Guillaume LaForge has joined Fabric Engine

News concerning 3D DCC business
FabricPaul

Guillaume LaForge has joined Fabric Engine

Post by FabricPaul » 03 Sep 2012, 17:13

Hi everyone - thought you'd like to hear that Guillaume agreed to join our team at Fabric Engine. We're delighted that he chose to join us, as it was obvious he had a lot of opportunities in Montreal. We're really looking forward to seeing what he adds to the team, and it's great to add his production expertise alongside Helge.

I know it's not really big industry news, but I figured the Softies would like to know where he ended up :)

Thanks,

Paul

SreckoM

Re: Guillaume LaForge has joined Fabric Engine

Post by SreckoM » 03 Sep 2012, 17:14

Well definitely my new favorite app :D, congrats!!!
- H -

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 03 Sep 2012, 17:27

so am wondering are there now more ex softies working at Fabric than actually left at Autodesk ? certainly true for those that are still working on Softimage. there is Manny left and Graham Fuller? or Brent? not sure who is left from original team on Softimage actually.

Although Im taking this as a definite good news, boy do us Softies need it, but I do wish Fabric engine had some kind of non programming ICE like front end so us non coders that code (with ICE) can join in too. some kind of Nanode kind of thing ;)

Also don't you guys at Fabric need to get some fabulous animation GUI designer on board to start building the crazy new app that will blow MayaFX out of the water and sink the dreary old capitalist battleship Autodesk M&E? Ive got a Softimage subscription fee going spare that Autodesk doesn't appear to want or deserve ;;)
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

gfxman

Post by gfxman » 03 Sep 2012, 17:36

Good News for him. Maybe you're going to build a new "modo-like" softimage for all of us ? :D
Just kiddin... or maybe not... :D

FabricPaul

Post by FabricPaul » 03 Sep 2012, 17:45

Tekano wrote:so am wondering are there now more ex softies working at Fabric than actually left at Autodesk ? certainly true for those that are still working on Softimage. there is Manny left and Graham Fuller? or Brent? not sure who is left from original team on Softimage actually.

Although Im taking this as a definite good news, boy do us Softies need it, but I do wish Fabric engine had some kind of non programming ICE like front end so us non coders that code (with ICE) can join in too. some kind of Nanode kind of thing ;)

Also don't you guys at Fabric need to get some fabulous animation GUI designer on board to start building the crazy new app that will blow MayaFX out of the water and sink the dreary old capitalist battleship Autodesk M&E? Ive got a Softimage subscription fee going spare that Autodesk doesn't appear to want or deserve ;;)
Well, we only have 6 engineers, but 5 of them did work on XSI/ICE :)

Visual programming is on the agenda - but as stated before, there are many scenarios when it isn't as flexible/easy as writing python/KL. We decided to build out the platform's capabilities first, which has gone pretty well - we're very happy with overall performance now.

Nanode is very cool - when we saw Guillaume was available, I have to say I was amazed. Anyway - very much to our benefit.

FabricPaul

Post by FabricPaul » 03 Sep 2012, 17:49

gfxman wrote:Good News for him. Maybe you're going to build a new "modo-like" softimage for all of us ? :D
Just kiddin... or maybe not... :D
We're building our own thing :) Welcome to join the beta, even if it's just to check out the demos.

3DTutorial

Post by 3DTutorial » 03 Sep 2012, 18:43

Great news all around... Fabric Engine rocks (and so does its team!).

Cheers,

Joe
Certified Softimage Instructor & Old Timer
Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/JoeSaltzman

Yanik

Post by Yanik » 03 Sep 2012, 19:34

Congrats Guillaume.

@FabricPaul: I want to try it out, just because I'm curious, but I'm worried if there's some quality checking procedure that filters out small worthless individuals like me.
Is the private beta open to students or nobodies like me?

FabricPaul

Post by FabricPaul » 03 Sep 2012, 20:11

We're not fussy, we'll let anyone in ;)

Seriously though - we're very close to moving to paid beta (rather than releasing immediately, we want to make sure we can handhold as needed), so it's a good time for people just to come and tell us what they think. We'll be offering non-commercial license options, so don't worry about that either.

Just email beta@fabricengine.com

Thank,

Paul

Yanik

Post by Yanik » 03 Sep 2012, 20:48

Thanks FabricPaul! You guys are awesome.

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 03 Sep 2012, 21:44

FabricPaul wrote: rather than releasing immediately, we want to make sure we can handhold as needed
That's a good idea.

Congrats to Guillaume & The Fabric Engine Team.

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 03 Sep 2012, 21:48

Great news, needless to say, my expectations are thru the roof. Having the guys that wrote ICE being able to work without any corporate restrictions is definitely promising to say the least.

You guys got KL running on the GPU, so give us a GPU accelerated ICE environment and change the world.

Memag

Post by Memag » 04 Sep 2012, 12:06

Go Fabric Engine!

eternal art

Post by eternal art » 04 Sep 2012, 17:17

Congratulation "Guillaume" wish you the best .
3D Supervisor - Production House .

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 04 Sep 2012, 18:12

That's grand news! Like predicted, a smarter company has picked him up and now gets to laugh at AD for their stupidity.

Fabric Engine is looking pretty bright!!!

Really looking forward to what comes...

My dream would be a replacement for SI built with Fabric Engine (and whatever else is necessary) and similar enough it wouldn't take years to re-learn. And NOT tied to AD in any way.