And for the UNBELIEVABLE news..

News concerning 3D DCC business
Letterbox

Re: And for the UNBELIEVABLE news..

Post by Letterbox » 07 Jul 2009, 20:08

BarneyZ wrote:YES !! :-bd IT WORKS NOW! Thanks!
Good :)

Now i get 2 days off :D

BarneyZ

Post by BarneyZ » 07 Jul 2009, 20:46

ok, but ONLY 2 days !! :!!

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 08 Jul 2009, 13:00

BarneyZ wrote:ok, but ONLY 2 days !! :!!
Not even 2 ... as there are some fixes on the site specifically related to tips & tricks, also the window.open, god i just realised i'm typing in Javascript. Anyway the video window is as now small as it can be, video size not changed, just the space around it. Specifically for those with smaller screens.

How you manage on a small screen i dont know, it amazes me, personally I want wait for the day when they get a 4k screen on a laptop :D

Cheers
Terry

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 08 Jul 2009, 22:16

Qwesto mentioned earlier being able to scrub through the videos. Is this only possible with some of them? I was trying the second modeling tutorial from the "certified instructors" and stopped watching after a while, because more than 3 hours was a little bit too much for me in one session. So I returned today, wanted to pick up where I stopped the first time, only to find, I could only start the video from the beginning... My vote goes to: DOWNLOAD??? x_x

BTW: I'm using that truly exotic browser Opera... :D
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Grubber

Post by Grubber » 09 Jul 2009, 08:09

Hi, I watched few videos, most of them about rendering. Everything works like a charm! I am using FF on Windows 7.
Thanks for this great recourse :-bd

Rork

Post by Rork » 09 Jul 2009, 09:21

Opera???

Aren't they the guys responsible for not having a internet browser in Win7 when it comes out in Europe??
The ones that hope it will help them gain market share, like from .5% to 1%?? Hey, at least it's 200%!!!!
Sorry, couldn't resist :p

But to chime in on the website thingy, all's well and working over here. In Vista,Win7 and Ubuntu with IE8 and FF3.x.

I do know it's a ton of work, but also want to agree on the scrubbing thing. I'm having the same thing with the longer videos. Sometimes you just don't watch it fully and want to return later. Now you have to rerun the whole thing again.
Sorry Terry ^#(^

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 09 Jul 2009, 11:02

Rork wrote:Opera???
I do know it's a ton of work
rob
Well you got ONE thing right... I couldn't resist!

As for the one thats more than 3 hours, one point, you can see the time at the beginning... plan your time ... lol (thats that solved)

Rob, you wanted to come back later, thats why they invented the pause button... lol (thats that solved)

I have NO more disk space I cant install anything else sorry Opera ...lol (thats that solved)

So maybe with those solved i can get 30 min off today. Chance would be a fine thing !

Cheers
Terry

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Jul 2009, 11:27

;)
The "unable to scrub in a video lasting over 3 hours"-problem really is annoying, so if you have some time to spare... %-(

OT: And concerning Opera: there was a time websites tried to tailor to all different kinds of browsers. That wasn't pleasant for the webdesigner, I must obviously add, but mostly it worked. I however refuse to yield to the almighty Firefox (as the "only" alternative to the almighty IE). Websites should try to be compatible with any kind of browser, however minor it might be. Which, Letterbox, has nothing to do with the discussion (i.e. Redi-Vivus) at hand, hence OT, but is something worth noting IMHO. The way everyone expects you to use Firefox these days is just as "oppressive" as the way Microsoft shoves it's Internet Explorer down it's user's throat. And I don't use Opera out of some misguided urge to be different: I just like it, it mostly works and it has a very "small footprint"...

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 09 Jul 2009, 12:27

Hirazi Blue wrote:;)
The "unable to scrub in a video lasting over 3 hours"-problem really is annoying, so if you have some time to spare... %-(

OT: And concerning Opera: there was a time websites tried to tailor to all different kinds of browsers. That wasn't pleasant for the webdesigner, I must obviously add, but mostly it worked. I however refuse to yield to the almighty Firefox (as the "only" alternative to the almighty IE). Websites should try to be compatible with any kind of browser, however minor it might be. Which, Letterbox, has nothing to do with the discussion (i.e. Redi-Vivus) at hand, hence OT, but is something worth noting IMHO. The way everyone expects you to use Firefox these days is just as "oppressive" as the way Microsoft shoves it's Internet Explorer down it's user's throat. And I don't use Opera out of some misguided urge to be different: I just like it, it mostly works and it has a very "small footprint"...
Unfortunately what really annoying is that I cant actually watch them at all, where I currently am, I don't have the bandwidth to view any of the larger material. And that applies to many countries, so really annoying is a relative term, at least you can learn from them.

The videos are as what was supplied to us, no more no less. I did go the extra mile, not once but twice, converting them to lo-res for less fortunate people, I did go the extra mile by making the production series progressive, unlike the AREA, unlike VAST, unlike most other places. I did make the site clean and easy to find material.

