3DTutorial.com - A note from Joe Saltzman

News concerning 3D DCC business
3DTutorial

3DTutorial.com - A note from Joe Saltzman

Post by 3DTutorial » 12 Sep 2009, 22:27

Hi everyone,

Joe Saltzman here, I think most of you know me. Anyway, just wanted to say a few short things about why Letterbox studios is no longer distributing my training material for XSI any longer. Firstly, I like to say that there is NO problem whatsoever between 3DTutorial.com and/or Letterbox Studios, we have had and maintain a great working relationship with each other and I expect that will continue on into the future.

So why has this stuff been pulled? Well some recent legal problems have arisen surrounding the material, things that I cant discuss due to pending litigation -- that is the main reason it had to be taken down immediately. Secondly, the material is now really, really, old. Yes, some of it is still valid, however, most of that stuff was made over a period of like 6 or 7 years now, some of it goes back to XSI v4 and well, in software years that is a long time ago. The stuff is obsolete, it has now reached end-of-life status and I am no longer able to sell it or distribute it.

Now here is the important part -- I would really appreciate it if people in the community would just let this stuff die and fade away now. For a very long time I have said it was cool for people to distribute it on their own, provided that they don't charge money for it... but now, well, I would just rather the stuff was allowed to die off.

BTW - 3DTutorial is not dead and I am in fact working on some new things now that 2010 is being rolled out... so you might want keep that in mind.

I know that a lot of my old material is still kinda valid, however, the problem is that because it was made over such a long period of time, much has changed and it can be pretty confusing for noobs. My aim is to help people learn stuff, not confuse people further, so I would really prefer that this stuff gets retired to make way for new, up-to-date titles.

Anyway, it's really about time that the old 3DTutorial.com material was allowed to die a dignified death. Please help me to move aside this old material so that I can make way for new things that I have planned.

If you've got any questions, let me know and I will try and answer them to the best of my ability.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Joe Saltzman
Director
3DTutorial.com
Certified Softimage Instructor & Old Timer
Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/JoeSaltzman

Rork

Re: 3DTutorial.com - A note from Joe Saltzman

Post by Rork » 12 Sep 2009, 22:44

Hi Joe,

It's very much appreciated to add to the post from the guys at Letterbox.

I think we all understand completely, legal stuff can be a b***h, and the need for the old material to just "fade away". It's been on Redi-Vivus for almost a year, so a lot of people benefited from the training in that period.

I think I can say we all looking forward to anything 3DTutorial will offer for Softimage 2010(+) in the future.

Me personally, I enjoyed all training created by 3DTutorial very much, and am very curious what will come up in the future.

Also, thank you - very - much for the kind offer to have Redi-Vivus host the training material for free as long as it lasted.

Rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

3DTutorial

Post by 3DTutorial » 12 Sep 2009, 22:57

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the note and for understanding why I had to do this. BTW - this legal issue has nothing to do with Autodesk or any of other authors I worked with over the years. It has something to do with technology...but that is all I can say.

Regarding the future....

Yes, I've got some cool things in the works. I can't say much about what I'm up to at the moment, but what I can tell you is this...

Any material that I produce for the community in the future will be either FREE or at a very low cost.

Any material that I produce will contain NO copy protection or other form of DRM, so it will be easy for every one to use.

So, out with the old and in with the new :-)

Cheers,

J
Follow me on Twitter

brtaylor

Post by brtaylor » 13 Sep 2009, 01:04

Hello Joe

Thanks for the info on the 3DTutorial material issue. I hope all your legal matters work out in your favor. Looking forward for future materials from 3DTutorial.

Bobby

3DTutorial

Post by 3DTutorial » 13 Sep 2009, 01:12

brtaylor wrote:Hello Joe

Thanks for the info on the 3DTutorial material issue. I hope all your legal matters work out in your favor. Looking forward for future materials from 3DTutorial.

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

Thanks!

