Autodesk, Pixar and Open Subdivs

News concerning 3D DCC business
Bellsey

Autodesk, Pixar and Open Subdivs

Post by Bellsey » 21 Apr 2013, 17:50

Next Tuesday, the 16th, yours truly will be hosting a webinar with special guests, Bill Polson, Dirk Van Gelder, Manuel Kraemer, Takahito Tejima, David G. Yu and Dale Ruffolo, from Pixar Animation Studios’ GPU team, to show how Autodesk and Pixar are working together to build technology with stunning real-time results and how real time display of subdivision surfaces helps artists be more productive, and how this code is open source and engineered for ease of integration.

OpenSubdiv is a set of open source libraries that implement high-performance subdivision surface (subdiv) evaluation on massively parallel CPU and GPU architectures. The code embodies decades of research and experience by Pixar.

Here's a link to the webinar: Join Pixar Animation Studios, to learn about the OpenSubdiv Project

The webinar page has different links depending on what general time zone you're in, so be sure to choose the right one.

Webinar will be in English only.

EricTRocks

Re: Autodesk, Pixar and Open Subdivs

Post by EricTRocks » 21 Apr 2013, 20:54

Will there be any talk about integrating it to Softimage at all?
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

fabilabo

Post by fabilabo » 22 Apr 2013, 09:52

Nice, and it will be integrated in maya only i guess, like alembic etc.
I wonder why you post that in SI forum :))

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 22 Apr 2013, 11:46

The purpose of the webinar is to highlight the technology, how it came about and how Pixar use it. We won't be focusing on a particular software package, roadmaps and proposed implementation.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 22 Apr 2013, 14:07

fabilabo's question still stands.
Why did you post this here, it's because it Autodesk related? This is a Softimage forum, not an Autodesk forum.
Don't misunderstand me, people can post whatever they want and I'm not here to shove my fist into anyone's mouth but in the light of the what I've said above, this should have been posted in the "Open Discussion" section in my opinion, as it is a general information related to CG not necessarily (most likely not at all) related to Softimage.
Just voicing an opinion, not trying to moderate this forum as I'm obviously not part of si-community staff.

Edit:
I look below this thread and all the other threads seem Softimage related. For as long as I've been member of this forum I thought this section is for Softimage related news. Might be wrong though and if that's the case, then never mind.
Last edited by McNistor on 22 Apr 2013, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 22 Apr 2013, 14:11

Next Tuesday, the 16th
Tuesday 23 April. Interesting subject, I have been looking at the possibility of Open Subdivs in Softimage for a while now, I will certainly be watching the Webinar.

https://github.com/PixarAnimationStudios/OpenSubdiv

Thanks for the info, Bellsey.

Dan
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 22 Apr 2013, 14:42

Sorry my mistake on the date, it is tomorrow.

Regarding the topic, perhaps I used the wrong section, or maybe I thought that the subject might of been of some interest to some people?
Then again, maybe not. So if anything cool comes up, I won't bother posting. lol

Jeez, you're a tough crowd. :)

Fer

Post by Fer » 22 Apr 2013, 15:54

We kinda rubbed the wrong way by you Autodesk, so we take this sort of news here like a taunt.

rray

Post by rray » 22 Apr 2013, 15:59

Thanks for posting, cool tech.

I guess I'll move this to the news board then due to popular demand :-s
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 Apr 2013, 16:17

I have to defend Bellsey here. It was/is a valid topic to post here, even if it would seem awfully Maya-centric at first glance.

@Bellsey - you might want to mention/stress the more general nature of such topics (or even warn us of truly Maya-centric ones) in your original post to prevent our "tough crowd" from "eating you alive" quite so fiercely.

We have handled several non-Softimage threads before, that shouldn't be the problem...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 22 Apr 2013, 16:49

no problem, though I've read the webinar description several times and I can't find the word Maya anywhere.
Pixar do use Maya (no big secret), but frankly that is besides the point.

fabilabo

Post by fabilabo » 22 Apr 2013, 17:00

Sorry, i was just kidding, but when i see all these hype techs that are never integrated in SI and how things don't have moved since 4 years, i feeling sad, BUT, i'm pretty sure maya will get it in first

NNois

Post by NNois » 22 Apr 2013, 17:42

guys, this is not really a joy to read this forum with over and over flaming comments over the only 2 or 3 autodesk people who kindly post here

origin

Post by origin » 22 Apr 2013, 18:01

This tech is cool because
a) its open
b) its fast
But If you want to make it usable, speak with Foundry (Mari) /other vendors. This subdivs must be implemented across all softwares otherwise it's useless.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 23 Apr 2013, 00:30

Just to add something. Playing with derivatives of Pixar Renderman for some time, actually since one guy brought BMRT renderer to POV-Ray mail list, more than ten years ago, I never ever had impression that Pixar people ( or "related") wants their technology to be "Maya centric" or whatever like. It always looked reverse, it seems only Maya had enough dedicated users, able to keep alive the some public available version. There were few trials to bring the renderer to Max, like animal Logic MaxMan, or "our" XSI Man - remember the long thread on XSI Base. But not enough people to support.
After all Open Subdivs thing is open source, isn't it.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 23 Apr 2013, 13:24

If you have registered for the EMEA webinar and you aren't already in the webinar room, then I'd suggest you enter asap. We're approaching 30mins to go and we're at 100+ attendees.