Do I need subscription to download service packs?

Discussions about migration to other software
forton

Do I need subscription to download service packs?

Post by forton » 18 Apr 2014, 10:17

Hi there,

OK, so there's si 2015, downloaded, installed...

My subscription ends at 5th of may, is there any reason now to renew it?
I'm not planning to migrate to maya or 3ds max, I have a softimage-only license.
I'm not switching to other autodesk software with this license because my reseller told me if I did it would be illegal to use softimage after the migration period.
If I replace my machine will I be able to have my license transferred?

Cheers, Wim

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Do I need subscription to download service packs?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Apr 2014, 10:42

Three things (but bear in mind I do not work for Autodesk, so use this information at your own risk & don't sue me :D ):
1) Service Packs have traditionally always been open to all, I see no reason why this would change.
2) As to transfer of your license to new hardware, see this mail from the Mailing List by Maurice Patel (who is from Autodesk!).
3) As to the legality of usage after the migration period: that policy was changed after the initial uproar,
you can read about the change in this post again by Maurice Patel.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

forton

Post by forton » 18 Apr 2014, 13:01

If I migrate to maya or 3ds max with my standalone it seems to be illegal to use softimage after the transition(without having the suite).

These are the 3 options given from my reseller (literally):
Keep one softimage ine action and buy an extra maya licence: 3900€ +665€ for the subscription.
Upgrade to maya and use softimage with a crack only for old project (2-3 time per year):
Upgrade to a suite with maya and softimage+ motion builder and mudbox:

For the 2 last options, I have to check for the price.
He's literally suggesting to use a crack to open old projects. :-o
If I want to stay legal and use Softimage after the transition period I can't migrate with this license.
And yes I was hoping for a better deal from autodesk...

luceric

Post by luceric » 18 Apr 2014, 15:20

this is simply not true, your 2015 license will work and be legal forever, you paid for it.
there is no need to buy a suite. there is zero risk for you to upgrade to the migration package + subscription.

and yes,there was clarification one week after the announcement and they will be many resellers who do not know and got the original, confusing, message only.

forton

Post by forton » 18 Apr 2014, 16:24

As we had previously announced, a program is available to all Softimage customers on Subscription providing you with the option of migrating to 3ds Max or Maya via a bundle that will include a Softimage license until April 2016. Based on your feedback we will be adding the ability to continue to access Softimage indefinitely with your Subscription entitlement even after we stop support on Softimage in April 2016. We have heard you and we want to make sure you can continue to be able to access your Softimage projects even after the retirement of Softimage.
So I can read this like:
Now I have only softimage, soon I will be able (with my subscription) to use maya alongside softimage, before and after the migration period.
So in reality after I migrate my softimage-only license to maya, it becomes a maya-softimage bundle?

jill.ramsay

Post by jill.ramsay » 18 Apr 2014, 18:11

What Luc-Eric said is correct. Yes, if you are on subscription you will be able to migrate to a Maya plus Softimage (or 3ds Max plus Softimage) pack and then use both. All details are here:
http://www.autodesk.com/products/autode ... e/overview
Please ask your reseller to contact Autodesk if he is still confused, or if you want to give me his/her name in a PM, I will contact them.

Thanks,
Jill

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Apr 2014, 22:01

One thing that is still not clear to me:
If I understood everything correctly, the usage of Softimage becomes a Subscription entitlement after the transitional period, akin to the previous usage rights. Say I opt in for the Maya path, stay on Subscription for a couple of years and then decide to drop Subscription altogether. Softimage usage being considered a Subscription entitlement, does that mean I lose my Softimage usage rights the moment I stop Subscription?
:-s

forton

Post by forton » 19 Apr 2014, 00:44

Same question here, if we stop subscription someday after 2016 do we still have the the right to use the two programs?
If you need to use Softimage after February 1, 2016 you will be able to access it through the Subscription center in the same way that Subscription customers can access prior versions today.
Looks like it should be "If you need to download a copy of Softimage ..." this is so vague :-?
These options will be available until February 1, 2016
So what option won't be available after that period?

I'm reading it like this:
Before February 1, 2016 I can choose which software I migrate to (maya or max) after February 1, 2016 I have one of these two + softimage which I can use as much and as long as I want to. This is very important to me because I plan to have softimage in my toolbox for much longer than two years from now.

Jill, I'll send you a PM

jill.ramsay

Post by jill.ramsay » 19 Apr 2014, 05:21

Stand by... definitive answer maybe slightly delayed by long weekend, but I assure it is coming. :-) Happy Easter/spring bunny egg time BTW.

luceric

Post by luceric » 19 Apr 2014, 13:44

if you cancel your subscription, you'll have the right to only run the last version of each product, that means the latest build of Maya 20xx , and Softimage 2015. whether you cancel sub in 2015 or in 2020, same thing. no need to be on sub to continue to use Softimage 2015.

you'll lose access to the download center, so you'll have to make a copy of your licenses and software before your subscription ends.

The options that end in 2016 are the migration options (the max or maya offers).
Last edited by luceric on 19 Apr 2014, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

luceric

Post by luceric » 19 Apr 2014, 13:58

Say I opt in for the Maya path, stay on Subscription for a couple of years and then decide to drop Subscription altogether. Softimage usage being considered a Subscription entitlement, does that mean I lose my Softimage usage rights the moment I stop Subscription?
Maurice Patel's reply to the same question
Sorry about the confusion - no, it does not stop working and you do not need to be on Subscription to continue to use Softimage

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Apr 2014, 15:11

Thanks for your reply. This indeed looks like a very similar question,
although an explicit answer to mine is still more than welcome.
I'm days away from renewal and I just want to make sure.
With all the numerous statements it's all quite confusing.
From what mister Patel states in the post you link to, it would seem,
access to Softimage 2015 becomes the actual Subscription entitlement, not the usage thereof.
But again: confused!

PS & hopefully clarifying edit:
The way it looks now: You use Max/Maya under Subscription and have usage rights for Softimage.
If the system is like "previous version rights" you forfeit use of Softimage once you stop paying Subscription.
That is why clearing up the status of Softimage within Subscription and especially thereafter is so important to me.

jill.ramsay

Post by jill.ramsay » 22 Apr 2014, 17:23

Hey guys,
I'm going to make sure this confusion is cleaned up in the FAQ. Apologies for that.

Jill

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 Apr 2014, 17:25

Thanks, that would be helpful, but, as I have to renew my subscription relatively imminently
and this still would seem to be a potential deal breaker:
can you confirm continued usage rights for Softimage even after ending a Maya/Softimage subscription?

jill.ramsay

Post by jill.ramsay » 22 Apr 2014, 22:47

Yes. If you choose to migrate, your current Softimage license is no longer valid and is replaced by a Maya/Softimage or 3ds Max/Softimage bundle license. That license is yours indefinitely. If you drops subs, you'll be able to use the current version of Maya/Max and the current version of Softimage (2015) at the time you drop off. You will not be able to use earlier versions, as that is a subscription benefit.

Does that help?

We are working to clarify the FAQ.

Best,
Jill

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 Apr 2014, 22:50

That indeed helps a lot! Thank you very much! :-bd