I'm not too concerned about the legal issue, we've have reached an agreement whereby everyone is happy provided that the current material is no longer distributed, that is why we pulled it and why I'm asking people to just let this stuff die off. By doing so, it will allow 3DTutorial to move forward with our plans which in the long run will be of greater benefit to everyone.

Thanks again for your support, much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Joe
Follow me on Twitter

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 24 Sep 2009, 17:47

One thing to add, as I just noticed it:
Maybe you could get someone to remove the "3D Tutorial" advert in the XSIBase sidebar as it still keeps occassionally popping up... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

3DTutorial

Post by 3DTutorial » 24 Sep 2009, 18:10

Hirazi Blue wrote:One thing to add, as I just noticed it:
Maybe you could get someone to remove the "3D Tutorial" advert in the XSIBase sidebar as it still keeps occassionally popping up... ;)
I know.

I've been asking for those ads to be removed for ages but nothing is ever done about it :-/

Joe
Follow me on Twitter

bryitis

Post by bryitis » 24 Sep 2009, 19:11

about 80% of all the links on XSIBase are either broken, or severely out-dated. i really wish people could either fix it, or migrate over here more fully.

septopus

Post by septopus » 24 Sep 2009, 20:21

i dont know..

legal reasons sounds fishy to me....

why now,
whatever reason it is, the damage has already been done. yea?

the moment they were made public [free] they became copyleft [GNU or GNU General Public License]
they became educational resources, no one can claim them as their intellectual property anymore.
how come http://www.vast.ws/resources/xsi/tutori ... rials.html dont pull off their materials, some people bought those videos...
i think these should be made available for the xsi community. i mean, i dont see dealing like this with maya or C4D or Max resources...
this is bs, a really good thing that should have been advertised on all major 3d community forums is now getting axed... xsi material is scarce as it is, i think the community deserves a better explaination. i for one bought many stuff from you joe back in the day, [] and i volunteered a couple of my vids to letterbox...

---- what im trying to say is i dont see what the legal repercussions could be, unless an author for one of the tuts is pulling a fast on you Joe?
Last edited by septopus on 24 Sep 2009, 21:45, edited 2 times in total.

3DTutorial

Post by 3DTutorial » 24 Sep 2009, 20:41

septopus wrote:i dont know..

legal reasons sounds fishy to me....

why now,
whatever reason it is, the damage has already been done. yea?

the moment they were made public [free] they became copyleft [GNU or GNU General Public License]
they became educational resources, no one can claim them as their intellectual property anymore.
how come [url =http://www.vast.ws/resources/xsi/tutori ... rials.html]vast[/url] dont pull off their materials, some people bought those videos...
i think these should be made available for the xsi community. i mean, i dont see dealing like this with maya or C4D or Max resources...
this is bs, a really good thing that should have been advertised on all major 3d community forums is now getting axed... xsi material is scarce as it is, i think the community deserves a better explaination. i for one bought many stuff from you joe back in the day, [] and i volunteered a couple of my vids to letterbox...

---- what im trying to say is i dont see what the legal repercussions could be, unless an author for one of the tuts is pulling a fast on you Joe?

Sorry but with all due respect you are very mistaken about this.

I own all rights in all media worldwide in perpetuity to all of 3DTutorial.com's material -- free or not it makes no difference whatsoever.

I can't discuss what the current legal issues are, suffice it to say it has nothing to do with anyone who was involved with any of this material.

This stuff is done, over with and finished now -- end of story.

Again, the rights to the material remain mine and I reserve the right to take legal action against anyone who distributes my material without my written consent.

Hope that is clear.

Cheers,

Joe
Last edited by 3DTutorial on 24 Sep 2009, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter

3DTutorial

Post by 3DTutorial » 24 Sep 2009, 20:52

BTW -

Just so that no one misunderstands...

I'm not trying to be a PITA -- ok?

The thing is that I have made this stuff available at no cost for a few years now to anyone who wanted it. This material is now OLD it is obsolete and like everything else in life, nothing lasts forever. So the time has come to pull the plug on this stuff and just let it die, so that new and more current material can be produced.

