Maya nHair - how hard to repro?

News concerning 3D DCC business
Mathaeus

Re: Maya nHair - how hard to repro?

Post by Mathaeus » 01 May 2012, 17:24

Yeah.....poor Yeti. BTW, from my understanding, patent is related to 'stepping' creation of local coordinates along strand. Functionally, something similar to 'deform by curve', or 'extrusion along curve' operators in 3d apps. Ironically, imho just this feature didn't helped that much, nicely to say.

Just for the record, *if* I'm right, no one of ICE hair systems uses this. At least, no one of public available. Exactly for kristinka Hair, this method requires 'repeat' node, which I learn to avoid in order to keep the performance. So actual method for creating local cords in kH is a 'stupid', but very reliable transfer from NURBS geo - which then introduces additional complexity.... And ICE has more than enough force to drive this.

Imho, great styling, still artist friendly, belongs to Hair Farm for Max, which is using the 'Hair Mesh', or, interpolation along mesh extrusion. Who knows, maybe this one is patented, too.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 01 May 2012, 17:32

I hear that Cinema 4D has the best hair system. Not sure if that is true or not.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 01 May 2012, 18:02

talent103 wrote:I hear that Cinema 4D has the best hair system. Not sure if that is true or not.
Yes, definitively *much* more options than XSI hair, reliable simulation.... Only one small 'I don't like' from my side, it's a 'post process' way of shading in default renderer, but I think this is intentional, to get it faster.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 01 May 2012, 18:38

Well I upgraded to the Softimage Suite last year and just installed 2013 last weekend so I will be trying out Maya's N hair and see how I like it.

ace63

Post by ace63 » 01 May 2012, 21:00

Well the good thing is we can now transfer Maya Hair to Softimage via Alembic

origin

Post by origin » 01 May 2012, 21:10

hairfarm's stuff is also patented. Maybe thats the reason these tools never got updated?http://www.ephere.com/geometry/hair/

talent103

Post by talent103 » 01 May 2012, 21:33

Yes Ace I forgot about Alembic. I will see if I can use that to import to XSI. I was actually thinking of just rendering a hair pass from Maya. However if I can keep the rendering in XSI that might be best.

jamination

Post by jamination » 01 May 2012, 21:54

ace63 wrote:Well the good thing is we can now transfer Maya Hair to Softimage via Alembic
this is great for some people, but I don't see Softimage getting another hair solution from Autodesk (as much as it may be needed) for this very reason. If they spread the strengths among all 3 packages, it encourages suite purchases, and I really hate the idea of having to learn another package in order to do something that should be included in the base package (of Softimage, that is).
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 01 May 2012, 23:07

jamination wrote:this is great for some people, but I don't see Softimage getting another hair solution from Autodesk (as much as it may be needed) for this very reason. If they spread the strengths among all 3 packages, it encourages suite purchases, and I really hate the idea of having to learn another package in order to do something that should be included in the base package (of Softimage, that is).
Hear, hear!

I knew from the day those suites came out, this can not end well for the end user. And this idea that softimage is benefiting because its being included in both suites is also a bit of a nonsense. ICE might benefit from it, but softimage as a whole... not at all. Quite the opposite. :-w

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 May 2012, 14:05

Well Autodesk needn't give us a new hair system, per se. They just should hire Joe Alter to bring his apparent black box (luceric's words, not mine) somewhat and somehow up to date, if Joe can find the time between court cases, that is...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric

Post by luceric » 02 May 2012, 15:33

that post said the exact opposite of trying to fix or update the built-in hair.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 May 2012, 16:13

Sure, but I mentioned the post for the sole reason you called XSI Hair a "black box" there.
And that's exactly why I linked to it...
his apparent black box (luceric's words, not mine)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!