why not cinema 4d?

Discussions about migration to other software
Pancho

Re: why not cinema 4d?

Post by Pancho » 08 Mar 2014, 11:24

Well, you know how the dope pushers make money. The first few times are for free, but then you pay...

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 08 Mar 2014, 11:26

Pancho wrote:Well, you know how the dope pushers make money. The first few times are for free, but then you pay...
Need I remind you, you are presumably using Autodesk software now?
It's not as if Autodesk is a charitable organisation either...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

talent103

Post by talent103 » 08 Mar 2014, 18:00

I have heard the renderer is really slow on C4D. And no render passes? Gulp! What do you use to render in Cinema? BTW I will be giving C4D a try.
John

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 08 Mar 2014, 22:21

[flv][/flv]
talent103 wrote:I have heard the renderer is really slow on C4D. And no render passes? Gulp! What do you use to render in Cinema? BTW I will be giving C4D a try.
John
Nope, the render is very fast, and yes it have passes, what it doesnt have is partitions like XSI (although I dont know of a software who has it), although you can use buffers to separate the alpha of certain objects in your image for compositing, and C4D is fully integrated with Adobe After Effects.

Holger Biebrach

Post by Holger Biebrach » 08 Mar 2014, 23:35

Hello Dear Softimage Folks,
I feal a bit bad to just enter in this Forum like an Alien. I am sorry for that. I want to make clear that I am not a Marketing Guy nor am I in anyway connected Financially to MAXON. I am a passionate C4D-User since more than 10 Years. I have a Cineatic/Techincal Backround and since 2 Years I am Betatester for CINEMA 4D.
Recently I have read a lot about the unbelievable Autodesk-Descission to Kill Softimage. Somehow that touched me even if I have no connection to Softimage beside knowing Some User of Softimage. While Reading in this and other Forums I always wonder why C4D is not much of a topic for most of you. And if there is talking about C4D than there is so much misconception about the application that it hurts me as a Passionate user to hear that.
I decided to take action and make a big Video-Series on Youtube about C4D. It is an Overview so you can get an Idea about all the Important Asspects of the Programm. It is advanced knowledge and not targeted to 3D-Beginners. It is especially Targeted to you Softimage-User who will soon or later have to migrate to another Application.

Here is the youtube Description:
In this Series of Videos I want show you the main Concepts of working with CINEMA 4D. This Video is certainly not targeted to beginners but more for 3D Proffesionals who are considering to add C4D to their Workflow or even use C4D as their main APP.
Because of the current Event of Autodesk stopping the Development of Softimage I felt somehow very touched. Even if I don't have any connection to Softimage beside knowing some people using it.
Following the whole Discussion in the Softimage-Community I have the strong impression that CINEMA 4D is not considered as a viable alternative to Softimage. I really think it is, not in all but in almost all Aspects. In some Aspects C4D even succeeds all of its competitors. I want to give you an Idea of C4D as a very capable Application which can be used for big VFX and Animation Productions.
I just uploaded the First Part of the Series which is about General interesting Facts and Customization of C4d. In the coming Parts I want to cover a lot of stuff and also show some complex Projects I worked on. Also Character-Stuff, NonLinearAnimation, Watersettups, Particle-stuff etc.

I hope these Video can help you to get a better conception about C4D and don't feel offended by me stepping in here like a Marketing Guy...
I would really love to see some of you Guys coming over to C4D-Forum asking Questions. C4D has a very vital Community btw. and very helpful People.

Cheers, Holger Biebrach

Here is the First Part of the Youtube-Series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0WGzecSo2c
Last edited by Holger Biebrach on 09 Mar 2014, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 09 Mar 2014, 00:10

Hey Holger,

Very nice of you man. I'm sure all Softimage users will appreciate the gesture. I've used C4D and I really liked it (minus the pricing). It's a really powerful program and I tend to recommend to everyone.

I'll take a look at the video just to remember some stuff from C4D.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 09 Mar 2014, 00:33

Thanks holger. I will be seriously checking out C4D so the videos will be a big help. Where is the C4D forum?

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 09 Mar 2014, 00:45

http://www.c4dcafe.com - I think this is the best one, I really like it.
http://www.greyscalegorilla.com - Great for videos on the motion graphics realm.
http://www.cineversity.com - Lots of tutorials also.

One cool thing is to watch this videos from the presentations at SIGGRAPH. Very nice stuff.

http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/tutori ... raph-2013/

I must say some of this videos really made me want to try C4D again. It's a really powerful software.

