Vray for Softimage official release

News concerning 3D DCC business
Lord Futzi Voldemort

Re: Vray for Softimage official release

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 03 Jul 2012, 00:03

Regarding the sharing of licenses between vray for SI and for Maya, discussed earlier in this thread:

You have five Batch licenses, so you can run xsibatch on at most five machines. Doesn’t matter what renderer you use.
from here: http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk ... eing-used/

So that means, if I want to use my additional vray licenses from maya with softimage, I have to buy additional xsi batch licenses?

For a lack of other words: Autodesk, are you out of your mind?
Thats how it is. If youre paying for software you´re the one who gets the kick in the butt. No more money from me for Autodesk.
Bye.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Kerro Perro

Post by Kerro Perro » 03 Jul 2012, 00:15

You can just send it off to vray standalone can't you? Don't need xsibatch for that...

It even says that in the thread you linked...

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 03 Jul 2012, 00:34

Kerro Perro wrote:You can just send it off to vray standalone can't you? Don't need xsibatch for that...

That doesn´t matter. It´s this overall ridiculous licensing policy I´m so tired of (among many other things). It´s the limitation of batch licenses, that made chaos group sell Vray for Si with only 5 Rendernodes, not some courious marketing desicion. I just can´t bare Autodesk anymore. Sorry Softimage team.

Edit: You can´t "just" export to vrscene and render. I have a scene, 160 mb, static geometry, 2500 frames. It takes about an hour to export, generating a file about 16 gig in size. This takes five times longer to load than to render. So without additional batch licenses I´m just screwed. Thank you so much Autodesk, you just blew a project for me.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Jul 2013, 20:06

Sneak peek V-Ray 3.0 (not necessarily for Softimage) presentation:
http://vray.info/news/article.asp?ID=553
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

scaron

Post by scaron » 01 Jul 2013, 21:02

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:
Kerro Perro wrote:You can just send it off to vray standalone can't you? Don't need xsibatch for that...

That doesn´t matter. It´s this overall ridiculous licensing policy I´m so tired of (among many other things). It´s the limitation of batch licenses, that made chaos group sell Vray for Si with only 5 Rendernodes, not some courious marketing desicion. I just can´t bare Autodesk anymore. Sorry Softimage team.

Edit: You can´t "just" export to vrscene and render. I have a scene, 160 mb, static geometry, 2500 frames. It takes about an hour to export, generating a file about 16 gig in size. This takes five times longer to load than to render. So without additional batch licenses I´m just screwed. Thank you so much Autodesk, you just blew a project for me.
i am not sure of your issue entirely but we use the -processing flag so we only use the renderer license (arnold in our case)

http://xsisupport.com/2013/04/23/unlimited-batch-rendering-with-xsibatch-processing/

this sounds like an issue with the way chaos group chose to package and sell its product. we buy standalone licenses, not plugin licenses... this makes our licenses very valuable and usable across applications. again... this sounds like a chaos group issue.

there are plenty of things to complain about when it comes to autodesk and softimage... but this isn't one of them.

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 02 Jul 2013, 21:29

scaron wrote:
Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:

i am not sure of your issue entirely but we use the -processing flag so we only use the renderer license (arnold in our case)

http://xsisupport.com/2013/04/23/unlimited-batch-rendering-with-xsibatch-processing/

this sounds like an issue with the way chaos group chose to package and sell its product. we buy standalone licenses, not plugin licenses... this makes our licenses very valuable and usable across applications. again... this sounds like a chaos group issue.

there are plenty of things to complain about when it comes to autodesk and softimage... but this isn't one of them.
My post you are referring to is from last year and it's obsolete. I didn't know it was possible to use the processing flag then.

scaron

Post by scaron » 03 Jul 2013, 03:08

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:My post you are referring to is from last year and it's obsolete. I didn't know it was possible to use the processing flag then.
whoopsie! sorry about that. hirazi posted the vray 3.0 news making the thread new again and i forgot to check the posting date... i am such an amature!

s

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 03 Jul 2013, 10:43

No, I take full responsibility for this mix-up.
I should have opened a new thread instead of resurrecting this old one... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 03 Jul 2013, 15:23

Hirazi Blue wrote:No, I take full responsibility for this mix-up.
I should have opened a new thread instead of resurrecting this old one... ;)
Prepare to be spanked!

:p