Maya 2018

News concerning 3D DCC business
Rork

Re: Maya 2018

Post by Rork » 27 Jul 2017, 09:28

In a perfect world Blender would clean up the UI, and -after being adopted by all big studios- becomes the standard of 3D, with new functionality development being shared. :ymdaydream: ;)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

NNois

Post by NNois » 27 Jul 2017, 09:53

Did the bitfrost thing end up with something replacing ICE ? modeling etc ?

Rork

Post by Rork » 27 Jul 2017, 10:02

Nope.

They bought MASH, and it looks like it is becoming a odd mix of ICE-, Cinema4D- and Houdini-ish functionality.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 27 Jul 2017, 11:54

NNois wrote:Did the bitfrost thing end up with something replacing ICE ? modeling etc ?
Nope, it's still only a set of nodes for controlling Naiad, that's all. By the way, there were rumors about something new and great that is coming in simulation area, started by some AD people on AD forums, sometime at the end of last year. Some important developers got job again, after they were layoff-ed few years before. Obviously nothing of that for now, there's only hope for Mayans, that something will still appear in some update. Hope dies last..... Bullet dynamics added to Mash (feature from C4d before five or seven years) is a very very bad sign for hopes about Bifrost.

Regarding MASH, that's more or less C4d Mograph level of control - there are theoretically usable operators, influences, randomizers, ID mappers and such. However, options were fixed, what and how is possible to control, (just as C4d Mograph), so imho nothing significant of that, beyond basic functionalities like alive copying operator and such.
Let's say exactly, I've tried to create a 'procedural book listing rig' as some ordinary test (bending, specific to each instance, general rotation and moving of instances...), but no success, it failed at ''general distribution of lists", simply it has no nearly enough possibilities to control the movement, to avoid overlaps (just as c4d Mograph). Same is piece of cake in Houdini, ICE, Fabric, and.... in Max MCG too (well if you're able to make it with closed eyes, as MCG is still not interactive)
In short, no chance for ''controllable'' motion graphics (controllable = able to follow client's wishes), well, only one where I'd be able to earn something, that's story. ''No controllable eye candy" in my life already belongs to After Effects people and hundreds of After Effects plugins, while they are earning very little with that, form what I've heard. That is, MASH is definitively good as addition to Maya with its zero proceduralism, otherwise feel free to forget it. Mash alone is not hard to ''get into'' which is yet another reason to do not care about this thing....

That's all only about deformations. When it comes to modeling that includes topology changes, I'm not sure if Maya is even capable of that at all, at least in feasible way. For example Maya 3rd party equivalent of Mesh Fusion, is asking from users to make choice in advance, how many intersections they'll have (or to repeat the procedure), perhaps because of some Maya internal incapability to have alive Boolean. Maya always been good as ''playback machine, relying on fixed data'', but, after even small change of anything before evaluation, it is like Borg disconnected from collective, randomly shaking and running in circles.

luceric

Post by luceric » 27 Jul 2017, 15:21

They're still actively working on Bifrost's ICE-ish environment for Maya. MASH is a different thing; it's a set of DG nodes and easy user interface for motion graphics artists. Bifrost Fluid is based on Bifrost, but its node graph isn't exposed to the users right now. There aren't enough general nodes in there yet, just what the Fluid developers made for their own needs. I'm somewhat involved with those developers through the Node Editor API part.

CafeNight

Post by CafeNight » 29 Jul 2017, 18:50

good realase, can't say more, not impressive but still not bad
cant understand what Maya dev's what achieve adding all those features may be ofc they usefull but why lol
shift extrude, UV, Floating Shelf finnaly
and 10(or something) year later they adding Circle script
Good job -)

Edit: with Shift Extrude and Duplicate work way faster for some kind of basemeshes for Sculpting
Circularize doing exellent work

but after all Maya has same problem as before

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 10 Aug 2017, 18:38

@Luceric

I am about to dive into Maya 2018 here shortly, and looking at the features - the Shift Extrude is a big one to me, as similar to a thread on here where we talked about something similar. I filled out the survey to make "Maya more streamlined" right before Maya 2018 came out, and a few of my suggestions in that survey were already implemented in 2018, so that was nice to see. Since you are here, I thought maybe I could share a couple of ideas that would help bring some things more inline with the new Shift Extrude function, and get your thoughts.

(Shift Extrude - being the base assumption)

Incremental (Ctrl + Shift): This would work depending on what Translation/Scale/Rotation the user is using. Pressing Ctrl+Shift while Rotating an object with rotate it in degree increments...right now it is the "J" key, but that key is halfway across the keyboard. Pressing Ctrl+Shift while Scaling, would step the scale increments while also Zeroing out at "0" flattening out your selection (i.e. a selection of Vertices). Pressing Ctrl+Shift while moving an object steps it a certain distance.

Snapping Toggle (Ctrl): I think it would be great to set your Snaps (check the boxes you want to use at the top of the screen - i.e. Vertex, Grid, etc.) and then pressing Ctrl to enable that Snap. This allows for multiple setups and enabling that by pressing only one key. Also, I believe this is the process now but I am going by memory...in Softimage, I can move my selected objects and then press Ctrl if I want to enable snapping. In Maya, I have to first press the key I want to snap (i.e. X for grid) and then I can move my geometry. If I don't press the snapping key first, I have to release my objects, press the snapping key first and then snap to what I want. Softimage method is really efficient to me with its setup.

Those are the main ones above I was thinking about, the others would be a toggle for COG (Center of Geometry option) for gizmo positioning; a toggle for 'tweaking' - unless this was already added/changed; Raycast/Marque selection separation where camera based selection can be on one setting but not the other regardless of what shading mode is enabled; and having the TRS gizmo be separate, like it is in Softimage, for quick modeling needs being able to move/snap that on the fly on a temporary basis.

As writing this I am going by limited memory of Maya right now, but I just wanted to share some ideas. Not everything to me is about speed, as I like quality more, but I thought these areas could help improve efficiency if you guys are open to ideas.

Thanks!

luceric

Post by luceric » 10 Aug 2017, 21:37

Rez007 wrote:@Luceric Since you are here, I thought maybe I could share a couple of ideas that would help bring some things more inline with the new Shift Extrude function, and get your thoughts.
Sorry, I totally got out of passing along UI and workflow suggestions.

The Maya team monitors the forum here https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-for ... /area-b201, anything you post there should be seen by the right people.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 11 Aug 2017, 02:56

luceric wrote:
Rez007 wrote:@Luceric Since you are here, I thought maybe I could share a couple of ideas that would help bring some things more inline with the new Shift Extrude function, and get your thoughts.
Sorry, I totally got out of passing along UI and workflow suggestions.

The Maya team monitors the forum here https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-for ... /area-b201, anything you post there should be seen by the right people.
I will try there. Thanks for the info.