why not cinema 4d?

Discussions about migration to other software
MauricioPC

Re: why not cinema 4d?

Post by MauricioPC » 13 Mar 2014, 16:51

missingkey wrote:Cinema is a toy, don't be fooled.

It sits nicely on an individuals workstation, who uses photoshop, after effects, and illustrator religiously. They show all their friends the cool 3D text they can make, and how they can orbit around it, and change materials. Ooooooo look, I can clone an object. And export my 3d scene to after effects to add 3d stroke and shine. Lmao

If you like cinema, you probably didn't need to be using softimage in the first place. Koodos to you. But if your seriously looking for a replacement to SI.... Well, keep looking.

This is silly, about as silly as wanting softimage for macosx. Lol.

Moderator edit: please tone it down a little... - HB
Yeah ... I hate this text_clone_shinny_softwares ...

http://www.maxon.net/en/customer-storie ... tures.html

talent103

Post by talent103 » 13 Mar 2014, 16:53

I totally disagree. Not a toy at all. Not what I would use for film but for commercials/ broadcast and motion graphics really cool. Being in NY that's what I do. I am not looking for an alternative to Softimage. There is none. I am seriously looking for an alternative to going back to Maya. :) I wont even consider Max.

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 13 Mar 2014, 17:11

missingkey wrote:Cinema is a toy, don't be fooled.

It sits nicely on an individuals workstation, who uses photoshop, after effects, and illustrator religiously. They show all their friends the cool 3D text they can make, and how they can orbit around it, and change materials. Ooooooo look, I can clone an object. And export my 3d scene to after effects to add 3d stroke and shine. Lmao

If you like cinema, you probably didn't need to be using softimage in the first place. Koodos to you. But if your seriously looking for a replacement to SI.... Well, keep looking.

This is silly, about as silly as wanting softimage for macosx. Lol.

Moderator edit: please tone it down a little... - HB
ok, im not going into an e-peen contest about what is the better software. I just want to say this: No software is a toy, they are tools, and you pick the tool you need for the work you are currently doing. You cant call a screwdriver a toy just because you use a hammer. And yes, you are correct, photoshop, after effects and illustrator are some tools of choice of a Motion Graphics Artist.

But, I get it, friend, we all are sad that XSI is gone. This post is meant to help people transition from XSI to C4D if they choose to. There are other posts about Houdini, Modo or even Maya (I havent seen a single post about Max).

A final advise, please, post something constructive, you say you love XSI passes, you say C4D user dont understand them, but at the same time you dont show examples of what you want. Please, let the C4D gurus around here understand the difference.

noseman

Post by noseman » 13 Mar 2014, 17:36

Very brief, non destructive spline workflow overview.
https://vimeo.com/89013931
a Mac, Cinema 4D & half a brain are all the tools I need

noseman

Post by noseman » 13 Mar 2014, 17:50

Here's a good example of a high end project, done with C4D.

https://vimeo.com/88158728

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 13 Mar 2014, 18:08

Thanks for the video, much appreciated!

As has been said, curves are problematic in Softimage. Such a workflow as you show would not really be possible.
The curve tools I wrote provide the means for a workaround to simulate booleans, but this is neither interactive nor as clean or stable as it should be.
I like the way you change input objects by simply putting them under the generator!

You got my attention...

Ok, some other little 'test', if I may:

Take a box, delete a polygon, apply a 'thickness' operator (or 'shell', whatever it's called), apply a 'slice' operator connected to a helper object, then a cap (the slice op does not automatically do this here).
Whole setup complete parametric, of course. Anything can be changed anywhere. Box width, thickness, helper position, etc.
See screenshot.
I you manage this, I'll do some serious rethinking.
Attachments
screenshot sliced box.jpg

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 13 Mar 2014, 18:22

noseman wrote:Here's a good example of a high end project, done with C4D.
Wow, nothing but impressive!
Thanks!

noseman

Post by noseman » 13 Mar 2014, 19:13

Copying your example was very easy, so I tried to extend the example by adding a bit of Xpresso.
If you want something more complex, please tell me and I'll do my best to try and match it.

Mind you, the approach is TOTALLY different than your example, and there are other ways of achieving the same visual result.
I hope I get you rethinking :-)

hmmm, I can't seem to be able to post a link to the video. The forum won't let me.[FIXED]

here's the Vimeo video number:
https://vimeo.com/89023278
Last edited by noseman on 13 Mar 2014, 23:42, edited 2 times in total.

cgcris

Post by cgcris » 13 Mar 2014, 19:18

Hi,

Tim Clapham from hellolux has been kind enough to share a code for 50% discount on some of this training in case anyone is interested.
I gain nothing by providing this codes, and they will be valid until the end or March.

http://www.helloluxx.com/

use code: "softimagetv-c4d"

learn. Mastering Materials in Cinema4D
learn. Idents for Cinema4D: TV
learn. Cinema4D Dynamics

"50%" off with code "softimagetv-houdini".

http://www.helloluxx.com/product/houdin ... modelling/

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 13 Mar 2014, 19:58

I saw some freebies of Tim Clapham and he's a very good teacher. And he's a C4D master as well.

http://www.vimeo.com/73906685

The other cool thing about C4D is that the community is really badass. Great artists share their scene files so you can pick
apart how it was done, the setups, complexity, etc. The best example I can think about is Beeple. Such an amazing artitst
and all his scene files are up for grab and testing.

http://www.beeple-crap.com/

Now ... the only thing I wish Maxon address in R16 is some animation love. That's a subject that's hasn't been address in C4D for sometime (from what I read).

noseman

Post by noseman » 13 Mar 2014, 23:48

Parametric modelling in Cinema 4D using primitive splines, generators and deformers…

Another way to do the "thick box".

https://vimeo.com/89051556

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 14 Mar 2014, 10:16

Hi noseman,
thanks a lot for the videos! Good jumpstart to the C4D workflow, in fact.

