Vray for Softimage official release

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 09 Aug 2010, 01:37
Location: Tits

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by Memag » 24 Feb 2012, 15:50

azurecgi wrote: Not half as expensive though is it?

I think this whole 'small user base, so we'll charge more' approach is very short-sighted. If the software and it's add-ons are seen as expensive and not good value for money, then it will always have a 'small user base'!
No,it's not. But in the end, it's the number of licences sold that counts. Maybe it's better to contact the Chaos group.
If you think Vray for Softimage/Softimage is not good value for money why did you bought it?
Last edited by Memag on 24 Feb 2012, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

azurecgi
Posts: 168
Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 12:11

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by azurecgi » 24 Feb 2012, 15:52

I give up!

I'll just bend over, touch my toes, and take it like a man!

I've got to say though, that however much I love using Softimage, it's getting harder and harder to justify using it compared to 'the other 2'

That small user base, might just be getting a bit smaller :(

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 09 Aug 2010, 01:37
Location: Tits

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by Memag » 24 Feb 2012, 15:58

azurecgi wrote:I give up!
I'll just bend over, touch my toes, and take it like a man!
I've got to say though, that however much I love using Softimage, it's getting harder and harder to justify using it compared to 'the other 2'
That small user base, might just be getting a bit smaller :(
I always thought that new rendering solutions will attract more people to Softimage, not the other way around.

Kzin
Posts: 432
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 11:36

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by Kzin » 24 Feb 2012, 16:26

Memag wrote:
azurecgi wrote:I give up!
I'll just bend over, touch my toes, and take it like a man!
I've got to say though, that however much I love using Softimage, it's getting harder and harder to justify using it compared to 'the other 2'
That small user base, might just be getting a bit smaller :(
I always thought that new rendering solutions will attract more people to Softimage, not the other way around.
it is.
this and ice sell the software.

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 14:01
Contact:

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 24 Feb 2012, 19:15

Memag wrote:
azurecgi wrote:I know I only have 5 Batch licenses, but so does Maya.
So how do you explain Maya users getting 10 Vray Licenses?
Fact is the number of SI batch licenses is irrelevant if I want to use Vray Standalone!
I don't know.
I would go the money route as it is very important factor in business.
SI licence is cheaper than Maya's.
Softimage has significantly smaller user base, so they need to balance the income/purchased licences.
So where is the logic in making vray for softimage users less attractive than vray for maya users?
Are Softimage automaticaly considered to have less machines to render, because they can´t afford it, so vray must be cheaper for them, which means to cut licenses....

Weird thinking, that´s what I call it.

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 09 Aug 2010, 01:37
Location: Tits

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by Memag » 24 Feb 2012, 19:51

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote: So where is the logic in making vray for softimage users less attractive than vray for maya users?
Are Softimage automaticcaly considered to have less machines to render?

Weird thinking, that´s what I call it.

Achim
I think Vray for Softimage is really attractive alternative rendering solution right now. ("It´s still not available in germany, even after a few hours. Can´t wait any longer.... :(( "
If it wasn't no one would complain about their licence policy.
I don't think it's a conspiracy against SI users, but maybe you should talk to CG and ask about their pricing and licence policy.
That's the only place you could get a straight answer.

Good luck!

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 14:01
Contact:

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 24 Feb 2012, 20:24

Memag wrote:
Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote: So where is the logic in making vray for softimage users less attractive than vray for maya users?
Are Softimage automaticcaly considered to have less machines to render?

Weird thinking, that´s what I call it.

Achim
I think Vray for Softimage is really attractive alternative rendering solution right now. ("It´s still not available in germany, even after a few hours. Can´t wait any longer.... :(( "
If it wasn't no one would complain about their licence policy.
I don't think it's a conspiracy against SI users, but maybe you should talk to CG and ask about their pricing and licence policy.
That's the only place you could get a straight answer.

Good luck!
Who is talking about conspiracy? I´m not. And I don´t think it makes sense to ask CG rhetorical questions.... ;)
But let me explain:
I already own a vray license for maya and use to render on my ten machines. I don´t like maya so I was so happy vray for Si came out, and I wanted to buy it to do what I have to do with maya by now in SI. But now, If I would want to render with vray for Si on my ten machines I´d have to buy 2 licenses which is about 2000 € for me.
So from a financial point of view, I would be stupid to spend this money to do what I can already do, even if I have to do it in maya. This makes Vray for me less attractive. A lot less attractive than it was a few days ago.

Thats no contradiction to very badly wanting vray for SI. That hasn´t changed.

But what also hasn´t changed is: If you have to decide between maya and SI as a new user, maya will look still more attractive, because if you want to use vray you´ll get 10 licenses for just 100 bucks more than the si version. So this doesn´t help growing the si userbase (and getting a higher return of investment on CGs side) at all.

