, so who would be making assets to share. not a lot.
Thank you kindly for answer. Yeah I've exaggerated a bit. Anyway, people on Modo forums seems to be very happy (even there is no word about Modo in entire story). Somehow this happiness reminds me to early days of ICE - someone will make compound, bringing all miracles of of proceduralism in just few sliders. I think even word 'game changer' is running around. Orbolt as some kind of shop, seems to be mentioned in official advertising, If I'm correct.

kcs_zoocsi

Post by kcs_zoocsi » 15 Jul 2013, 09:49

Houdini Engine Plug-in Poll
" What application would you like to see a Houdini Engine Plug-in for? " VOTE
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option= ... ic&t=29122

luceric

Post by luceric » 15 Jul 2013, 13:48

just curious: if youre going to vote for XSI, do you actually own houdini license, or have the means to purchase a license? cuz its kind of meaningless if you dont. (especially true for all the modo students)

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 15 Jul 2013, 14:21

luceric wrote:just curious: if youre going to vote for XSI, do you actually own houdini license, or have the means to purchase a license? cuz its kind of meaningless if you dont. (especially true for all the modo students)
Why? It would be sufficient if the one who is providing the data for you has a houdini license, wouldn't it?
I'm now part of an endangered species...

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 15 Jul 2013, 14:36

luceric wrote:just curious: if youre going to vote for XSI, do you actually own houdini license, or have the means to purchase a license? cuz its kind of meaningless if you dont. (especially true for all the modo students)
...I don´t get that logic. Do I have to own every renderer that is NOT out for XSI? Do I have to own every plugin that is NOT out for XSI? Just to decide, if it would make sense to have at least the OPTION to use it together with XSI? 8-}

luceric

Post by luceric » 15 Jul 2013, 14:40

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:
Why? It would be sufficient if the one who is providing the data for you has a houdini license, wouldn't it?
you tell me! I don't see anyone from sidefx saying that the plug-in runs without licenses! In fact the only licensing-related comment in the announcement is "The Houdini Engine API is available today as an enterprise solution for film and game studios looking to bring Houdini into their pipeline"
which doesn't sound good for you if you're an individual. (see: Arnold)
Last edited by luceric on 15 Jul 2013, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 15 Jul 2013, 14:43

From 'my prediction of future' :), on side of "another app" user, there will be license for HE plugin first, then it will possible to utilize the particular asset - particular asset is purchased separately.
Author of asset, most likely, has to have Houdini license, most likely some higher version, maybe something more than that.