Couple of things:
The box example was meant to expose a specific parametric modeling approach - not an approach to get to any specific shape or form. Of course you could do the same thing with booleans, too, in Softimage.
Btw, most model's 'shell' cannot simply be derived by scaling. Take any U-like shape, for example.

Q: is there a dedicated 'thickness' tool? The 'explode' tool you use in the second video looks a bit like a workaround.

Also, let's count out any deformers in our little examples. Although important, they are on the 'trivial' side anyway, technically, because they basically just push vertices, and do not change the topology of the object (add/delete components).
I do like the C4D way of applying them, though, with that handle (twist, bend, etc.). Softimage does not have any interactive handles for most modeling operators.

I can see that the topic of 'modeling relations' works very well in C4D, meaning combining objects to create a new one - simply d&d them in a 'containter' object (booleans, extrusions,...)
Obviously, the container object becomes the parent (in the sense of normal hierarchies) of the input objects as well, correct? Would makes sense.

Q: what if you transform the 'container' object now? I'd expect the input objects to be transformed accordingly.

This is different in Softimage. Less handy here, actually. What I have do is put the input curves together with the extrusion in a model (= a very powerful and important concept here - a 'scene in the scene', with it's own center, that can as well be an external Ref, and more), so when you transform the whole model, everything stays in place, like you would intuitively expect. Yet you have to take care of this yourself.

3ds max, btw., has a somewhat similar approach to C4D, because it makes internal copies (instances, I assume) of the input objects (when creating compounds or extrusions), so they get automatically parented to the 'main' object, and transform with it. Very practical.

Now the thing I want to nail you down to ;} is that you don't have an operator stack, as I understand it, and any sort of topology chancing tool sequence will force you to 'freeze' the object, thus loosing parameters.

So, to define the term 'parametric modeling' more precisely - it means keeping all parameters accessible, all the time. Could be called non-linear workflow, too.
I understand that inter-object relationships work very good in C4D, but topo changes on an object itself don't, correct?

I'm checking out the boundaries here, as you surely notice, and it's perfectly justified to ask if keeping an operator stack is really necessary for most scenarios, or even a show stopper.
That's a central question for me at this time, because no other application except 3ds max (which I don't want to go back to), or Houdini (which is overkill for me) has this, and I'd like to make an educated decision.
In fact, even in Softimage people tend to freeze the operator stack after the modeling process is finished, because a huge stack can become a performance issue with animation (a character for example). It would work just fine keeping the stack live, though, even with topo changes. That's one of the strenghts of Softimage. Maya can become a nightmare in that regard.

Q: in Softimage, you can select some components (verts, edges, polys), create a cluster from it, and apply any deformer to the cluster. Then you can go back and change the cluster's content by adding or removing components, and the end result will change accordingly. (in 3ds max, too, btw - even a little simpler)
Do you have the concept of clusters? What they basically do is 'rise' components in the rank of scene objects. You can also e.g. assign materials to them (they override the object's material then).

Are you still with me?
Please forgive me if I'm too lazy to create a video... =p

Q: is there a tools to 'attach' an object to another one? What I mean is, that no third object is created, but the attached object becomes part of the first one (polys, curves, nurbs).

Q: can you create/place objects on other objects interactively, aligned to the surface normals? 3ds max can do this, Softimage can't. (wrote a little script that can do this via 'pick component' commands, but it's not interactive. There's another plugin for interactive placing of primitives, too).

Q: can you do extrusions with correct corners? See screenshot. The path and profile curve are white.
Confessedly, I'm using one of my own tools here, because Softimage cannot do this o.o.t.b.
This a detail, I know, but one that buggered me all the time. Clean extrusions are important for many modeling/visualization tasks.

Q: Do you have automatic UVs for primitives, extrusions, etc.? Do they correctly update when you do any topo changes?

Thanks for the infos!
Cheers,
Eugen
Attachments
screenshot extrusion2.jpg

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 14 Mar 2014, 11:55

Installed the trial...

Guys, please don't tell me there's a f*up with the wacom pen!
I cannot properly work in the viewport. Not even the menus work as expected!

Thanks for any advice!

Edit:
I already turned on 'graphics tablet' in the 'input devices' preference.
My wacom driver is set to mouse mode, which I prefer.

Edit2:
Checked - the wacom mouse mode is unsupported. Oh man...

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 14 Mar 2014, 12:25

Something else maybe worth mentioning:
XPresso's functionality can be mapped to ICE perfectly. You can deal with object's parameters, or their many attributes, in any way you like.

noseman

Post by noseman » 14 Mar 2014, 12:29

good morning…
@Eugen, I'll be addressing all the topics in a few hours.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 14 Mar 2014, 12:37

Eugen wrote:Something else maybe worth mentioning:
XPresso's functionality can be mapped to ICE perfectly. You can deal with object's parameters, or their many attributes, in any way you like.
I read at C4DCafe from a Maxon employee that Xpresso has some nice similarities with ICE (haven't used).

As for the wacom ... I never tried using the mouse mode (I think it's to sensitive), but the pen mode works like a charm and with no lag (that I've experience in Maya or Max).