exit Stephen Blair?

News concerning 3D DCC business
gaboraa

Re: exit Stephen Blair?

Post by gaboraa » 31 Aug 2012, 15:34

Wow sad news indeed, good luck Stephen and Guillaume!

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 31 Aug 2012, 15:35

Someone had to make the "decision" regarding who stays and who leaves... in this particular case the decisions being made in respect to Softimage are clearly very misguided... in my opinion of course.
Precisely. Mr.Blair was the best with client relations and users. So it is a big shot in feet of Softimage and Autodesk, if they care to have profit from Softimage...

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 31 Aug 2012, 15:41

If they ever had the plot to begin with, they have definitely lost it now.

Sickening is the right word.

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 31 Aug 2012, 16:03

Stephen Blair provided some of the best tech. support I've ever seen. I dont know how that hole will be filled. His contribution was really special because of the long release cycles, because you knew he had your back if you got stuck.

lard

Post by lard » 31 Aug 2012, 16:07

I just became a Modo user.

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 31 Aug 2012, 16:41

Sad day.

Good luck to Stephen and Guillaume and the other 7%.

Let's see if we can coax SideFX to buy Softimage from AD. They need a complement package, what a powerhouse it would be!

He, just dreaming!
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 31 Aug 2012, 16:48

Even I didn't think AD was so utterly brainless. To let Stephen and Guillaume, two of the brightest people ever in the industry go, that is just stupid beyond comprehension.

I hope AD eventually loses it's entire market share. They're off to a good start.

The best thing we could hope for is a hostile takeover by a smarter corp., fire the entire AD executive staff and operate with half a brain but that's wishful thinking I guess.

Stephen and Guillaume have an outstanding record, I'm sure a much smarter company will snap them up in an instant and laugh at AD for being so stupid.

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 31 Aug 2012, 17:01

I'd not be surprised if we will hear soon about merging them with the fabric engine team :)

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 31 Aug 2012, 20:37

What a damn shame! So sorry to read this today... Thanks for all your help over the years, Stephen. Going above and beyond what was required, your help has been invaluable. Hopefully you can quickly find employment! Best of luck!

-Dave

Kerro Perro

Post by Kerro Perro » 31 Aug 2012, 21:07

A: both of you will be sorely missed, it was you guys that made Autodesk okay to deal with and without you they are basically another faceless corp to me now...

B: I had already decided to let my sub run out, stick with my current version and transition to Blender in time and reading all the comments on the blog i think that will be the same fore a lot of people: this really is the deathnail for Softimage!

To be honest i'm pretty pissed off at AD for firing people who work their asses off while retard execs make a bundle drooling over the cloud... [-x

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 31 Aug 2012, 21:35

Both of you guys were the best on SI. Indeed, stupid beyond comprehension move from AD. I am really curious what were decision factors for this.
- H -

gfxman

Post by gfxman » 31 Aug 2012, 22:04

I thought he was just kidding, Guillaume, or not?

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 01 Sep 2012, 00:27

Same feelings as everyone else. Makes me really question my subscription renewal. Stephen and Guillame will be successful anywhere they go I'm sure of it.

What a stupid f'ing move!
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 01 Sep 2012, 01:37

Dear Stephen and Guillaume

I know this is a distressing time for you both, but a company that either ignores or undervalues you is one that is not worth commenting on. Conversely from the comments here it very clear that by users you'll both be missed, rightfully and deservedly so.

But I have supreme confidence shown by both your abilities and skills, that a better future awaits.

I say this because:

Stephen watching you learn ice and python, and progressing from the early days of ice to the level your now at has been, simply put inspirational. Not just a technical level, but artistic too. Someone that clearly has the ability to define is own future, through his own hard work.

Guillaume since your french dog days its apparent that your skills in both C and Python development [ second only to mine :) ], are an asset that many other companies both want and require in this ever increasing technological age. I can think of many that would clearly value and respect your long term contribution.

antsjoe

Post by antsjoe » 01 Sep 2012, 01:58

To Stephen,Guillaume and the 7%, It is with sadness that I have heard this news today.

Stephen I will miss most given his awesome tech support he has provided me under subscription. His adding the blog in the last couple of years has been really helpful as a resource for installation tut's and the Friday afternoon blogs that many times added new learning from the videos.

I had not renewed subscription like others have mentioned. I think I will need to check into the upcoming changes & direction of Soft Image.

aj

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 01 Sep 2012, 08:39

This is just terrible! How do you lay off such a valuable, knowledgeable, hardworking person?

An absolute joke of a company!