Transition: Max versus Maya

Discussions about migration to other software
MauricioPC

Re: Transition: Max versus Maya

Post by MauricioPC » 16 Mar 2014, 14:19

luceric wrote:I think it is you who keeps using this year's VES and 98% Human as "proof" that XSI is technically superior.
Not, I was giving an example. I talk about why I like Softimage, I have no background to talk about it technically as I'm no technical person and I take your word for it when you said that Softimage has ended it's run.

But if there's something I know is film and it's not a fucking software that makes good film. The simple idea that you will win a OSCAR because you are in the field using Maya is idiotic at best. It's like saying you will win a OSCAR in lighting in the future because you film was shot with RED instead of film.

Gareth Edwards is directing Godzilla now because of his first film, which all effects were done with 3ds Max. Maybe if he used Maya he would won a OSCAR with that movie. :-bd
PETA '98% Human' won a VES because the VFX was good and the story was also.
Read it again.

-- EDIT --

I see you added some things. So ... Jurassic Park won a OSCAR because Spielberg is an amazing storyteller and not because of Softimage 3D. Even if it won Best Special Effects. If the effects don't serve the story, the tech doesn't matter.

luceric

Post by luceric » 16 Mar 2014, 14:26

MauricioPC wrote:But if there's something I know is film and it's not a fucking software that makes good film. The simple idea that you will win a OSCAR because you are in the field using Maya is idiotic at best.
Okay, who said that? I don't know what you are replying to.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 16 Mar 2014, 14:31

luceric wrote:
MauricioPC wrote:But if there's something I know is film and it's not a fucking software that makes good film. The simple idea that you will win a OSCAR because you are in the field using Maya is idiotic at best.
Okay, who said that? I don't know what you are replying to.
I'm tired of arguing with you.

luceric

Post by luceric » 16 Mar 2014, 15:08

angus_davidson wrote:
luceric wrote:your reply has nothing to do with the context of the question asked, which is education

by you standard, angus should have never taught Softimage before ICE came along - and even then.
Well we were evaluating Softimage and Max from 2004. We made the decision based on the specific needs of our course and the students we were getting. As you know we switched right when Softimage was bought by Autodesk. ie Late 2008. So we started evaluating before ICE (Moondust) came along it just took 3 years to convince our powers that be that moving away from Maya was going to be beneficial for the program, Looking back at the immediate improvement that we got by changing to Softimage and the momentum we have had since then their only regret was that they didnt listen to us sooner.
You wrote "Max has a few problems for us: Its very heavily dependent on plugins most of which dont have edu pricing"
What plug ins? There shouldn't be anything one can't teach in Max, the majority of the 3D schools and universities are using Max.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 16 Mar 2014, 16:26

Trying to remember off the top of my head I would say Bones pro was one, And I do remember the then lecturer at the time was not a fan of character studio. So was looking at some of the other solution which I cant recall off hand.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Hellomojo

Post by Hellomojo » 17 Mar 2014, 10:49

Was looking at this...

~Rappatools for Max
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLmuU-OnSiI

This will be my ambition with Max or Maya - Automating all the usual generalist tasks, for example setting up a script to create image planes on select images in a browser. I need to put all that stuff at the fore for what suits me, as I said before I can be seduced by advanced features but I need to look at the stuff that I do 10,000 times a year before I get to that. Set up some scripts in my Maya trial too, like the shortcut Shift+Ctrl click a command and it adds a button to your shelf....

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 18 Mar 2014, 02:31

Dorrito Effect with 3ds Max 2014 by Paul Neale. He asked for the sharing. :)

Hellomojo

Post by Hellomojo » 19 Mar 2014, 15:37

Thanks for all your help and advice everyone, decided on Maya. I am sad to see what was number one bite the dust but hey, gotta move on. It's like everything else in the world, economics rules.

Great community here, I wasn't here too much as I was reading the manuals for softimage for 14 years.... uh.

Hellomojo

Post by Hellomojo » 21 Mar 2014, 09:51

Having looked at Maya for a week...
It will do what's needed - but it really stenches of programmers making decisions. The whole icons everywhere looks like an effort to appease 'Arty people' (Like me, but I am a techhie too.)

Simple things like the Attribute editor, the use of space, so you have to keep clicking on things and opening up stuff etc. ridiculous and not compact enough.

There is lag when you use the hotbox (space)/maximize - know it's only a microsecond but pisses me off the flash of a menu when I am just maximizing - need to reassign.
The Softimage guys must have been using their software 24/7 over the years - all decisions- just seemed to be smart and pretty solutions.

Also the manual is pretty light on information. It just dives straight in to definitions without explaining the initial concept in a short paragraph. You might remember Softimage used to win awards for it's manuals.

Softimage learned a lot from the mistakes of the others, so they better learn from the pioneering Softimage!

Clunky but it's my future.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 31 Mar 2014, 03:24

For those who are still deciding ... A nice commercial done in 3ds Max.

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Omega-Co ... 3)/7974809