Post by Pancho » 04 Apr 2012, 12:44

Ha, ha! Their prices are quite funny.

origin

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by origin » 04 Apr 2012, 13:06

j3st3r

Post by j3st3r » 04 Apr 2012, 13:44

I reloaded the page several times, because I couldn't believe the price....

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 04 Apr 2012, 14:01

origin wrote:talking about funny prices

http://www.oasys-software.com/massmotion.html
"It may look like magic"

We have a magical release here!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Apr 2012, 15:04

At the moment I personally would be more interested in the "fixes" list & the "KP/L"
than in a preview of not yet fully functional user documentation...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 04 Apr 2012, 15:21

aaaaaaaaaaand Docs have been brought back to 2012SAP
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 04 Apr 2012, 15:22

iamVFX wrote:

"It may look like magic"

This thing seems to have an AI system - CrowdsFX doesnt. You stay short of magic in your magic release, i say. ;)
j3st3r wrote:Seriously, do you listen to the users?

What happened in the last year?
On the Mailing List i think it was Luc-Eric (sorry if i got that wrong) who said they suggested a User-Voice system some time ago and the staff wasnt interested at that point. They were surprised when max went for it.

Max community seems a little disappointed with the results, but they should be very happy, imo. Already saw maya users requesting the same and i can only encourage you guys to press for it whenever you get a chance to speak with someone from AD or with their representatives.

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 04 Apr 2012, 16:12

Only one tiny little problem with the shiny new Max release. Can't use old pluggins :-o

Holy crap. Glad I'm using SI. :)

origin

Post by origin » 04 Apr 2012, 16:35

bottleofram wrote:
iamVFX wrote:

"It may look like magic"

This thing seems to have an AI system - CrowdsFX doesnt. You stay short of magic in your magic release, i say. ;)
depends how you define AI... collision avoidance is AI. I went quickly thru docs and it seems you can add your own rules (AI) to icetree...like awarness to cars, light signals etcetc

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 04 Apr 2012, 17:10

origin wrote:depends how you define AI... collision avoidance is AI. I went quickly thru docs and it seems you can add your own rules (AI) to icetree...like awarness to cars, light signals etcetc
The video puts "magic" in context of having the ability to predict how people would behave in case of evacuation. Collision detection helps predict how zombies would behave in situation... well, in any situation. ;)

Yeah, it was a joke...

fabricio.chamon

Post by fabricio.chamon » 04 Apr 2012, 22:17

well I may play devil's advocate here, but I think mass motion price is not *that* high for 2 reasons:

1) it should be quite complex. Not that crowdFx or ICE isn't, but they must have a team specifically devoted to the crowd simulation niche, which surely comes along with specialization.

2) it is aimed at engineering, not entertainment. And this is a major selling point, because generally the budget is bigger, it aggregates value and quoting the website: "Save time, money and manpower during the planning phase of multi-billion pound projects"

so, considering people who buys the software spend a multi-billion fortune on a project, taking and additional 20,000 is like buying one extra screw to put on your car.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 04 Apr 2012, 22:31

bottleofram wrote: On the Mailing List i think it was Luc-Eric (sorry if i got that wrong) who said they suggested a User-Voice system some time ago and the staff wasnt interested at that point. They were surprised when max went for it.

Max community seems a little disappointed with the results, but they should be very happy, imo. Already saw maya users requesting the same and i can only encourage you guys to press for it whenever you get a chance to speak with someone from AD or with their representatives.
When I first saw/heard of the User-voice feedback that Max has, I was told that it was basically a trial system that had worked on other ADSK products and we were looking to see if it worked. I kinda like the system because it helps users think about what they really want, and being as you only have a certain number of votes, its like having a budget. If you have a budget of $100 and 10 features, spending $10 on each one won't get the work done, so you have think where you spend your cash, so to speak.
It's not a silver bullet though, but its a good way of getting more peoples input on a variety of issues.

In terms of feedback on things like Beta, Softimage still uses a mailing list format, which is ok, but personally I like the ADSK format of forums which Maya, Max, et al use. The Beta website has forums like this community with different sections for things like UI, Modelling, Rendering, and so on. Then the product designers post the features with videos for people to feedback on.
A mailing list is fine, but imo it feels abit 'dated' I think Softimage would get better feedback using a forum based approach. It's also easier to follow.

origin

Post by origin » 05 Apr 2012, 01:41

fabricio.chamon wrote:well I may play devil's advocate here, but I think mass motion price is not *that* high for 2 reasons:

1) it should be quite complex. Not that crowdFx or ICE isn't, but they must have a team specifically devoted to the crowd simulation niche, which surely comes along with specialization.

2) it is aimed at engineering, not entertainment. And this is a major selling point, because generally the budget is bigger, it aggregates value and quoting the website: "Save time, money and manpower during the planning phase of multi-billion pound projects"

so, considering people who buys the software spend a multi-billion fortune on a project, taking and additional 20,000 is like buying one extra screw to put on your car.
Yeah you're probably right. I was actually thinking that they aim for easy public (our) money (government, ministry of transportation etc).

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Apr 2012, 10:58

I always wondered about initiatives like the User Voice forums for 3ds Max. How much influence CAN the user base actually have on ongoing development of the next or at least a very near version? One would assume a lot of what's going on in development has been "road-mapped" well in advance and only "odds and ends" can possibly be implemented "on the side". Or is the development more flexible than I am (merely) guessing here?
;)

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 05 Apr 2012, 12:39

Hirazi Blue wrote:I always wondered about initiatives like the User Voice forums for 3ds Max. How much influence CAN the user base actually have on ongoing development of the next or at least a very near version? One would assume a lot of what's going on in development has been "road-mapped" well in advance and only "odds and ends" can possibly be implemented "on the side". Or is the development more flexible than I am (merely) guessing here?
;)
I understood that the "user voice" was really for "small annoying things". So user voice isn't going to necessarily influence the major features for a given release. And even "small annoying things" have to be balanced against other requirements, as you suggested, such as the product roadmap and Suite requirements.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Apr 2012, 16:38

The scope of the 3ds max uservoice site seems a bit broader than "small annoying things", but even the "annoying things" the user base perceives as being "small" aren't probably always that easy to fix, potentially turning them into way bigger fixes for the developers than the user base can/wants to imagine.
;)