I´ll buy vray for si sooner or later, no-one has to convince me, but I am already a si user and so are all the others here I think.


Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 4917
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 12:15

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by Hirazi Blue » 24 Feb 2012, 20:31

I'm not sure if this will help anything, but in
this Mailing List post Vlado claims the following:
Vladimir Koylazov wrote:And you can still share batch/standalone rendering licenses between V-Ray for Maya and V-Ray for Softimage.
I'm not exactly sure what he means by that, but this seems to imply that you could keep on using your Vray for Maya batch licenses. Or am I reading this wrong?
...

jamination
Posts: 156
Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 21:58

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by jamination » 24 Feb 2012, 20:49

Do they sell rendernodes for Softimage, I don't see that anywhere?
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 14:01
Contact:

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 24 Feb 2012, 21:21

Hirazi Blue wrote:I'm not sure if this will help anything, but in
this Mailing List post Vlado claims the following:
Vladimir Koylazov wrote:And you can still share batch/standalone rendering licenses between V-Ray for Maya and V-Ray for Softimage.
I'm not exactly sure what he means by that, but this seems to imply that you could keep on using your Vray for Maya batch licenses. Or am I reading this wrong?
Wow, if that is true I reall have nothing to prevent me from buying anymore.

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 09 Aug 2010, 01:37
Location: Tits

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by Memag » 24 Feb 2012, 21:36

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote: But what also hasn´t changed is: If you have to decide between maya and SI as a new user, maya will look still more attractive, because if you want to use vray you´ll get 10 licenses for just 100 bucks more than the si version. So this doesn´t help growing the si userbase (and getting a higher return of investment on CGs side) at all.

Achim
Yes, well it depends if new users are strictly looking for a render solution (V ray) and what 3d application is more affordable in that combo situation
or if they are looking at software capabilities and what you want to do (ICE, face robot, quickExtrude, whatever).
If you do not own anything Maya + V ray would be cheaper solution , for the same amount of V ray batch licenses.
If you already own SI, it's cheaper to purchase 2 Vray licences, than Maya and one V ray licence.

You already got V ray for Maya, and apparently you can borrow batch licences for SI.
It's not so bad after all.

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 14:01
Contact:

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 24 Feb 2012, 23:03

Memag wrote: You already got V ray for Maya, and apparently you can borrow batch licences for SI.
It's not so bad after all.
For me it isn´t bad at all anyway. I was mainly refering to your assumption:
Memag wrote: "Softimage has significantly smaller user base, so they need to balance the income/purchased licences."
It seems illogical to me offer less only because the userbase is small. But lets just wait and see. I may be wrong.
Only from the bussiness point of view it doesn´t make much sense to me.

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

nourvfx
Posts: 29
Joined: 24 Feb 2012, 03:02

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by nourvfx » 25 Feb 2012, 12:15

hello my frinds.vray is very faster than mr and arnold.i test it .i render 300000hair with GI in vray and render time just 1min50sec
but in arnols render time is 3min10sec with aasumples=3 and defulit sumples is=3 adn very bad quality.
after this .i chang AAsumples from 3 to 10 and render time in arnold is 27min.and even with this quality in arnold my vray result in 1m50sec very beter than arnold.arnold have nouise point and you must have uper aa sumples. vray is faster render than 3delight and mr and arnold and max well.i tested all of this render.
we have 3 mode lighting witch mixsing to ghader in vray and we have very easy to setup lighing. vray is incridable.this is many vfx short film with vray
http://vimeo.com/12125147
http://vimeo.com/33030265

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 11:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by origin » 25 Feb 2012, 12:27

:ymdaydream:

User avatar
bottleofram
Posts: 355
Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 11:21

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by bottleofram » 25 Feb 2012, 13:59

nourvfx wrote:hello my frinds.vray is very faster than mr and arnold.i test it .i render 300000hair with GI in vray and render time just 1min50sec
but in arnols render time is 3min10sec with aasumples=3 and defulit sumples is=3 adn very bad quality.
after this .i chang AAsumples from 3 to 10 and render time in arnold is 27min.and even with this quality in arnold my vray result in 1m50sec very beter than arnold.arnold have nouise point and you must have uper aa sumples. vray is faster render than 3delight and mr and arnold and max well.i tested all of this render.
we have 3 mode lighting witch mixsing to ghader in vray and we have very easy to setup lighing. vray is incridable.this is many vfx short film with vray
http://vimeo.com/12125147
http://vimeo.com/33030265

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB
Both of those were rendered using vray4max, right? Not that i think it doesnt help make your point, but right now, the benchmarks worth looking into are the ones that put vray4soft to the test.... Even though the results shouldn't differ too much.


Cheers

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 09 Aug 2010, 01:37
Location: Tits

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by Memag » 25 Feb 2012, 14:03

:-B —( Arnold has Noise points™ you say?)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MauiBot [Bot] and 2 guests