Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
MKXSI

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by MKXSI » 05 Apr 2019, 16:09

@SHEKN yes, using 1.7 :-??

i.m.p

Post by i.m.p » 15 Apr 2019, 12:50

Hello everyone , I'm new to the forum and I hope you are all doing well.

So far, I'm enjoying the incredible integration of Cycles into Softimage. However, I have a minor problem.

Whenever I render anything, the textures in the renders seem to come out blurry or smudgy. Is there a way around this ?

Thank you for your time.

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 15 Apr 2019, 15:26

Send me to PM file with example of the scene. I will try to understand what you mean and why it happens.

xsisoft

Post by xsisoft » 15 Apr 2019, 22:37

upload a screenshot

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 16 Apr 2019, 19:56

Hey Shekn :)

Could you tell me if you have done this with Sycles (emfluid) ?

If yes can you share the scene ?

Thanks a lot
Phil
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

i.m.p

Post by i.m.p » 17 Apr 2019, 14:32

Here's a test render I did of spiderman at 800 samples. The black weblines on his suit are supposed to be straight, but they keep blurring out and cutting off. Any solutions ?
Attachments
Spiderman_000002.jpg

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 17 Apr 2019, 18:07

i.m.p. It seams like a bug with subdivisions. This bug was in previous version of the addon, but in the latest version (1.7.7) it should be fixed. But may be this is a new bug. So, it will be very helpful, if you send me a sample scene.

wireframex. This scene was simulated by ExplosiaFX and, of course, rendered with Sycles. As I remember, this scene does not contains any special techniques. Only very high resolution of the simulation (one frame nearly 500 mb of the cache data). The setup of simulation is very typical and based on ExplosiFX smoke example. One main difference: this simulation use negative Smoke Buoyancy, and that's why the smoke goes down.

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 17 Apr 2019, 18:16

Shekn wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 18:07 wireframex. This scene was simulated by ExplosiaFX and, of course, rendered with Sycles. As I remember, this scene does not contains any special techniques. Only very high resolution of the simulation (one frame nearly 500 mb of the cache data). The setup of simulation is very typical and based on ExplosiFX smoke example. One main difference: this simulation use negative Smoke Buoyancy, and that's why the smoke goes down.
Thanks a lot :)
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

i.m.p

Post by i.m.p » 18 Apr 2019, 04:19

Okay, Shekn. I got the new update. If I encounter the same issue again. I'll send you the scene file. Thanks for your response.

xsisoft

Post by xsisoft » 18 Apr 2019, 11:10

Shekn Hi!
can this help?, here are discussing on the forum Blender -
Tension Map add-on with 2.79- and fads of geometry with rendering (but it is add-on-)

https://blenderartists.org/t/tension-map/1141659

the author is not a beginner, he alone made this masterpiece :-)

i.m.p

Post by i.m.p » 19 Apr 2019, 12:32

Great work on the plugin! 1.7.7 Checks out just fine.

Now all Sycles needs is a bloom/glare post-processing option akin to the Filmic LUTs menu and the plugin will be unbeatable.

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 19 Apr 2019, 13:41

There is built-in post-processing in Softimage. It calls FX Tree. So, there are no reasons to add something similar. In Blender post-processing is not a part of the Cycles too.

xsisoft

Post by xsisoft » 20 Apr 2019, 10:32

i.m.p
- put a photo with a correct render (it is interesting to look at the nuances of the geometry, before correction and after)

i.m.p

Post by i.m.p » 23 Apr 2019, 00:00

I'm not very familiar with FX Tree, but I'll look up some tutorials on it. And xsisoft, I saw your pm. I'll get to posting a render of the changes made.

i.m.p

Post by i.m.p » 23 Apr 2019, 19:14

Here's an updated render. One of the viewport and another of the beauty shot (with a mild yellow tint).

Ps: So far, Sycles is the most savage renderer I've ever come across. Keep at it, Shekn.
Attachments
Viewport.jpg
Render.jpg

xsisoft

Post by xsisoft » 24 Apr 2019, 10:46

:-)