First Softimage -> Maya transition videos posted

Discussions about migration to other software
jill.ramsay

First Softimage -> Maya transition videos posted

Post by jill.ramsay » 12 May 2014, 17:18

Hello everyone,
The first videos from our Softimage to Maya transition training curriculum are now posted, with more to come this week and at a regular rate thereafter. We hope to give you a thorough introduction to Maya that draws on your existing Softimage knowledge.

We thank you for your patience – we know you’d have liked to have these sooner. On the plus side, the later release date has allowed us to validate our curriculum with a number of customers and to use the 2015 versions of the software.

I hope you find these videos useful. You can post your feedback in the comments section on the site.

The Softimage Learning Channel can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SoftimageHowTos

With the first two videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QokQ6r7 ... 7FF264D722

and here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWjrYBX ... 7FF264D722

Best,
Jill

EDIt by OWEI: please use URL TAGS! Thanks!
additional Moderator edit: I embedded the videos - HB

angus_davidson

Re: First Softimage -> Maya transition videos posted

Post by angus_davidson » 12 May 2014, 18:35

Well busy watching the videos so I will add what I pick up

The first main thing he acknowledges is that the icons on the shelf are not easy too figure out.
Making the shelf items text only (which is what most of us would like to do) just makes a mess. Really how is this not a priority UI thing to fix !
Time required before Mel is required to make something work as we want 7 Minutes.
Amen to 8 not being bound to Paint effects in Maya 2015
I am assuming there are about another 20 or so of these before the softimage workflows are covered :)

Angus
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

jill.ramsay

Post by jill.ramsay » 12 May 2014, 19:46

Many more to come and we'll be ramping up to more complex workflows as we go... so feel free to dip in wherever suits. Thanks again for everyone's patience.

Jill

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 19 May 2014, 11:52

Imho, posting video about adapting hot keys, that's good decision. For small story, while ago when I started with Softimage, I wanted to learn it in 'proper' way, I've been sooo ready to adapt everything. But, finally this didn't worked, perhaps because I had to deal with another 3d, daily. For small example, space key and Softimage sticky keys, become replaced back, by more usual 'click outside manipulator to deselect', combined with transform setup. Now I'm feeling happy because of this. Today, this funny, spider like :) thing in Maya, that popups when space key is pressed, don't slapping me that much.
So I have to admit, since XSI 5 or so, I'm running some strange mix of my own 20 - 30 keys, literally anywhere. I'm considering this as first introduction step, which gives me a chance for first rewarding experience. Later on, if there is sense, still there is option to go back to factory configuration.
Nice to see 'drag select' option in Maya, that's what I hoped to see in SI, through the years.

jill.ramsay

Post by jill.ramsay » 19 May 2014, 17:08

Thanks so much for the positive feedback. We have many more videos to come and I sincerely hope there will be something everyone will find useful in there.

Jill

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Jun 2014, 12:26

Hi Jill,
As I imagine there to be a fixed number of tutorials, is there any indication
how many there eventually will be posted and (possibly even more importantly) in which time-frame?
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

jill.ramsay

Post by jill.ramsay » 02 Jun 2014, 13:27

Hirazi Blue wrote:Hi Jill,
As I imagine there to be a fixed number of tutorials, is there any indication
how many there eventually will be posted and (possibly even more importantly) in which time-frame?
;)
Hi there,
It's not exactly fixed, as we keep tweaking the curriculum based on new incoming feedback, but it is extensive - lots more to come. We are working on the videos continually and posting as we go. There are now 10 videos. I anticipate it will take many months before we're finished.

Cheers,
Jill