I think I've been very fair about this, I've not given anyone a hard time and I've given help to the community for many, many years. So come on, cut me some slack here... I've done my best to help but this stuff has run it natural course and is now finished.

Joe
Follow me on Twitter

septopus

Post by septopus » 24 Sep 2009, 22:40

well there is no point in arguing s letter box still hosts other tuts.

but if i recall correctly, these dvds from 3d tutorial had a big announcement on the base and your blog that they were being "given" away free. no guidelines given when you gave them away; in fact the community was encouraged to share...

moving on. it was a nice [short lived] gesture :-bd

3DTutorial

Post by 3DTutorial » 24 Sep 2009, 23:03

septopus wrote:well there is no point in arguing s letter box still hosts other tuts.

but if i recall correctly, these dvds from 3d tutorial had a big announcement on the base and your blog that they were being "given" away free. no guidelines given when you gave them away; in fact the community was encouraged to share...

moving on. it was a nice [short lived] gesture :-bd
Nearly correct :-)

Letterbox only had a "temporary" right to distribute them but they had no actual rights beyond that, certainly not in the IP, nor could they assign or transfer any rights to any other party. Moreover, my agreement with Letterbox was that all original copyright notices must remain intact and that at no time could they or anyone else ever charge a fee for the material. So the upshot is that Letterbox had/has no right whatsoever in this material, other than to act as a temporary distributor for a finite period of time. No guarantees were ever made as to the length of time that this material would remain freely available.

But look, it's not a big deal really because you and I both know that ALL this material can be found via torrents and on the P2P networks, so that is the reality. I keep a close eye on the underground scene and my material turns up all the time, so if you really want to find it... it is floating around cyberspace..somewhere.

Like I said, I think I've been a pretty helpful guy. Hey remember, I'm the person who made the investment in time and money to create this material in the first place, so I think I have every right to have the final say about what happens to it. Also, for the record, I made ALL the skeleton keys available to anyone who wanted them for more than a year before Letterbox even became involved, so the gesture was in fact not that short lived :-)

Again guys, not trying to be a PITA

Joe
Follow me on Twitter

septopus

Post by septopus » 24 Sep 2009, 23:26

3DTutorial wrote: Nearly correct :-)
Letterbox only had a "temporary" right to distribute them but they had no actual rights beyond that, certainly not in the IP, nor could they assign or transfer any rights to any other party. Moreover, my agreement with Letterbox was that all original copyright notices must remain intact and that at no time could they or anyone else ever charge a fee for the material. So the upshot is that Letterbox had/has no right whatsoever in this material, other than to act as a temporary distributor for a finite period of time. No guarantees were ever made as to the length of time that this material would remain freely available.

But look, it's not a big deal really because you and I both know that ALL this material can be found via torrents and on the P2P networks, so that is the reality. I keep a close eye on the underground scene and my material turns up all the time, so if you really want to find it... it is floating around cyberspace..somewhere.

Like I said, I think I've been a pretty helpful guy. Hey remember, I'm the person who made the investment in time and money to create this material in the first place, so I think I have every right to have the final say about what happens to it. Also, for the record, I made ALL the skeleton keys available to anyone who wanted them for more than a year before Letterbox even became involved, so the gesture was in fact not that short lived :-)

Again guys, not trying to be a PITA

Joe
lol, now i feel like a total douche. on a nice-guy-scale-o-meter, i give you a 9/10. hehe

i think it would be nice to have a library like maya or max.

but hey, if this is paving the way for you to make bigger moves, go for it.

bryitis

Post by bryitis » 25 Sep 2009, 15:59

i just wanted to point out that i have nothing but respect and admiration for everyone involved in sharing this training content with the community... its really amazing what you guys did.

sometimes this world can seem like a thankless place.... here's to bunking that trend.

Thanks!

Victorcg

Post by Victorcg » 07 Oct 2009, 09:41

Thank You forall Your work!
I refresh your site in browser 5 times a day :)
Any news about the date of sharing new course?