Exocortex / mootzoid

Discussions about migration to other software
luchifer

Exocortex / mootzoid

Post by luchifer » 29 Apr 2014, 21:01

Hi, just a quick general question, do you guys know if xsi plugins are being transfered to anything that doesnt belong to autodesk? or if there are some equivalent to species/slipstream in other packages like c4d?

Mathaeus

Re: Exocortex / mootzoid

Post by Mathaeus » 30 Apr 2014, 14:17

For rigging and characters, for now, I think the all you can get is in C4d, studio version. How all that works, honestly I don't know - never been forced to use it, don't know for anyone, having some real production experience. It was a 3rd party rigging solution, called Cactus Dan or something, but doesn't seem to be updated for since c4d r12 or like. Nothing even close to Species, afaik.
Out of SI - Maya land, closest thing to Species could be Blender's Make Human - Rigify connection. Few of my ex-colleagues created some 2d games with this - but they are also a Python addicts and Blender hardcore users, they have a lot of experience in this field too - so it's hard to tell, how that connection is really usable, in 'out of the box' state.
Smoke fluid simulators, yes there are some for Cinema, starting from x-particles. Again, don't believe this is exactly the same concept as Slipstream.

Cutman

Re: Exocortex / mootzoid

Post by Cutman » 05 May 2014, 13:35

This video gives a pretty good demo of the Character Object in C4D. Not Species but a reasonable auto rigger for character work.

Cactus Dan's rigging tools are well respected in the C4D community but I'm pretty sure the internal tools now are comparable in scope to CD's tools.

X-Particles can be considered Mogrpah for Particles in C4D and uses a similar philosophy to C4D's mograph toolset but can XP can handle many more particles and is often preferable to battling the dated and slow Thinking Particles.

TurbulenceFD is a good plugin for fire and smoke which compares well to Slipstream and there's Effex 2.0 from Navie which does smoke, fire and fluid. Both TFD and Effex work with Krakatoa.