Concerning Opera, IE, and FF. My time is limited, and to be honest to fix these things for every browser, because of someone personal preferences, is well very time consuming, the IE got fixed because to be honest I got lucky scanning MSDN, if you have ever looked there you know you can spend days searching for anything. Realistically IE's "improvements" og w3.org standard web specifications, to be honest cause these problems to be very irritating, and very time consuming. If you want to complain, I honestly suggest you voice it to the people that make the browsers, they are the ones that are at fault, they are the ones that are causing the problems. I have written the pages as standard, I would expect that to work. Ask them why they have deviated from w3c standards and made "functionally better choices".

Now we do try to do a very professional job, but you know we dont get paid for this. I dont get paid for working the weekends, I dont in general complain at all, I am trying, as best I can, and i dont see anyone else doing anything on this scale for the community for free and offering people the opportunity to learn. We dont run Google ads, banners and everything else over the site, we dont spam you at all. Hell we even turn away people of offer to donate, saying "the best donation is the one when you have learned you pass your knowledge and experience on"

I did see someone say we are the softimage version of gnomon, what he omitted, is there is NO cost, and that's the best news for softimage and the community and new users as more will be inclined to actually use and purchase the program, which is a very good thing.

I also received a mail today about some forum complain about the delay at the front. Are we not allowed to take the time to say thank you to all the people that helped us, is that too much to ask, even though I made it so you now don't have to read it every time.

Too often, people in these forums whine and complain, and I suppose because it's free, they feel more inclined to do so.

I really think people should start focusing the thoughts and efforts on whats positive, and actively encourage us and Autodesk and others too keep this going.

So let me end this with one simple question, have you sent an email to Autodesk saying.. you applaud their commitment to Redi and hope that in continues as you value the education and all efforts made.

Well have you?

Cheers
Terry

Rork

Post by Rork » 09 Jul 2009, 12:49

Leendert,

Don't take my comments about Opera too seriously. I was just teasing you a bit.

Peazzz :ympeace:

rob

@Terry, the pauze button doesn't work when you restart your pc/browser LOL..
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Jul 2009, 13:09

@Letterbox - my comments about Opera and the predominance of Firefox weren't directed at you...
Except for the scrubbing the website works just fine here... :-bd

@Rork :D
I merely looked for a good moment to post my little "Everybody loves Firefox"-rant... ;)

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 09 Jul 2009, 13:46

Hello

Since the online tests are complete, it's time to do a bandwidth and download beta test.

I have selected the "Autodesk Softimage Certified Course v6.x" DVD as the one to download.

You can find it at the bottom of the list of the "The Certification Course" in the online category.

Again, like before, link is for download is in the email sent.

This beta remains operational for 7 SEVEN days.

Cheers
Terry

www.Redi-Vivus.com
User: server
Pass: online

Rork

Post by Rork » 09 Jul 2009, 14:37

Hi Terry,

Just started a DL on my trusty laptop. It's hovering around 300Kb/s, ETA around 50 min. Hope it helps.

And don't get too worked up on people who nag. Free stuff seems to be a easy target for nagging and complaining. Or ignoring regarding a simple 'thank you'.
It's the way the web works I'm afraid, due to the anonimity on the other end.

Most of us know -and- appreciate the enormous amount of work you (and Steven) put into all this, and I'm pretty sure the Softimage ppl are reading these threads as well.

So.... to anyone at AD/Softimage who's reading all this: THANKS A BUNCH!!! BRILLIANT WORK!! ^:)^

rob

P.S. Maybe, although I already have my doubts, you could set up a Paypal account for ppl to aid in the hosting costs. Every euro/rand is one I guess. Would be an interesting psychological experiment. $-)

Edit: DL done in 51 minutes, unzipped with no problems. Terry, you might even trim some 'fat' of the zipfile if your remove the files in the backup folder of the project. Saves some bandwidth in the end I guess. :ymsmug:
Last edited by Rork on 09 Jul 2009, 15:15, edited 2 times in total.

alonzo

Post by alonzo » 09 Jul 2009, 15:03

there is one video which isn't working :(

-> Online
-> The Certification Course — The XSI 6 Certification Course (Hi-res and Lo-Res)
-> DVD 4: Character Setup: Part 1
-> Enveloping -> High Res (Low Res is working)
Nevercenter Silo / Blender / Autodesk Softimage ModTool

Rork

Post by Rork » 09 Jul 2009, 15:10

All 4 vids work on my end, at least first couple of minutes....
Win7/IE8/FF3.5

rob

IslandDreamer

Post by IslandDreamer » 09 Jul 2009, 19:19

alonzo wrote:there is one video which isn't working :(

-> Online
-> The Certification Course — The XSI 6 Certification Course (Hi-res and Lo-Res)
-> DVD 4: Character Setup: Part 1
-> Enveloping -> High Res (Low Res is working)
Video is working for me.