Going Modo?

Discussions about migration to other software
Pooby

Re: Going Modo?

Post by Pooby » 19 Mar 2014, 13:24

Unless you delete XSI and throw away the license, it will be still around to help until Modo gets to a point where you wont need XSI so much.

satyajit

Post by satyajit » 19 Mar 2014, 13:33

Pooby wrote:Unless you delete XSI and throw away the license, it will be still around to help until Modo gets to a point where you wont need XSI so much.
Yeah. Hopefully.

And don't you dare stop working on developing more ICE inspirations. I wonder what will people say when they see a new tool coming from XSI, the dead man walking, which can't be attempted in Maya/Max.

angelous4x

Post by angelous4x » 19 Mar 2014, 22:51

I remember there was a series On Digital tutors, maya artist migrating to Softimage.

I would be very helpful if foundry had a series similar where it could help softimage artist migrate to Modo.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 20 Mar 2014, 00:12

angelous4x wrote:I would be very helpful if foundry had a series similar where it could help softimage artist migrate to Modo.
Migrating couldn't be more simple. Throw away 50% of your XSI knowledge and 75% of your possibilities and you are a happy Modo user.

angelous4x

Post by angelous4x » 20 Mar 2014, 00:17

=((

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 20 Mar 2014, 00:21

amitr wrote:
Pancho wrote:Node base is usless compare to other more importent things XSI is missing like 3d paint and sculpting.
Well, Modo lacks powerful sculpting and painting tools, too. As long as it doesn't reach Sculptris' capabilities at least by 50% it's not worth thinking about working with Modo in this area seriously.

P.S.: Nobody in the industry would consider Modo for these tasks. There's no way around zBrush, Sculptris and Mari at this point if you are really looking into this area of modeling texturing. And I would never bother that these things aren't included in SI. Waste of time and money to include this.

amitr

Post by amitr » 20 Mar 2014, 00:46

Pancho wrote:
amitr wrote:
Pancho wrote:Node base is usless compare to other more importent things XSI is missing like 3d paint and sculpting.
Well, Modo lacks powerful sculpting and painting tools, too. As long as it doesn't reach Sculptris' capabilities at least by 50% it's not worth thinking about working with Modo in this area seriously.

P.S.: Nobody in the industry would consider Modo for these tasks. There's no way around zBrush, Sculptris and Mari at this point if you are really looking into this area of modeling texturing. And I would never bother that these things aren't included in SI. Waste of time and money to include this.
I disagree with you that those tools modo missing are powerfull, but i will ask anyway:
Can you point out powerful sculpting and painting tools that modo is missing please?

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 20 Mar 2014, 10:33

It's not about missing tools in Modo. Did you ever compare Modo sculpting with zBrush or Sculptris. Then you realize that Modo sculpting (not modeling) is only half baked and not worth to think about when it comes to workflow speed. Modo got a lot of everything, but it's not really strong in anything (except modeling). That's the reason why it is just another LW currently and not a secret weapon.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 20 Mar 2014, 11:06

Rendering in modo is also very good. Layer system is not so bad, and don't understood why people are so negative about.

What lack in modo sculpt and paint? The list is very long... if you have worked with zbrush you just know, even blender are better sculpt tools and performance. However, is an error considering modo sculpt a separate room of modo modelling tools. Is nice work seamless, use a smoth brush, apply a loop and then use a push brush, all without leave modo, is nice and fast.

Anyway, I don't see any particular strong point in modo modelling tools, some nice things, but nothing worth migrating from softimage (for modelling) to modo. ATM only mesh fusion appeal me, but I have just zbrush and dynamesh fit very well my needs.

satyajit

Post by satyajit » 20 Mar 2014, 11:19

Pancho wrote:It's not about missing tools in Modo. Did you ever compare Modo sculpting with zBrush or Sculptris. Then you realize that Modo sculpting (not modeling) is only half baked and not worth to think about when it comes to workflow speed. Modo got a lot of everything, but it's not really strong in anything (except modeling). That's the reason why it is just another LW currently and not a secret weapon.
Now, It's really unfair to compare anything with Zbrush when it comes to sculpting.