And ... Kenny Roy (Animation Mentor) and some other guys are doing some animation with C4D. Until now, not much has been show ... but it's looking good.

http://www.the-ottoman.com/blog/

Holger Biebrach

Post by Holger Biebrach » 09 Mar 2014, 01:45

I am glad you appreciate my Attempt. I am just uploading the second Part of the Series.
The CGTalk-C4D group is very active.

noseman

Post by noseman » 09 Mar 2014, 03:08

Hi all,
my name is Athanasios (Thanassis for short and noseman for shorter).
I'm a certified Cinema 4D instructor and 3D generalist, not talented, but very motivated nevertheless.
I will be openly trying to convince you to give C4D a try, not because I will make any money, even though I wish I could, but because I love it, and believe it's a great tool that doesn't get the credit it deserves. I am also close friends with Maxon developers and staff, and one of the owners, even though some of them don't know that… I am not a stalker…
I don't do this out of pity to the SI community, mostly because I have no pity for talented artists and a great and historical tool. I do it out of pity to myself, so that I can offer a few great artists a service, and feel better about myself. It's cheaper than going to a shrink, to be honest.
I also own a license of XSI, albeit a very old one.

To my post now, as this was the introduction.
Please feel free to ask ANY question about C4D. I am willing to do whatever it takes to give you a clear vision of what C4D is, and does. That way only you will be able to make a choice, if you chose to do so.
Please, don't let your preconceptions overcome your thoughts, we are not vultures, although the thick smell of blood attracted me here.
Lastly, please don't turn this into a VS discussion. I have immense respect for all developers, of all software. If it wasn't for them, I'd probably be an errand boy…
So, what can I do for you?
a Mac, Cinema 4D & half a brain are all the tools I need

dude007

Post by dude007 » 09 Mar 2014, 04:13

I am currently using c4d alongside softimage XSI for my design classes. C4d is a very capable program all around. This is my simple observation of C4d so far; it has a good interface (not cluttered with icons and junk), quick internal rendering engine, operators are few and simple but flexible enough to get complex things done, and its animation tools capable enough to start making some decent animations going. For me at least it might be the closest thing to a generalist program you can get right now outside of Softimage XSI, minus the internal compositing engine. The polygon modeling tools feel limited in comparison to Soft but then again I have already gotten used to modeling in Soft. When I model in Softimage, my classmates are mesmerized at how quick I get things done. While I prefer Softimage above C4d it seems I might not be able to buy a license after graduation :(( , C4d right now looks like a fine alternative to look at if you are interested in a generalist app. I never got deep into ice and scripting but I have built some simple plug-ins, scripts, and ice compounds to use on the daily basis and create what I have wanted with my limited knowledge. I cannot say the same with C4d xpresso and mograph capabilities I haven't give it a good go at it, but looking at the motion graphic stuff on vimeo gives you an idea of what you can do there with just those tools.

noseman

Post by noseman » 09 Mar 2014, 14:54

MauricioPC wrote:And ... Kenny Roy (Animation Mentor) and some other guys are doing some animation with C4D. Until now, not much has been show ... but it's looking good.
http://www.the-ottoman.com/blog/
The Ottoman is not working with Kenny Roy. The Ottoman is the Brainchild of Mike Stamm, with Dimos Vrysellas(Who is a mentor at Animation Mentor) acting as the animation supervisor/Head of Animation.

here are the full credits:
http://www.the-ottoman.com/about/project.php

Thanks Mauricio for posting the links.
a Mac, Cinema 4D & half a brain are all the tools I need

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 09 Mar 2014, 15:26

Hey Athanasios,

Thanks for pointing out about the staff of Ottoman. My bad.

That project is looking very interesting.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Mar 2014, 22:52

Did I miss something or is there no Softimage retirement offer from Maxon?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

3DKiwi

Post by 3DKiwi » 10 Mar 2014, 08:19

Hirazi Blue wrote:Did I miss something or is there no Softimage retirement offer from Maxon?
There is currently no deals being offered by Maxon for Softimage users. You're best bet is to download the demo, try out C4D and if you like it, haggle over the price with your local Maxon reseller. If you wait a couple of months the usual pre the next version deals / discounts will probably be around as usual.

Cheers
3DKiwi

Holger Biebrach

Post by Holger Biebrach » 10 Mar 2014, 12:03

Hirazi Blue wrote:Did I miss something or is there no Softimage retirement offer from Maxon?
I would be surprised if Maxon doesn't come up with something. We will see. And as 3D Kivi said...you can wait for the frequently offers by Maxon.