Adobe jump in the cloud

News concerning 3D DCC business
Nizar

Adobe jump in the cloud

Post by Nizar » 07 May 2013, 14:27

Pancho

Re: Adobe jump in the cloud

Post by Pancho » 07 May 2013, 16:06

That sucks big time. I guess a lot of people who bought software legally will consider to get it from somewhere else in the future to avoid this kind of legal racketeering. Hopefully this will bring up some alternatives on the market while the big corporations get übergreedy.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 07 May 2013, 17:19

+1 Pancho

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 07 May 2013, 17:21

I have Photoshop CS3, don't need new release, so this cage by Adobe don't touch me.

IMO Maxon will follow his Adobe partner into cloud strategy.

Actually I received an email from ADSK about fluid-dynamic, CAE and big advantage in cloud solution.

Hope Blender will perform very well next year...

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 07 May 2013, 17:56

The point is Adobe and all the major financial players will add functions that will be needed sooner or later. Like cloud computing sims, like you mentioned. Some shi..y feature that will make loads of users wanting to jump on the train. The Pied Piper of Hamelin in form of Autodesk, Maxxon, Adobe, etc.

Of course there are those who just see the chances and interesting possibilities. Progress is never stopping, but the current pace isn't compatible with the needs and abilities of a generation, until you want to get lost in the virtual realms of the computer world. The wheel has come a long way and people did get used to it. Computer technology currently outruns the performance of its users. At least that's who it feels!

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 07 May 2013, 23:55

I really hope Autodesk don't follow Adobe and introduce forced monthly payments!

The worst part of Adobes model is that once you stop paying, you can no longer open your projects....that to me is just unacceptable. I was thinking of upgrading my Adobe suite this year, but following this announcement I am just going to keep on using version 5.5!

I will do the same if Autodesk introduce a policy like this. I'll just stick with the last 'perpetual license'.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 08 May 2013, 02:02

azurecgi wrote:I really hope Autodesk don't follow Adobe and introduce forced monthly payments!

The worst part of Adobes model is that once you stop paying, you can no longer open your projects....that to me is just unacceptable. I was thinking of upgrading my Adobe suite this year, but following this announcement I am just going to keep on using version 5.5!

I will do the same if Autodesk introduce a policy like this. I'll just stick with the last 'perpetual license'.
They already stated they will, sooner or later. Probably sooner.

Falam

Post by Falam » 08 May 2013, 02:22

If I recall Adobe mentioned months ago they wouldn't do this. They changed their mind. I won't be upgrading to Photoshop, I'm sticking with my current version it seems for a long time to come.

Corporate greed is going to kill us all, because we are too passive.

luceric

Post by luceric » 08 May 2013, 02:38

right now Adobe says they'll continue to sell CS6 "indefinitely" for those not going the subscription way.

mihaiNL

Post by mihaiNL » 08 May 2013, 03:17

While at the very least it feels...uncomfortable the number of companies and applications Autodesk and Adobe have swallowed up in recent time, I wonder if this move is really such a bad thing. I don't see how this makes such a huge change for you as a professional in terms of running costs, while for a software company (big or small), this makes sense.

Their advantages

- a much more stable, steady stream of income can allow for better and more efficient development, not to mention improve the sanity of project leaders who always feel the stress of adding new features to make people upgrade. And then the other half complains they are idiots for not spending time instead on fixing existing bugs, which are much more important than new features they have no interest in.

- possibly less pirating from professional users and studios.

Your advantages:

- for $50/month you actually get access to a whole lot of software and tools, including Typekit etc. Some of them you'll use every day, others only rarely but for me it feels good to know it's just there if I want it.
- all the collaboration/sharing features of projects and files could actually be a very efficient thing if it works properly, plus working on documents from all your devices can prove useful many times
- you can store personal settings in the cloud, have them available on every location/studio you go to, or at least know that if you smash your computer, you can be up and running as soon as you've downloaded the apps again.

These are professional tools for professional users, I don't see how a $50/month expense which gives you access to what, 30+ apps and tools, is such a disaster for your business.

If not, then go on and take courses in advanced math, C++, Python, NET, the delightful intricacies of multithreaded and GPU programming, read a LOT, experiment, start a software company, answer emails, try not to get too upset with people who complain that in their opinion you are too greedy asking $200 for the software you spent 3 years to create while they would pay that without protest for a pair of pants made of 10$ worth of material (which won't actually make them any money, even if it does make their butt look smaller), answer more emails, answer even more emails, build webpage to market it, answer emails, go to trade shows to market it, answer emails....

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 08 May 2013, 04:57

You talked a lot just to say "if you don't like it, don't buy it and perhaps do it yourself". We all know this so your post is... well I'm in a good mood now so I'll just stop.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

mihaiNL

Post by mihaiNL » 08 May 2013, 05:21

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 08 May 2013, 05:44

:))
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 08 May 2013, 06:32

Things to keep looking in meantime:

http://krita.org/

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 08 May 2013, 08:39

mihaiNL wrote:These are professional tools for professional users, I don't see how a $50/month expense which gives you access to what, 30+ apps and tools, is such a disaster for your business.

If not, then go on and take courses in advanced math, C++, Python, NET, the delightful intricacies of multithreaded and GPU programming, read a LOT, experiment, start a software company, answer emails, try not to get too upset with people who complain that in their opinion you are too greedy asking $200 for the software you spent 3 years to create while they would pay that without protest for a pair of pants made of 10$ worth of material (which won't actually make them any money, even if it does make their butt look smaller), answer more emails, answer even more emails, build webpage to market it, answer emails, go to trade shows to market it, answer emails....
The problem with this for a business it takes away choice!

For example, 3 years ago I chose to stop using Lightwave and start using Softimage, but I left the last version of LW I purchased on my workstation as, even now, I still get requests from a longstanding client to tweak and re-render animations that I created for them using Lightwave.

With the 'monthly leasing' plan I would be having to pay Newtek £xx/month for a piece of software that I rarely ever fire up! I'm sure my client wouldn't appreciate me passing this cost on, because I chose to start using different 3D software.

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 08 May 2013, 09:01

Their advantages
- a much more stable, steady stream of income can allow for better and more efficient development,
Not sure about that part really.. it is more for showing graph going upwards in ever growing profit gain really.
When 1st priority in business is to ever keep expanding in world that is really limited with number of people that are customers,
they need new methods for increasing profit and that is all it is really.
Sooner or later all that will collapse as you can't keep growing all the time in limited world :)