exit Stephen Blair?

News concerning 3D DCC business
eternal art

Re: exit Stephen Blair?

Post by eternal art » 01 Sep 2012, 10:42

This is another big mistake from autodesk .
3D Supervisor - Production House .

mixepix

Post by mixepix » 01 Sep 2012, 11:17

You guys have been great for the SI community! I've always thought that the transition to Autodesk wasn't that big of a deal but I'm starting to realize that I was wrong. :(
----------------------------------------
http://vimeo.com/mikaelpettersen

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 01 Sep 2012, 13:02

eternal art wrote:This is another big mistake from autodesk .
Actually it isn´t (from their point of view of course) . It all fits in the image.

It´s obvious where Autodesk is going. They never made a big profit in the M&E sector, so selling 3d Apps is not the future - selling Services is.
The whole cloud thing has only one purpose: to make people pay on a regular basis for services of all kind. It´s like cellphones - you buy the service and get the phone for free. It already has started with 123d.
You´ll find yourself in a near future paying on a monthly basis for the use of autodesktools of all kinds, I predict they will even try to get their share of the profit you make with their tools per project.

And guess what: you don´t need very innovative selfthinking, creative peolpe for that. You need people who are thankful you give them a job, which makes them a lot more controllable, so don´t need to discuss your decisions very much. And you need a lot less people.
So slowly but surely you get rid of the old staff in different ways (putting them on new projects is another way to detach them).
Clearing the market of potential alternatives is another part of the strategy. Luxology just haven´t been bought (yet) because they are no thread, also sidefx is still to much a niche product to be a competitor to the "autodesk-tools".

I wouldn´t be suprised if isotropix already received the offer from autodesk.

This has nothing to do with conspiracy at all, it´s just a logical consequence of the developement of our industry we have seen the last few years (or decades if you will).

Best thing to do would be gathering all of the "old" staff and start something new, but i think that pioneer spirit of the old days has long gone.

As stupid as it still sounds: Go for blender.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Zybrand

Post by Zybrand » 01 Sep 2012, 13:18

This is very sad news indeed :(

I can't believe that anyone would want to let Stephen and Guillaume. I learned some much for your blogs and comments on the community, thank you!

milanvasek

Post by milanvasek » 01 Sep 2012, 14:03

good luck to you both! you've done a lot for softimage and its community and it was because of you (and some others) that i always felt good to be on softimage side...

shame on autodesk
Milan Vasek
ceramic artist & softimage fan
http://www.milanvasek.com

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 01 Sep 2012, 15:19

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 01 Sep 2012, 15:58

:-j

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 01 Sep 2012, 18:11

To be more aggressive:)

I don't know why video didn't show up here is the link: http://youtu.be/qttug7RLA78

Moderator edit - only use the video ID, in this case qttug7RLA7 between the youtube tags - HB
Last edited by gaboraa on 01 Sep 2012, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 01 Sep 2012, 18:29

I would say more melodramatic :)

talent103

Post by talent103 » 01 Sep 2012, 18:40

WTF??!!! If I had known this last week I never would have renewed my subscription. I feel cheated. DOnt have to be a rocket scientist to see which way he wiond is blowing. But as Selina Kyle said. I'm adaptable.

Moderator edit - I split the following "side-thread" into its own thread - HB

Yanik

Post by Yanik » 02 Sep 2012, 14:44

Really sad news. I wish you the best of luck and thanks for all the work you've done. For newcomers like me your blog is invaluable.

druitre

Post by druitre » 02 Sep 2012, 18:05

Sigh. Shit. Autodesk. Good luck guys, thanks for the good work you've been putting into SI.

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 02 Sep 2012, 21:02

Bellsey wrote:ok, so before people start finger pointing and/or accusing Autodesk of singling out/repressing Softimage, I would like to point that, that the recent layoffs have affected many locations, divisions, and departments. No one in particular seems to have been singled out. Now, whether you believe me or not, then that's your prerogative, but that's how it is.

For the record, I didn’t like this news (including about other people) any more than anyone else.

G
Your AutoSupport of Autodesk was a little annoying before but with this I am actually starting to not like you...

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 02 Sep 2012, 21:26

pluMmet wrote:
Bellsey wrote:ok, so before people start finger pointing and/or accusing Autodesk of singling out/repressing Softimage, I would like to point that, that the recent layoffs have affected many locations, divisions, and departments. No one in particular seems to have been singled out. Now, whether you believe me or not, then that's your prerogative, but that's how it is.

For the record, I didn’t like this news (including about other people) any more than anyone else.

G
Your AutoSupport of Autodesk was a little annoying before but with this I am actually starting to not like you...
I'm sorry you feel that way, though am not sure what the problem is with what I put above, it's the truth.

PM me if you wish.

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 02 Sep 2012, 22:23

The problem is that in trying to manage peoples anger is belittling. Especially when people are right to be angry.

This is a very appropriate time to express derision and you are trying to mitigate it.

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 02 Sep 2012, 22:41

I wish someone like pixologic or adobe would buy softimage .With all the movements going on in the past year it looks like maya is going to be illuminati-desks über app and soft is kicked to the kerb. If autodesk hadn't bought soft then I think the 3d community would have kicked maya to the kerb...shame real shame.