Autodesk, Pixar and Open Subdivs

News concerning 3D DCC business
Bellsey

Re: Autodesk, Pixar and Open Subdivs

Post by Bellsey » 24 Apr 2013, 10:21

for anyone who missed this webinar, here's the video we made with Pixar showing Open Subdivs:

Pixar Animation Studios, The OpenSubdiv Project

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 24 Apr 2013, 10:44

Bellsey wrote:for anyone who missed this webinar, here's the video we made with Pixar showing Open Subdivs:

Pixar Animation Studios, The OpenSubdiv Project
Thanks.

fabilabo

Post by fabilabo » 24 Apr 2013, 11:25

look very nice ! oh, maya inegration ! :))

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 24 Apr 2013, 12:06

ok, lets get this out in the open before people explode, lol.
Simple fact is that Pixar (and Disney) use Maya (and Mudbox) for alot of their stuff, so that's why Maya is being shown. However it should be pointed out that in the live Q&A yesterday the guys said that the Subdivs project at Pixar has been going for some time, as far back as Toy Story 2 (and maybe 1). It was clear to them with some of their asset complexity that it was something worth looking into going forward and now pretty much everything they do uses this stuff.

They also said that they have been talking with other hardware/software vendors, such as Sony, Microsoft, Unity, Nvidia, etc, about how to implement this technology. And having the technology available on GitHub with a community contributing can only be good in driving this tech forward.

At present, even though we have subdivs in our products(soft has Catmull-Clark ruling for subdividing). Many people will (obviously) want to know when this specific Pixar tech will be fully available in Autodesk products, but for reasons previously stated I can't comment on future products and features.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 24 Apr 2013, 12:50

Bellsey wrote:but for reasons previously stated I can't comment on future products and features.
Shucks, Autodesk, you're such a tease... :ymdaydream:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 24 Apr 2013, 13:17

and back in the day when Softimage was competitive with Maya then it would have been put in by now, no questions asked....

this is what pi**es us off with Autodesk, you muppet. there is no competition. explode. lol. like we have no reason to and are acting completely irrationally...
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

rray

Post by rray » 24 Apr 2013, 13:32

Let's not do the name calling thing here please.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 24 Apr 2013, 13:55

ok, fair enough rray, shall adhere to the rules and keep it less personal. especially with the insults. am just wondering where to begin and what words would more adequately describe a creature that makes incendiary accusations which is also manipulated by someone elses hand up their ar*e..?... ok will stop.

no offense to Bellsely intended, (and am sure he can take this on the chin) its just how I feel about the special relationship regarding incorporating new technologies that Maya has with Autodesk , which softimage used to have before it was purchased but clearly has no chance of having ever again. it still hurts ok?

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 24 Apr 2013, 15:20

I think its very hard to really say what could/should of been. Whose to say if Softimage (as it was) would of implemented something like this and done it well. Pre-Autodesk alot of stuff was done, some good but also some not so good and alot of feedback we get is to essentially finish/fix stuff.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 24 Apr 2013, 15:26

Bellsey wrote:I think its very hard to really say what could/should of been. Whose to say if Softimage (as it was) would of implemented something like this and done it well. Pre-Autodesk alot of stuff was done, some good but also some not so good and alot of feedback we get is to essentially finish/fix stuff.
I'm to say... :)
We have to be intellectually honest here and acknowledge that more things were done right than not. It is part of why we love XSI so much - because of its things done right.
Thus, considering this precedent, one can only conclude that the chances of having OpenSubdiv. implemented fast and well in those days would have been rather big.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 24 Apr 2013, 15:29

Hindsight is wonderful thing :)

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 24 Apr 2013, 15:46

Bellsey wrote:Hindsight is wonderful thing :)
Pure hindsight yes. Hindsight bias not so much. I hope you're not insinuating I'm suffering of hindsight bias, because that would be untrue. My "past future" prediction is based on a close look around what was happening those days.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

luceric

Post by luceric » 24 Apr 2013, 15:46

to be fair, opensubdiv is not yet even available in maya, where it is being developed, so technically it would not have been in XSI either at this point. I didn't watch the webinar, I don't know if they have reached their 1.0 release as planned. Even though the announced this last Siggraph, the v1 was only panned for January 2013

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 24 Apr 2013, 16:13

the current build available is a Release Candidate for 2013.

origin

Post by origin » 24 Apr 2013, 16:48

Wow pixar showing their inhouse software for the first time (?)!

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 24 Apr 2013, 16:50

also, to be fair, its pretty accurate to say (ok, guess or assume) that entire Industry benefiting new technology stuff like OpenSubdiv, is NOT being actively developed in or considered for Softimage. when, if it was truly competitive it should be and it certainly used to be.

so please, don't act all innocent or surprised when some of us get annoyed over issues like this, nor is it acceptable to imply that some of us are over-zealous etc, its insulting.