What I like in Modo is the nice unified space where you can model, UV, sculpt and paint. I was wondering why don't XSI have a smooth option for the prop modeling tool. Modo offers me option to sculpt in low poly, which is awesome. You can quickly add new parts in a model, incorporate the UV in your existing, paint it, want some details on the normal of the paint, sculpt and bake it, your existing uv and paint is short of space? > quickly make another UV and bake the previous paint on this UV and save as a new paint. etc.

Feels nice.

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 20 Mar 2014, 12:32

Guys,
can anyone proficient in Modo answer me a question:

It doesn't have an operator stack, that much is clear.
But is it true that there are NO modeling relations either? Example: create a curve, extrude it, and change the curve afterwards.
I watched a video, tested, and yeah, after you drop the Curve Extrude tool, it's done. No more decent option to change the shape, or animate this.

Interestingly, with MeshFusion, you seem to get modeling relations, but this looks like a 'special case' solution, nothing that's built upon a standard technique of sorts.

The undo log window has this interesting bar that can be moved 'back in time', but the moment you change anything (as in Softimage or any other app with an undo stack), the more recent commands disappear.

I really like a lot about Modo, from what I gather, but this is a rather severe restriction in flexibility. I just can't imagine seriuosly working with a program that has such a 'destructive', linear workflow. It just doesn't compute...

C4D seems to offer more in that regard. It has good 'modeling relations' - generators that take input objects by d&d, but no operator stack either.

Thanks,
Eugen

satyajit

Post by satyajit » 20 Mar 2014, 12:43

Eugen wrote:Guys,
can anyone proficient in Modo answer me a question:

It doesn't have an operator stack, that much is clear.
But is it true that there are NO modeling relations either? Example: create a curve, extrude it, and change the curve afterwards.
I watched a video, tested, and yeah, after you drop the Curve Extrude tool, it's done. No more decent option to change the shape, or animate this.

Interestingly, with MeshFusion, you seem to get modeling relations, but this looks like a 'special case' solution, nothing that's built upon a standard technique of sorts.

The undo log window has this interesting bar that can be moved 'back in time', but the moment you change anything (as in Softimage or any other app with an undo stack), the more recent commands disappear.

I really like a lot about Modo, from what I gather, but this is a rather severe restriction in flexibility. I just can't imagine seriuosly working with a program that has such a 'destructive', linear workflow. It just doesn't compute...

C4D seems to offer more in that regard. It has good 'modeling relations' - generators that take input objects by d&d, but no operator stack either.

Thanks,
Eugen
There's no such things like Modeling relations or Operator Stack in Modo. If you ask me what I miss most coming from XSI, that would be this particular feature.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 20 Mar 2014, 13:13

Well, than you should go to Max! :D

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 20 Mar 2014, 13:29

... know it, been there. Or even C4D, as a compromise.

It's one of the things I'm going to ask Brad Peebler in that (hopefully) upcoming webinar - if this Nexus architecture would still allow Modo for such an enhancement, and if there are any plans already.

'Miss this feature' is an understatement... this sucks a dead steers testicles... how can anyone in his right mind not plan for such a workflow??

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 20 Mar 2014, 14:02

Eugen wrote:... know it, been there. Or even C4D, as a compromise.

It's one of the things I'm going to ask Brad Peebler in that (hopefully) upcoming webinar - if this Nexus architecture would still allow Modo for such an enhancement, and if there are any plans already.

'Miss this feature' is an understatement... this sucks a dead steers testicles... how can anyone in his right mind not plan for such a workflow??
Well, I'm torn between Max and Maya to be honest. I always though I would want to work in the VFX industry, but as the days pass, I think I'll be more happy being a freelancer, opening my own company, etc.

And with that in mind I think Max can bring me some cool things.

satyajit

Post by satyajit » 20 Mar 2014, 14:35

MauricioPC wrote:
Eugen wrote:... know it, been there. Or even C4D, as a compromise.

Well, I'm torn between Max and Maya to be honest. I always though I would want to work in the VFX industry, but as the days pass, I think I'll be more happy being a freelancer, opening my own company, etc.

And with that in mind I think Max can bring me some cool things.

Go for Maya, if you don't want to re-learn again.